BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Travelette to Dodge Chassis

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

JB M715

Farmall Cub
I posted this in the General IH Tech and got very little attention. This seems like the right place!

I just bought a 1965 Travelette D1200 4x4 with a 304 and 4spd. I’m looking to build a daily driver with a relatively modern ¾ ton chassis, suspension, brakes. Shooting for 20 mpg and manual transmission.

Only rig that I can think of is a 1994 - 1998 Dodge 12v Cummins, 5spd, 4x4

Anybody on here ever seen a mid 60's Travelette swapped onto a mid 90’s Dodge truck chassis?

I've searched quite a bit and found a few Cummins swapped into International chassis' but only one with a chassis swapped too.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/1-1-1-1-low-80.135975/page-2

I'm not afraid of stretching or shortening the Dodge frame to get the wheel base right. I'm leaning towards a longbed or flat bed rather than the bed that's on there now.

4 by Jasper Brodie, on Flickr

Packerrailway

High Wheeler
Is there anything functionally wrong with the IH frame? If you want the Cummins powertrain and modern axle/brakes, just swap those components.Unless you enjoy knuckle busting and redesigning thing on the fly. The Dodge frame WILL require modification(length and body mounts come to mind) the flip side is like the song, it's your party, do want you want. Just post up and share the fun and games!

Darrel

Lives in an IH Dealership
Are you planning on a lot of towing or just want the mpg of the Cummins? If you're not towing heavy somewhat often I would skip the Cummins. Regardless, I would be surprised if swapping frames is any easier than a drivetrain/axle swap.

JB M715

Farmall Cub
I've been down the road of "swap everything" on my Kaiser M715. It was a fantastic project but it took a significant amount of time. I am picturing the chassis swap going pretty smooth and relatively quick… probably because I’ve never done it before.

The IH frame looks pretty solid so far.

I want the tow capacity and MPG from the Cummins, nothing more than a utility trailer and dirtbikes for now but I’m planning on getting a toyhauler in the next couple of years. I'm not married to the Dodge chassis with Cummins, the only other truck that comes to mind would be an early 2000s Chevy with a 6.0 & NV4500.

The M715 has a 454, SM465, NP205, Dana 60, 14 bolt, 4.56 gears,40s, Detroit locker, hydroboost… blah blah blah, but I pieced it together part by part. Probably could save a bunch of time chasing parts if I just bought a complete truck to pull and swap into the IH frame...

Photo 383 by Jasper Brodie, on Flickr

Photo 382 by Jasper Brodie, on Flickr

Packerrailway

High Wheeler
Sure, buy a complete unit, it WILL save money. Time? not so much! GM axles might swap right in! of course you lose pass drop front end, but gain disc brakes. If speed is your goal then a modern powertrain is a must. If max GVR, running all day long, IH is hard to beat. They were designed and built for it. As said before it's your project, do what YOU want.

pscrambler

Binder Driver
I am getting ready to do this, someday... we have the same truck and I've measured and it seems that a 94 through 98 extended cab long bed is pretty much the same wheelbase. I too have been told many times that the axle swap in the engine swap is far better than the frame swap but I just don't see how. Everybody on Facebook told me I was crazy to put an 800 on a Scout II frame but it took less than a day for it to be bolted on. I think it's really just a preference thing and I would prefer to have the frame of the Dodge so the parts will be a little bit easier to find. My thoughts are to cut off the frame mounts from the travelette and then either remake those or hopefully just weld them on to the Dodge frame wherever they need to be. The Dodge frame does have a little bit more rise to it in the rear but I'm not sure how exactly it compares to the IH frame

Darrel

In the link above, 67 1100 onto a '92 Dodge frame, he ended up cutting and notching the frame on both ends and cutting out the floor so he could raise it 4 inches. Drive train/axle swap is basically 2 engine mounts, crossmember, radiator, spring perches, and shock mounts?

pscrambler

Binder Driver
In the link above, 67 1100 onto a '92 Dodge frame, he ended up cutting and notching the frame on both ends and cutting out the floor so he could raise it 4 inches. Drive train/axle swap is basically 2 engine mounts, crossmember, radiator, spring perches, and shock mounts?
Right, and to me that's the preference thing. and this is where i think you could make some body mounts instead of altering frame too much.. It's really an experience thing for me. I've never done a cut and turn or spring perches so I'm concerned about getting my geometry right. In my opinion it would be easier to alter the body of the IH, but I may be wrong. I also just like the idea of having the newer frame for a possible better ride.

Last edited:

Douchal

Farmall Cub
Just came across this thread. I have a '67 3/4 ton step side I want to do the exact same thing, for all of the reasons you give. Have you decided which way you're going on your build?

JB M715

Farmall Cub
I haven't fully committed in either direction but I did buy the donor truck. 96 Dodge 2500, diesel, manual. I'm still leaning towards the body swap, the Dodge wheel base is 155", the International wheel base is 141". So the plan is to get an 8' International bed and cut it down to match the dodge wheel base.

I need to spend some time under the dodge with a measuring tape...

file by Jasper Brodie, on Flickr

MrKenmore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Best of luck. Looks like a great project. I think I would do a running gear swap and retain the IH frame. I'm sure either way it'll be fun. :)

frifino

Farmall Cub
Sent you an email regarding hubs and differential pumpkins front and rear for Dodge M37. Thank you.

cudakota

Farmall Cub
As a Mopar fan, Cummins fan, and IH fan, this checks all the boxes. Looking forward to your progress!

FYI there was a build posted a few years ago here where somebody in San Diego put a Travelette onto a mid-90s Chevy 1500 pickup. Last I recall, he was trying to sell it. Here are the links in case it helps at all with figuring out a body swap.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?threads/crewzer-cab-transplant.91520/

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/...ssis-san-diego-california.127467/#post-921822

Darrel

Cutting down a bed instead of the frame is a great idea. Is that donor truck as clean as it looks?

JB M715

Farmall Cub
That Crewzer thread is pretty good, lots of content! thanks cudakota

The donor Dodge is as clean as it looks...but it has 417,000 miles...

Found this picture of a Travelette that is close to what I am shooting for.

First pic is the 6ft bed that's on there now, just for reference as it would require major frame surgery to accomplish.

Second pic has a 7ft bed, this would require moving the engine, trans, transfercase back 12".

Third pic has the 8ft bed, engine, trans, transfercase in stock Dodge location, but the front axle would need to move 12" forward (longer four link bars, move panhard bar, move steering box, move coil springs and shocks).

6 ft bed by Jasper Brodie, on Flickr
7 ft bed by Jasper Brodie, on Flickr
8 ft bed by Jasper Brodie, on Flickr

Eason Lilley

Farmall Cub
You need to look on Red Power magazine forums and Look up Danny Anderson aka Dirt Boyz He has already don't this and maybe can give you some tips. He's in Pine Island Mn.