BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Stands On Giants" Raffle Scout II Is Back

Binder TV

Steve V

Farmall Cub
Some of you may remember the "Raffle Scout" that raised a few eyebrows a year or so ago. They were selling $25.00 raffle tickets to this truck that they claimed to have spent $75,000.00 on it's restoration. If I recall there wasn't anything concrete about the about the organization ("Stands On Giants" in Las Vegas) that sponsored the raffle. I don't remember what happened to the raffle, it seemed to fizzile out, but browsing thru ebay today I see the truck is up for auction. Since the Scout is still for sale it seems like they didn't actually raffle it. I was just curious if anyone ever bought any of those raffle tickets or if someone out there knows "the rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say!
Steve Veatch

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31846&item=2419531190

Last edited:

Baradium

Lives in an IH Dealership
Interesting....

It's even in the same city it was in before.

I guess it's possible they refunded all the money in the raffle when they didn't have much interest? But now there isn't a claim of a charity...

They have a first bid of $10,000 and then a reserve on top of that? I don't even see them getting a bid on that one really, SSS sold a fully restored traveler for less than thier first bid...

I also don't see how they could have possibly spent that much money on that scout. Where could they find $75,000 worth of stuff to do to it?

Tonka Toy

Binder Driver
Damn 'dat shore is purdy! :)

I was not on this board last year, so I am unsure about how much if any real raffle action it received. But as I understand the laws regarding raffles, if you sell tickets to an item then do not give it to a "winner", well,.... it's just not legal I think. For anyone that bought any "raffle tickets" for this truck, they might want to investigate. By law you may be enitiled to receive your money back, I dunno, I'm not a lawyer. Just seems kinda fishy. Then again, it might be being sold by the winner of the raffle, who knows.

As for the Scout itself, it is really beautiful! :D It appears that someone invested alot of time, money and especially love into it to make it so nice. My main thing is the motor. What do they think it is, a drag truck? Really overkill if you ask me. I'd venture to say that most of that mysterious $75,000 figure is in the engine compartment. As for me, drop in a nice 304 or 345 and forget about it.

David Van Vorous

High Wheeler
Ummmm,

Maybe my old eyes need recal but when one scrolls down all the pics to the "available documentation" pic and takes a nice hard long look one might see a 1975 IH owners manual for the 1979 Scout II theyre selling...:rolleyes:

Will say that its a purdy rig, just not exactly $75k worth of purdy.

D.

Brian Dalton

Your Low Post Leader Since 1999
FWIW, I called the contact phone number and talked to the owner of the Scout. He said the terms of agreement between himself and the charity were not met last year. I assume not enough tickets were sold. He added that all the money was returned to raffle entrants. He decided to just try and sell it outright this time. Claims his dad bought it new, and he has had it 14 years. In the 90's he restored it to original then decided later to do it up the way you see it now. I didn't press him on how he arrived at the asking price, but I left the door open and he wouldn't walk through it. Seemed like a pleasant guy on the phone and willing to consider trades or whatever. Just thought all you guys with deep pockets would like to know!! :D

Brian

Throttle_Jockey

Farmall Cub
I could see 75000 into it but only because he payed someone to do everything for him, and payed possibly twice or more of what labor should be. If I had $75000 to spend on a vehicle, I'd be in contention for winning the baja race down in Mexico;)
Nick

REF

Farmall Cub
75,000.00-----where??? There are a lot of things 75,000 would get me and this Chevy(I mean Scout) is not one of them.

Wonder what his reserve is??

REF

Binder79er

Farmall Cub
Originally posted by Throttle_Jockey
I could see 75000 into it but only because he payed someone to do everything for him, and payed possibly twice or more of what labor should be.

Oh yeah... 3 to 4K for a fiberglass tub plus install. Oh yeah and its a Scout, so that'll be an extra 10% :D

David Van Vorous

High Wheeler
In some ways I could see how the price got racked to the level it is. Frame reso, engine work, new trany-transfer cases, fibreglass tub, custom paint, etc. You add your time in at what ever $$$ plus the original price of the vehicle was and with a little creative accounting, wala a $75k valuation.

As a DIY type, Id much rather build than buy but some are in it more for immediate gratification or dont have good "hands on" skills so they buy the build instead.

Be real interested in wheather or not it changes hands, it didnt the last time it it was posted on ebay last year and it didnt as a rafflemobile either. Either way it should be interesting... ;)

D.

Throttle_Jockey

Farmall Cub
Yeah it doesn't matter whether he put a million dollars into it or a couple of thousand, it's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And for 75000 I better be getting something that will pull 7 second quarter miles or less.:D

Baradium

Lives in an IH Dealership
Had a neighbor back in GA with a '67 corvette stingray. Full frame off restoration, looked like it did new and it was a high optioned car. convertible, 427 V8 with a 6pack and a 4spd. Black with a red stinger. It was a gorgeous car. I heard he did have someone bring him $40,000 in cash to buy it from him... the point is, that scout does not look as good as that car did, and that car was a vette and just brought $40 grand. I don't see that scout going anywhere near that. Especially since even the Shawnee scout didn't even get any bids when it went up for auction.