BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Take 20 key turns to crank over

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

scorp1us

High Wheeler
I replaced the NSS and starter... and the problem continues to get worse. I'm thinking whatever contact it makes when I turn the key it makes is bad.

Each time I hear the solenoid click, but the starter doesn't turn. But like I said, I just replaced the entire starter today.
What could it be?

MyDieselScout2

Farmall Cub
Check the battery contacts, clean the posts and ground wires and insure you have solid contacts from ground to battery. It's sound like energy loss. You might have a faulty wire connection. Bad battery wire.

If you jump it and it stars, that's an indicator wires contacts are faulty.

I would say it's the Ignition module or coil are faulty, but those only fail if it's too hot, or just won't start at all.

Could also be a worn out ignition switch. All depends if your stater is getting full load.

I'd start with battery wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff Jamison

Lives in an IH Dealership
If you jump the s on the starter to the battery terminal ,will it crank normaly,this will eliminate the battery,battery cables and the starter itself.

scoutboy74

This issue has nothing to do with the coil or electronic module. Those items among others, allow the engine to light off and run once it is being cranked over. They play no role in engaging the starter motor. My suspicion would be cast strongly towards the column mounted IGN SW at this point.

scorp1us

High Wheeler
Well, Occam's Razor. It was the ignition switch. I wish I'd have known that before I spent time (and money) putting in a new starter.
Given the relative low cost ($15) and simplicity, I don't know why this isn't first.

scoutboy74

Yep. In other words, a logical and methodical diagnostic process. This thread kind of brought us in after work and parts had already been replaced, rather than at the beginning of the ordeal. But, I'm glad you got it figured out. The minor sting of replacing parts that weren't broken will stick with you for awhile and inform your approach the next time you have an issue to tackle.

Darrel

If that starter was the original unit I hope you didn't give it to the parts store as a core.

Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Super Mod from Downunder
Staff member
Administrator
put a starter relay on it. One of those small 30 amp mini relays, the key switch circuit is under rated for the current the starter solenoid requires as indicated by the audible click. Usa the original start wire from the key to trigger the relay.

wjajr

Binder Driver
I don't think you need to install a secondary relay to operate starter relay; just my two cents. New ignition switch solved the problem of high resistance worn out contacts in old switch. Next time diagnose first, and don't throw parts at some problem until you stumble onto a fix. Dough spent for new starter would have fetched a test light, VOM, compression tester, vacuum gauge, and probably some other goodies.

Patrick Morris

Well, Occam's Razor. It was the ignition switch. I wish I'd have known that before I spent time (and money) putting in a new starter.
Given the relative low cost ($15) and simplicity, I don't know why this isn't first.
I'm curious how hard it was to swap out the switch. I carry a spare in my Scout, but since the switch sits atop the column, the job looks like a PITA.

2022 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous
2022 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous