BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toms 79' "WoodBine Beaster" Canadian no longer a mess SSII!

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

Lars-S

Binder Driver
Surprise ... Surprise ... it IH Green .. well definitely green :O)

winchested

Lives in an IH Dealership
Surprise ... Surprise ... it IH Green .. well definitely green :O)
We originally wanted like a slate blue, but when my neighbor resided his house a few years ago I mentioned that and guess what color he picked haha.

But my wife picked this and it looks good.

I did it all myself so it ain't a profess job but has cost me only paint. Had a quote and was quoted over $3K to paint it, f that.

These houses were built late 40's early 50's with Litterally scrap wood from an Armories fire they are all ship lap sided and were then topped with aluminum in the 70's.

Thought about residing but the $15-20k (with a couple windows) isn't in the cards... That's scout monies..

Lars-S

Binder Driver
I did it all myself so it ain't a profess job but has cost me only paint. Had a quote and was quoted over $3K to paint it, f that.
Looks Great .. heck looks like a $5k paint job ... and your wife's choice is excellent.. looks good on a house.

Higgy

Farmall Cub
Nice! In this housing market it must be worth about 2.5 M now up by you guys eh!! Nice to knock a few things off the 'to do' list.

winchested

Nice! In this housing market it must be worth about 2.5 M now up by you guys eh!! Nice to knock a few things off the 'to do' list.
Haha, paid $173 for it appraised at $400k before we painted it. Freaking hilarious! However we can't afford to buy nothing else lol. Don't want to be house poor. Been in it 13 years.

My neighbor has been here since the 50s. His house was $6000, my house sold the first time for $10,000...

winchested

Rained all day so spent the day cleaning the shop then made it a mess again tearing down front Dana 60's.

Dodge housing is 4.88s, crappy Chev housing was 4.10s, good Chevy housing had 4.56's so the better open carrier.
Will use that carrier with a front auto locker. However all the bearings are roasted because housing had water in it.

Just fun tearing shit apart lol!

Been awhile since I have been working on parts!

Going to look on Sunday at a fellas place to see if he has a rear 60 housing that has 1.6" bored spindles so I can run 35 spline 1.5" shafts without having to bore my current rear.
6ec18bd9ddd83f925768f608a436ae34.jpg
dff44090e6af446947db2f37583a72c3.jpg

winchested

Got the dodge housing tore down. Believe I'm going to use this one. It's about 2" Less in width than the GM housing. Long side shafts are the same short side 1.5" shorter.

This one has the heavy C's tie rod mounts are 1" higher. I have TMR high steer mount for pass side. One alum one and one steel one for if you want to run double shear drag/ tie.

Already has 4.88s. I'll put an auto locker in it for now. Running gm hubs and spindles, GM Workhorse dual Piston brakes. Just need new 35 spline lock outs. A new inner short side thick shaft and two heavy 35 spline stub shafts.

Going to take my time building these out.

Going to look at some rear 60s tomorrow that might have the large bores to run 35 spline 1.5" shafts.
4430e90227785babf0c225f4a37f6e9d.jpg

winchested

That Dodge Dana 60 looks very serious.
Yep she's beefy! Got to figure out leaf placement and do I stick with 2" or go to 2.5" springs up front if I do then I need to cut off and weld on new front spring hangers... Hmm research!

Nice thing is the dodge w350 60 shares short side inner shafts with Ford and long side shafts with Chevy.

Darrel

I didn't know they shared shafts that's very cool. Only 60s I've seen personally with the big bore spindles were in vans. Ford and Chevy. Also came in a few $ muscle cars and maybe J20? Good luck.

winchested

I didn't know they shared shafts that's very cool. Only 60s I've seen personally with the big bore spindles were in vans. Ford and Chevy. Also came in a few $ muscle cars and maybe J20? Good luck.
Thank's Darrel. Kinda like making a 60/70 hybrid is my plan.

You've got a 60 up front right? You do a cut N turn or using a standard driveshaft? How'd you mount the leaf springs? I want to mount the axle 1" forward of standard. So I either cut down a new 3 hole perch and weld it to the housing/pumpkin on the pass side to get my pinion angle at 10-12 deg.

Seems the stock dodge/Chevy housings are 5-6 deg caster and 5-6 deg pinion angle at a level spring perch.

Darrel

No cut/turn since I had a Ford HP 60, which I swapped for a Ford HP 44. If you have to cut off your hangers might as well go 2.5" spring. If not then maybe military eyes will hold up.

winchested

No cut/turn since I had a Ford HP 60, which I swapped for a Ford HP 44. If you have to cut off your hangers might as well go 2.5" spring. If not then maybe military eyes will hold up.
No military eyes on mine just full length leafs that I cut the eyes off under the main leaf. So all my springs have 1 extra full leaf.

So I have to turf the idea of the dodge 60 up front. The WMS is perfect but the short side spring spacing is just off enough that I would have to shorten the long side by 1" to get WMS equal on both sides of both springs.

Sticking with the GM 60 as there is enough wiggle room to just drill a hole about 1/2" beside the original spring pin hole to get the WMS equal on both sides.

Ill likely just run adapters in the rear to get the WMS closer. 1.5" adapters in the rear will give me equal WMS front and back. Or I can just keep the rear narrower to help with turning. Looked at a Dodge rear 60 that has the big 35 spline spindle bores but he wants $350 for it and I'm not sure my Ford Disc set up would swap over.

If I can't get my spindle bores machined for under $300 I'll just be buying a rear disc 14 bolt and scrap the idea of the rear 60.

I think I am just going to stick to leaf springs.

The only downside I find is the bit of axle wrap upfront and it bouncing and unloading a bit. But I can live with that. This isn't a comp rig.

winchested

Also read up on using angle caster shims on both sides of the pass spring pack when rotating the Dana 60 upward for pinion angle with CV. Right now with a flat perch it is 6 deg, so if I rotate it 6 degrees more with a Shim on that side. I then need to cut and turn my Cs to get back to 6 deg.

Darrel

What spacing are you set up for? I take it the cast boss for the two leaf spring studs is keep you from moving the spring over enough. Is there enough meat to cut that down and drill 2 new stud holes?

winchested

What spacing are you set up for? I take it the cast boss for the two leaf spring studs is keep you from moving the spring over enough. Is there enough meat to cut that down and drill 2 new stud holes?
No there isn't enough meat unfortunately. The Scout II spacing is 31". The GM is like 31.5, so it's real close. The dodge spacing is way wider.

Darrel

I see. Aren't you tempted to move your hangers so you can use the narrower Dodge. They're 2" narrower than Chevy?