SSIIBuild, build thread

Discussion in 'Southeast Binders Association' started by Randy Groenhof, Aug 17, 2008.

1. Randy Groenhof

Randy Groenhof Binder Driver

Here is a shot of the completed mounts. I used a 3/4 hole saw for the shock bushing holes and they fit really nicely.
    [​IMG]
    I didn't have enough hands to keep all the bushings lined up for assembly so I used super glue to hold them in place until all the hardware was in.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now that the radiator is positioned better we can use stock hoses for both.
    [​IMG]
    With that step done, I knocked the dents from the passenger fender.
    before
    [​IMG]
    after
    [​IMG]
    It's far from perfect but great for a wheelin rig.

2. SCscoutguy

SCscoutguy Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Looking really good Randy. I can't wait to see what you do with the new front 60.

3. Randy Groenhof

Thanks John. We have a lot of neat stuff left to do, the finished product should be a very fun scout.

Jason and I got a good bit done today. We started with getting the new t-19 wide cleaned, painted and ready to be swapped in.
    [​IMG]
    While that was drying we pulled the current t-18 dana 20 combo.
    [​IMG]
    Nothing says cool like a nappy red trans/t-case. Once that was out I pulled the clutch while Jason pulled the bell housing off the t-18
    [​IMG]
    The clutch looks to be in good shape, I'll get the flywheel turned tomorrow to remove some heat checking.
    [​IMG]
    Check out Jason's determination while fighting the sludge from the bell housing hardware. I also made a brace to hold the motor up so we can easily change the oil pan, rear main and side seals before the trans goes back in. It's hard tell in the picture but we still have room to change the rear main with it in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I also modified the cross member while is was out. If you have ever pulled or installed a scout front drive shaft this will need no explanation.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That's gray primer it's gloss black now. We also started in on the twin stick conversion on the dana 300. I'll add that to the thread once it's complete. Between mini projects we also cleaned and painted the bell housing and front 60.
    Everything went well today except finding on bad thing with the drive shafts. Free SEBA membership to the first person to find the problem
    [​IMG]

4. SCscoutguy

SCscoutguy Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Randy it looks like you are going to have to change over to CV style yokes and does the drive shaft on the right have a bigger than 1310 u joint in the double cardon joint?

5. Randy Groenhof

Both are 1310 at the t-case and the swapping yokes was expected.

6. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Alright Randy . What is the problem with the shafts. I have been staring at the picture for an hour. The only thing I see dif. are the coarse thread bolts except one fine thread.:online2long:

7. TheDon

TheDon Binder Driver

Only thing that looks funky to me is that the far right bolt in the photo isn't square with the rest. But that might be just the way the photo is taken.

8. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

We have a winner!! Congrats Levi!!

PO forced the course thread bolts through the fine thread holes on all but one. So needless to say, the threads are a little boogered up on the shafts.

9. SSIIbuild

SSIIbuild Binder Driver

Now why am I not suprised?:dig:

I finally got to visit my new toys the other day. Mainly because I just felt like driving across the country. But I am very excited about both new toys, especially "Number 2"s progress. :hammer:

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  10. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Ha.... After staring for an hour I noticed that the bolts on the shaft on the left looked like they were boogered up then I sae the fine thread bolt on the left. So when do I collect my PRIZE???:D

11. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

To bad Levi, it seems you have already collected the prize. Thanks for playing, stay tuned for further contests and prizes.

12. Randy Groenhof

It's that time again, update time. Jason and I started on the dana 300 twin stick conversion Sunday and this is the end result. Jamie had 2 sets of dana 18 shifters in his stash so we used two of the short shifters. The common method for using these shifters is to weld the slots in the shift rails solid then grind notches into the top side of the rails for the shifters. We wanted to use a different method that didn't require hacking the shift rails. We used 1/2" sch40 pipe to slide over the end of the rail, then drilled it for a 1/4 bolt through the pipe and the stock pin hole in the rail. with that in place we welded tabs to the pipe for the shifter to drop in. we used the stock shifter mount just a little differently. I think it turned out fairly clean, what do you think?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here is the stock dana 20 setup for comparison
    [​IMG]
    Next up was to add some IH Only bling, motor and trans mounts. The cross member is an early style with narrow slots for the trans. mount so they needed to be re drilled to accept the RPT mount.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. lev1a

lev1a High Wheeler

Pretty slick twin stick setup. Nice clean work:rockon:

14. mormetl

mormetl High Wheeler

That is definitely a killer mod on the twin stick setup. Not just piece meal, that's for sure. Love the mods, can't wait to see them in person. I see Roadkill in the background of one of those pics - can't wait to get her back as well. I've got a surprise for the ol' girl when I get down there.

15. ClemsonScout

ClemsonScout High Wheeler

You and your damn surprises!

Randy,

The TC mod looks clean. Its surprising that it isn't a standard mod with prefabbed parts. Nice work!:beta1:

16. jhnyct

jhnyct High Wheeler

I think I know . . . but I'm not telling.:sorcerer::punk:

When are you going to make it down Nate?

17. mormetl

mormetl High Wheeler

I'm hoping when I get back from this CA trip. I should be home on Sunday.

On another note, when are you going to add a new hood scoop to this rig, Randy? That opening in the hood is cool and all, but I think some blingin' is in order. How 'bout somethin' breather like?:eek:

18. SSIIbuild

SSIIbuild Binder Driver

[/QUOTE]Randy,

The TC mod looks clean. Its surprising that it isn't a standard mod with prefabbed parts. Nice work!:beta1:[/QUOTE]
    It may be now. All it takes is someone to come up with a new method and bam it will show up everywhere. Now if only I had any ideas. Looks wicked. Can't wait to get more visitation privileges.
    By the way. Loved that drive home. Those are some great curves. My little malibu (loaded with the dana 44) had a great time taunting a mustang GT. Was a little hairy at spots as my nonsport tuning isn't perfect. Haha

19. SSIIbuild

SSIIbuild Binder Driver

I'm trying to talk Randy into doing some custom metal work. Something like commercial heating/air conditioning duct. I thought would look cool. Like a rectangular parascope. That way I can still see if I submerge it. Haha

20. Jeff Joyce

Jeff Joyce Binder Driver

The slip-over pipe "fitting" with the bolt through is slick! Did you come up with that on your own or did you shamelessly steal it from something you've seen before?

It's inspiring me to clean up my spare D20 and get to work on a home brew twin-stick setup. I suppose you can recreate those shifters with some rod, thick tubing, and bent flatbar.