BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Too Much Champagne

Binder TV

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
I used to use an engine hoist through the cab to lift those T19s. The tilting feature on these jacks makes it so easy.

I'm glad you said that, I had thought of at least trying that route. Since the dash is all apart in mine, it should make it even easier and no real chance of damage.

JJ in TN

Darrel

I'm glad you said that, I had thought of at least trying that route. Since the dash is all apart in mine, it should make it even easier and no real chance of damage.

JJ in TN

Another option is to weld up a platform for your floor jack. All the easier if the pad bolts on.

J.J.

Another option is to weld up a platform for your floor jack. All the easier if the pad bolts on.

Great plan B too!

Ratchet straps to keep it on the platform.

Or I’ll borrow yours next time I’m rolling thru from Ouray hahahaha

JJ in TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oneof3k

High Wheeler
Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
After thinking about the transmission/TC/PTO install over the weekend using the various suggestions above, I decided to try the engine hoist method as the transmission tunnel cover and the top was already off the Scout. We made it home by mid afternoon today and by beer thirty, the assembly was in place.

IMG_7579[5805].jpg

IMG_7581[5804].jpg

IMG_7584[5802].jpg

Wasn't the easiest install, but after I jockeyed the assembly left, right, up, down, and everything in-between, it finally went in. Well almost - I forgot about hooking up the winch driveshaft to the housing during the install. Now I'll have to loosen a driveshaft support or something downstream.

Thx again for the suggestions everyone, especially Darrel's hoist idea!

J.J.

See you’re getting the hang of it hahaha

I had tried this procedure yesterday in removing the 727 that I’m engaged in (thanks Greg ) but was afraid it was not possible with the top on.

However in my kitchen I’m going to try to install with mine just to see if I can hahaha

Speaking of Greg how’s the race going?

JJ in TN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mongocanfly

("Speaking of Greg how’s the race going? ")

Ed's winning..........................of course

oneof3k

High Wheeler
She Runs After 22 Years....

It's been really quiet here on BP the past few weeks. I suspect folks are out hunting and getting ready for cooler weather, etc. Or like me, procrastinating with updates. Speaking of BP, what's up with all the new adds? I certainly realize that some money needs to come in to support the moderators sailboats and what not, but this is getting ridiculous. If I didn't really enjoy the folks here on BP, I would certainly boycott this site. Take that!

So first things first. After I installed the transmission/TC last month, I got around to the drive shafts and related items. What I didn't consider was the continuous strap I used to lift the assembly now has a semi-permanent home. I should have used a chain or a strap with ends. As this is one of my favorite tree felling straps, I'm not going to cut it just to get it off. Rather, it's going to stay put until I take the truck apart down the road.

IMG_7583[5803].jpg

I pre-oiled the engine, replaced some of the water hoses, changed fluids, checked over the ignition components, and drained the 22-year old gas from the tanks. BTW, what came out of the gas tanks was much more viscous then gas and even after nearly a month in the sun, it still hasn't evaporated. I suspect that the lighter hydrocarbons volatilized and left me with something like molasses. Poured in a few gallons of new gas, let that sit for a week, drained that and then put some more new gas in. Instead of going to the carb, I ran a fuel line from the fuel pump to a container and pumped out the old gas in the lines. Then I added a new fuel filter and tried to start the sucker. No go in part due to no fuel getting through the carb. I don't want to bore anyone, but the next steps were to restab the dizzy, replace all the ignition components, rebuilt an existing carb, and put in a new battery. Presto, fired right up after 22 years of sitting on her a$$. Ran it to operating temp and believe me, it stunk up the garage big time mostly due to oil leakage on the head and exhaust manifold.

IMG_7648.jpg

IMG_7650.jpg

And in pursuit of an extra 10 hp, I (partially) cleaned the valve cover and intake manifold of 56 years of oil and dirt.

IMG_7649.jpg

In between the startup fiasco, I managed to loosen/remove/apply anti-seize/reinstall most of the hard-to-remove screws throughout the truck. I did this because I spent way too many hours drilling out the stripped screws on Barb way back when. These locations included all the bulkhead screws, the tailgate screws, and the lower door hinge screws that seem to rust in place. Happy to report that each and every screw was removed without a single mishap! Here's how I did it in case someone is at that stage in their build. I'm going to use the lower door hinge as the example.

First thing is to remove the fenders. In my case, this is mandatory as this will be a frame off restoration. This is what one is up against.

IMG_7636.jpg

While the undercoating helped, there's still plenty of cancer in the area in addition to the three subject screws being almost permanently bonded to the backing plate. (For the record, I was able to successfully remove the other nine screws from the door hinges using just a #4 phillips screwdriver.) The next step was to beat the sh!t out of the back of the screws using a drift and hammer.

IMG_7637.jpg

Then it was time for Mr. Heat.

IMG_7640.jpg

After a few minutes, I beat the sh!t out of the backs of the screws again, then I heated up the mess once again. Finally, I took my screw extractor gismo to the heads and slowly walked the screws out of their homes.

IMG_7641.jpg

Now I did this mostly to get a head start on the dismantling of the Lil Sh!t, but also, I had poor door closure and fitment. Here's a partial reason why:

IMG_7642.jpg

Three of the four hinges were bent. Beats me how someone could have done that? Anyways, the PS door now fits like new. The DS is beyond hope in the short term due to the kick plate and floor being rusted away.

The tailgate screws were removed in a similar manner except there is no access to the back of the screws so I had to heat up the front side many times, then very slowly walking the screws out over several days. This procedure WILL trash any paint in the immediate area, so take that into consideration.

IMG_7652.jpg

I strongly suggest using a rethreading tap and dye to clean up the nuts and screws.

IMG_7634.jpg

IMG_7635.jpg

That's it for another month or two. I hope to get her driving before she goes down for the next few years.

mongocanfly

nice that it cranked up for ya...
id watch that old molasses gas you got ..that stuff is highly flammable..same thing that blew up in my face back yrs ago

oneof3k

High Wheeler
id watch that old molasses gas you got ..that stuff is highly flammable..same thing that blew up in my face back yrs ago
No wonder you only post SpongeBob and cat pics everywhere!

I'm sure you're correct in it's flammability. I still have a few gallons left that I need to dispose of. I could dump it into a Toyota and it would probably still run! Many decades ago I was working on an Air Force Base in Michigan that had some heavier petroleum product floating on the groundwater surface. I bailed out many gallons of the stuff over a few days and was in the same dilemma. I ended up filtering the fuel through a coffee filter and then adding it to a diesel rental truck. Ran like a champ!

mongocanfly

yep...ive bumped my head a few times..!!!...
you talking about the ads..i dont know where all that came from..some people arnt seeing them at all..and some of us get swamped with em..

oneof3k

High Wheeler
Major Minor or Minor Major....

On a minor note, two or three weeks ago I managed to drive the Lil Sh!t around the neighborhood for the first time during my ownership. For the record, it's been at least 22 years since she moved on her own power. I wanted to perform a preliminary assessment of the engine, transmission, TC, and the other major component's health before I put her down for the next few years.

I almost had a JJ redo on my hands when I couldn't install the push rod that goes between the slave cylinder and the clutch fork as it was too long. My initial thought was that I installed either the bell housing/clutch/throw out bearing/transmission/etc. incorrectly. I was getting ready to grind off a 1/2" (pushing the easy button) when I borrowed one from Nancy and it still wouldn't work. That's when I stopped, took a break, and cracked a beer and thought about the situation. In order to gain the required space, I ended up adjusting the clutch/pressure plate. I never realized that just a couple of turns of clutch finger's screws translates to serious movement in the system. With a bit of trial and error, I was able to get the clutch adjusted correctly and the push rod fell into place. In hindsight, I installed a recently-acquired pressure plate without giving any thought to it's adjustment. Now I know better! Then I did the bare minimum to get her on the road; installed a new slave cylinder and bled the clutch and brakes.

The results? On an absolute scale, she seemed to be in reasonable shape but relative to Barb, what a piece of sh!t. Now I know where her name came from! Note to self, install a side-view mirror next time before attempting to drive this or any Scout!

I was happy that the turn signals, most lights, clutch, and to a much, much, much lesser extent, the brakes, all worked. No dice for the headlights and stop lights. Steering was remarkably tight. The odometer reads 10K and the speedometer was playing fair during the test drive so good money would suggest this Scout has 110K miles on the clock. Or maybe I can sell it in seven years with only 10K "original" miles. Wasn't it a barn find and the now dead farmer/rancher/owner only used it once a month to go to church?

On a major note, a couple of weeks ago I finally met Randy Barringer and his lovely wife. He had contacted me a while back to see if I was interested in providing him a "tour" of Coonrod's during a brief trip to CO, which I happily agreed to. (Any excuse to get up to Coonrod's is OK with me!) It was nice to finally meet him in person as he's been one of the many consistent supporters over the years (morally not financially). Now the community just needs to convince him to spend more than a couple of days here in CO next visit so we can all sit around that mythical campfire. With or without some of the other BP members too!

Randy1.jpg

Randy2.jpg

FYI, that gold Scout in the first pic has already provided the Lil Sh!t with several parts. Maybe not the DS fender though. The second pic was along the North Fork of the South Platte River. I'm guessing that Phil owns some 800-900-ish feet of river front.

On more minor news, I've started stripping the Lil Sh!t down to her bare bones so I can get started on the metal work. During the first build I would remove items like the brake/clutch pedals, exhaust, fuel tanks, dash, etc. on an "as needed" basis. Not this time. It's all gotta go now. Or yesterday.

IMG_7805.jpg

IMG_7808.jpg

IMG_7807.jpg

More details to follow in the next posting.

And finally on some more major news, the missing end panel for my new-to-me but used shed/shelter/garage/but unfortunately not a shop arrived and is now installed. While a bit tight, there's room for two Scouts if driven in back-to-back. Currently, Barb is in our driveway, the Lil Sh!t is inside the shop, and Nancy is at the back of the shed. So there's room for another Scout, preferably an Aspen Green CS. Or a RCS. Or??? Now I just need to convince Kate the CFO! 💰🎁💌🎉

shed1.jpg

shed2.jpg

shed3.jpg

Gotta love the four-legged Lil Sh!t checking out the exhaust for rodents!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Kate left me (hopefully only for the weekend) so I hope to get some real work in!

mongocanfly

If you noticed Josh, only the knees are worn out.
This means
A. Ed's spent alot of time on his knees asking Kate for more Scout money.
B. Ed's spent alot of time on his knees asking Kate for more Scout money..
C. Ed's spent alot of time on his knees asking Kate for more Scout money..
D. All of the above..

oneof3k

High Wheeler
Remember Gomer Pyle?....

I've been attacking this thing at my usual almost lackadaisical pace; 2-4 hours/day, maybe three to four times a week. With that caveat noted, I spent much of the past couple of weeks disassembling the hardware so I can get serious about the metal work. In no order what-so-ever, the gas tanks and lines were removed early on to lessen the chances of you reading about me in the obituaries.

DS tried my patience big time. Removed the cover and only left two of the seven bolts in place. Here's what surprise I found after removing the cover. Not sure if the Lil Sh!t spent a bunch of time swimming in mud or was parked for a decade in a windy area? Thankfully no major damage to the tank. But, surprise, I left half a bolt in place on all four of the bottom tank attachment legs.

IMG_7787.jpg

I thought I was having a wet dream when I migrated to the PS. Surprisingly, each and every bolt holding the cover and the bottom tank attachment bolts came right off, almost finger tight!

Here's what the tank on that side looked like.

IMG_7797.jpg

Other then the obligatory mouse habitat, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the tank had been removed, refurbished and readied for prime time not too many miles ago. Even the fuel line was newer (or at least not rusty) and, more surprising, the fuel filler neck was replaced and is still pliable thus still useable! Insides of both tanks were clean as a whistle and don't leak. What a nice surprise.

Removed the steering wheel and column after fighting the horn button. Here's a surprising little trick that Kate suggested. Hope I can remember that one even if the channel locks are not quite in the correct place for the photo op.

IMG_7764.jpg

Then it was onto the dash, brake/clutch pedals, accelerator assembly, and the other stuff that will, someday, be in the way.

IMG_7771.jpg

IMG_7786.jpg

I left the interior electrical harness in place for a few days to check out the circuits. Everything either worked or I was able to get working. Except the stop lights.

IMG_7861.jpg

Only found a few PO "fixes" to date, which I'll label as surprises. The worst was the ignition switch. Some of the circuits are still labeled and the ones that aren't are easy to determine. I'll probably have to extend some or all the circuits someday to reach a new period-correct ignition switch.

IMG_7778.jpg

IMG_7784.jpg

IMG_7833.jpg

When I was up at Coonrod's a few weeks ago giving Randy a tour, I asked Phil's wife Maggie if he would be willing to bring back some sheet metal to save me a few pennies in shipping. He did. Surprise, surprise, surprise!

sheet metal.jpg

Thus far, it's pretty much the usual cancer. I'm hoping to save a portion of the DS floor pan. Time will tell.

And one has gotta love the not-quite-up-to-my-standards headliner. Repurposed as a oil and dirt catcher!

Finally, I found a good use for the rusted area in the DS kick plate.

IMG_7964.jpg

Binder TV
Binder TV