BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T-Handle lock change

2022 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

Bill USN-1

Staff member
Saw the question earlier and since I needed to do mine I figured it was a good time.

First, the procedure is not in my manual!
So I can't tell you if this is the right way, but it is how I did it.

The tumbler needs to be in the unlocked position.

EDIT....I felt I should highlight this since we are talking about 30 year old vehicles!!!! If you don't know what PB Blaster is...you need to find out!!!!!
And use it!

I recommend PB blaster in the lock before you start!
so.

If you look at the bottom side of the handle, there is a real small hole about the size of a paperclip.
liftgatelock_0649a.jpg

Now you can use a paper clip, safety wire, or a torch tip file works real good!

So you understand, The gold ring at the end is what you are pushing on. It locks the cylinder into the handle.
But take a look at the tumblers. They also stick out when the key is not in the lock.
liftgatelock_0654a.jpg

So if you don't have the original key you can not retract the tumblers.
Well what I did is take a piece of safety wire and slip it into the the tumbler, then I took an old key and slipped it in on top.
This was enough to release the tumblers.
Then I stuck the wire in the hole and released the tumbler from the handle.
liftgatelock_0650a.jpg

So, what happens if the tumbler won't release?
plan B.

liftgatelock_0655a.jpg

A slide hammer works great. Just make sure you still release the lock ring with the wire.

Then you just put the new key in the new tumbler and slip it in the hole till it catches. After you cleaned and lubed it with some graphite.

Look close inside before slipping it in. There is a small little tit that has to line up with the back of the tumbler assy.

Now for the alternative.
Here is the T-handle from Lowes. about $7. that and a piece of alum to make a base and you are set. Just double nut the screws for the handle so they can't be removed from the outside. Then cut the square shaft to length.

liftgatelock_0657a.jpg

Last edited:

Erik VanRenselaar

Y-Block King
The big question is: can an IH tumbler be made to fit and work in the hardware store T-handle?

I already have four keys for my Scout (ignition, doors/T-handle, fuel cap, hitch pin lock); all I need is one more :(

I guess if I key the doors to the new ignition lock, I could end up with four keys total. I really like having the ignition key separate from the doors/liftgate (a-la GM style), though.

D

Doug Shailor

Very well done, Bill!! This should become an FAQ.

I have done this a number of times and the penetrating oil is a very good idea. I have even drilled out enough of the old cylinder to break it up but you have to be very careful or you can destroy the cylinder seating area and ruin the locking function.

I looked in my service manual too and could not find this info either. It must have been included with the first replacement set I bought way back when from Rod Phillips at Giddum' Up Scout and I "moved" it in my mind. :rolleyes:

Jim Grammer

Editor at large
Staff member
2 more tips:

Faced with the missing key syndrome, you can use one of the 'wiggle wire' lock picks to get the tumbler pins retracted. The difficulty with this is that you also need to pull on the tumbler while depressing the locking ring. Can you say Three Hands? ;)

I am having stellar results using moly/graphite spray lube in lock mechanisms. I have a number of padlocks exposed to the weather, and this stuff keeps 'em working slick. My can is 'Sprayon' brand, FWIW.

TOM O.

Farmall Cub
Bill, thanks for the great tip. I ran outside and performed magic. two locksmiths in town couldnt get the cylinder out.Using the safety wire trick I now can get into my buddys scout and scoot the seat all the way up, crank the radio. Tom.

Baradium

Lives in an IH Dealership
If you have a friendly local IH dealer (and I mean a *friendly* one, not just local), they can get them. You can order by key code too and match locks (say you have two scouts and want 1 key to work on all the locks).

J.J.

Thanks Bill, I performed this tonight. The T handle on my '75 was cracked, and I had a better one with a key on a top that I bought off a local guy yesterday. Since I wanted to keep my original one key for the entire truck this was helpful to me and my cause. I had always just drilled them out in the past but I really didn't want to destroy the lock cylinder. Of note, as Bill points out, lots and lots of PB Blaster. I put the T handle in a vise so it would run down in there and stay, also jiggled the key back and forth to make sure it was loose. It literally fell out of the original T handle. The donor took a bit more finagling but I got it done. If a guy had three hands it would make it easier HAHA. In the end, I sorta pushed the key sidewise to get it to bite a bit and pulled it out.

Worked like a charm! Another reason I love this website and the knowledge on it!

IMG_6880.jpg
IMG_6881.jpg

JJ in TN

MrKenmore

Looks like the same lock cylinder for the D series Travelall. My original one would just drop out LOL! I got a brand new one keyed to with everything else and it clicked in good. Not sure how to remove it!

I have some locksmith experience in the commercial door business. We use what is called a "control key". This is a key that is a little longer that the regular key so it would make it in far enough to "activate" the retaining ring / tab. I wonder if this is similar.

J.J.

Matthew, is is the same as the Travelall rear window ones, and the door the same on the early Scout IIs. I used one off a Travelall in my '76 Scout II T handle. Seems like I removed the entire round part off the back of the Travelall and you could see it held in by a single Phillips screw seen from the tailgate side. Gotta have the original key to disengage the tumblers. I think the only way to remove it thru the pin hole, I see the wisdom of a control key but in looking at the lock cylinder itself I don't see how that would engage it. I could be wrong, but I do know it will not come out unless the tumblers are retracted.

JJ in TN

J.J.

J.J.

I agree, it sure looks the same. Bill does state in his write up that one will need an aluminum plate. I believe it would work. Heck if its wrong take it back to Lowes!

JJ in TN

scout2000

Can you use the other T handle on the scout and it work like original part..

I've been watching this discussion for a while. Wondering if you, or anyone here tried out the alternate T-handle like you have shown in the picture ?

IndyScout II

Farmall Cub
I bought another factory stock T- Handle off someone else.. still is not working like it is suppose to.. I will probably look into buy and trying the T- Handle from lowes and just letting if it works.If not i can always return it..I am also having a problem with getting the locking cylinder out of the handle.. Im not sure why it is so hard for it to come out??? Any help with that would be great!!