BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Xfer Case ?

Ars3nal619

Farmall Cub
Was going to drain and fill but my fill looks to be blocked by the exhaust, is there a different location to fill ?

Attachments

• IMAG0160.jpg
    IMAG0160.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 126

Neo49

Farmall Cub
Don't think there is a different fill plug. You may have to fab a hose & come in from the hole (trans tunnel cover) in cab floor. I was able to do that on my 800 with a funnel & hose, but part of my floor is gone.
Scott

radar232

Binder Driver
Use the vent hole. (You can clearly see the silver vent deal in your photo.) The vent sets on top of the t-case right above the rear output.
From the picture you posted I can see through to your dash so I assume you have your tunnel cover removed. The vent plug is a great place to dump oil in but don't over fill it will come back out through the vent if you do. It should take about 2.5 quarts to fill.
I use Valvoline Vr1 straight 50 weight for my transmission and t-case.

Ars3nal619

Farmall Cub
Thanx guys for the quick responses.

Radar,

So i drain the old xfer fluid and then close it off. Should I then remove the fill and use the vent to fill it up and as soon as I see it leaking from fill I should be good to go right?

kingben01

Binder Driver
Use the vent hole. (You can clearly see the silver vent deal in your photo.) The vent sets on top of the t-case right above the rear output.
From the picture you posted I can see through to your dash so I assume you have your tunnel cover removed. The vent plug is a great place to dump oil in but don't over fill it will come back out through the vent if you do. It should take about 2.5 quarts to fill.
I use Valvoline Vr1 straight 50 weight for my transmission and t-case.

Don't forget to remove the fill plug so you know when it's full. Overfilling is bad.

scoutboy74

Lives in an IH Dealership
That's an early D20, which makes sense in a '72. Later D20's have the fill plug relocated to the rear surface away from the exhaust pipe. That doesn't help you out any. Its merely some useless trivia.

fredsterra

Y-Block King
Most parts stores will have a gear oil pump that will fit a quart bottle. Run the hose up to the fill and pump away until it starts to run out.

Even with the rear fill plug that is a simple way to do it.

mallen

Y-Block King
Most parts stores will have a gear oil pump that will fit a quart bottle. Run the hose up to the fill and pump away until it starts to run out.

Even with the rear fill plug that is a simple way to do it.

Or get a long piece of hose,and hook it to the end of a gear oil bottle. Now you can fill it by holding the bottle upside down and squeezing it. Alternately,put a hose in a gallon bottle. Use the largest ID hose you can fit in the hole. Fill the hose and tt WILL siphon,just slowly.I prefer a transparent hose such that you can leave a few loops on the ground so you can see where the fluid is and dont get a mouth full of oil or gas.

radar232

Binder Driver
Thanx guys for the quick responses.

Radar,

So i drain the old xfer fluid and then close it off. Should I then remove the fill and use the vent to fill it up and as soon as I see it leaking from fill I should be good to go right?

Thats what I would do. That's just a way, not the way. I too have a manual oil pump. They work great but take forever to transfer a qt of oil.

If your tunnel cover wasn't removed a better option would to simply push a piece of hose a couple feet long on the tapered tip of the oil bottle....

Stick the other end of the hose in the fill port of your t-case, invert the bottle and squeeze. Either way, thinking outside the box will get you a long way with a Scout.

Last edited:

Jay Tabor

Banned
have fun prying the crimped on cap off of the tc vent, then putting it back on . .
easier and more better permanent solution is move the exhaust pipe.
heat that mother up and flatten it some. so you can get a wrench in there, and a hose for refilling the tc.
then each year when you pull maintanence and change the tc fluid, it wont be a week long travail..
I never had much trouble with my side filled transfer cases . .

Jay Tabor

Banned
You aren't wrong. They are threaded. That's just Jay being Jay.

sure its threaded, but some will pry the cap off,! so I mentioned it,
since some folks tend to do the backwoods hillbilly approach to patching things...
so do it the right way and fill it thru the fill hole on the side of the transfer case!
get a gear oil pump -problem solved.

another quick easy way is all the gear oil plastic quart bottles have a fill snout on it,
plenty in yer garage if you look around . . slice the spout off half way down the cone, stuff a short piece of 3/8 hose on the end of the fill spout, [I have used clear plastic hose and fuel hose] stuff the other end of the hose in the tc fill hole and squeeze the bottle.

keep 4 quarts of gear oil and the hose in yer box of essentials in the back of yer scout, so if you're ever out on the road somewhere and develop a leak you can easily refill the tc/ trans or diff.

radar232

Binder Driver
I used to mess with all these backwards ways of filling a t-case or tranny, until I found this. It's an $8 multi use transfer pump. Will fill the t-case or tranny in 30 seconds or less.

Just spend the $8 and save yourself hours of frustration and spilled fluids.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html

Thanks for the link! If thats the type of pump everyone has been talking about then my bad. I was referring to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Metal-Oil-Can-Flex-Spout-Thumb/dp/B00383OREQ/ref=pd_sim_auto_8

Thanks for squaring me away. Jay on the other hand.....wow.

Fins160

Binder Driver
No problem. That little pump has revolutionized my automotive fluids experience. Differentials, tranny, t-case - I can do all my fluids faster than a Jiffy lube!

:wrenching:

guidolyons

High Wheeler
Yep. I have the pump that Fins160 posted. It sure makes filling transmission/tranfercases/axles much easier and faster.

Just fish the hose in and pump away.