BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

speed sensor part number..need help locating

Binder TV

jeeps2creep

Farmall Cub
Hello all, was just looking at the GREAT posts on fuel injection and wanted to know what the basic 2 pole speed sensor part number is that I can use with a 1227747 ecm? I found a bunch you can buy for a 100.00 bucks but think there is a cheaper way to do this from other sources like the parts store and junk yard. I found one that I think will work that came from a dodge but am not sure because I cant find the tech data for it anywhere. If someone can clue me in on a part number or two to work with it would be appreciated.

Bill USN-1

Staff member
Been kicked around a little and even discussed recently on another board.

The one I use is in the FAQ under parts required. It's from JTR and cost about $75.( I now carry them in stock in the machine shop forum)

There are several alternatives to that.
If you are just looking to have a VSS signal to get rid of a VSS light then just about any signal will do that.
If you want the speed to read fairly close to actual on the WinALDL dash..then that will require the right VSS (and a calibration module to compensate for gears and tires) Adjusting for gears and tires is not an option in these ECM's.

These have not been proven yet for proper signal so it's on you till they are.

This will be your cheapest conversion.
Looks to be the simple driveshaft add on for cruise controls.
Just use the right number of magnets for the number of pulses required.
Ours shoud be 2.

If my audiovox CC came with one in the box then I will install it and let you know. I just run the input off my JTR VSS so I never tried to install it!

RPC-250-4165 $19.95
Estimated Ship Date: Today

Brand: Rostra Precision Controls
Product Line: Rostra Vehicle Speed Sensors
Number of Wires: 2
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Magnetic pickup style.

Vehicle Speed Sensor, 2-Wire, Magnetic Pickup, Universal, Each

rpc-250-4165_w.jpg

This is close to what I am using but mine is 7/8 inlet and outlet.
Still should work if it's the right number of pulses.

RPC-250-4153 $42.95
Estimated Ship Date: Today
Application Show All

Brand: Rostra Precision Controls
Product Line: Rostra Vehicle Speed Sensors
Inlet Attachment: Male threads
Inlet Size: 7/8-18 THD
Outlet Attachment: Male threads
Outlet Size: 5/8-18 in.
Number of Wires: 2

rpc-250-4153_w.jpg

I got this one with my Audio Vox cruise control and will try to mount it this week and see what the signal reads.
The obvious answer is use 2 magnets and get 2 pulses per revolution.!!

1534Audiovox_2403.JPG

1534Audiovox_2406.JPG

1534Audiovox_2407.JPG

Google...

The Controls: JCW sent me a small control panel that is surface mounted and could be placed just about any where. That part number is 204-4110, Click here for picture of the controls.

The Cruise Control was ordered from J.C. Whitney, P/N 78DN7618F.
The Mfg. is SCS/Frigette and their P/N are listed below:

SCS 4365 Cruise Control $229.95 (4/99)
208-3609 Speed Sensor

208-3606.jpg

From John N.
Hey I found one that is cheap and looks like it will work.
Looks just like the one from summit that was the Rostra brand only the VSS is metal instead of plastic.

I got it from a company called Jackson's Complete Auto Care. The part # is a 208-3606. I don't know the brand, nothing on the package for brand name either.

I'll try to post some pics when I can. It comes with the adapter cable and wire plugs and a bracket for the cable that holds the add on CC cable at the carb/TB.

I didn't check to see what the complete CC set up would cost but the VSS was $26.50. Not too bad. I will wire it up tonight and see what it does. If it works I'll post the contact info for Jackson's. Maybe even get a brand name and cut out the middleman and get it even cheaper.

Couldn't wait any longer to hook up the VSS so I did it. Only took about 20 min after getting my stuff together.

The unit actually fit on the other side of the body. The outside part. There is a hole that the speedo cable went through. The adapter cable is the right length to put the VSS on the outside. It went between the trans and the VSS. It actuallly makes the wires easier to follow the speedo cable up to the firewall. ( I'll get some pics soon.)

Test drove for about 20-30 minutes and no VSS code or SES light. Makes me very happy not to see that light,especially at night. Much easier on the brain too, not trying to guess if it is something wrong or just the usual VSS code.

Exhaust doesn't seem to pop as much when slowing down either.

You can find everything you need to make your speedometer read correctly

HERE from tranny gears to ratio adapters like IH used. Even if you changed tire sizes.
They also carry a VSS but it's 8 pulse. So it will read double.

RatioAdapter.jpg

HPIM1685.JPG

IMG_0131.JPG

Last edited:

jeeps2creep

Farmall Cub
THANKS!!!!, for the info bill. I found the last one you shown in the post, the one you got from ebay, from the J-yard. I had to go to the dodge dealer to get a run down on it and still can not get any tech data on it though, are these two pulse also??? What I do know it they go directly on my dana 300 and my speedo cable goes right back on the CSS behind it. BUT.......if I knew it will give me a 2 pulse signal I will run it and do a data log on it to see what it will give or do for me. This should no be to great a problem to splice in the wires to it from the ecm.

Bill USN-1

Staff member
I have no idea how many pulses it has.
You could hook a volt meter on it and spin it.
See how many times the needle or display moves per revolution.

For $2 I figure it's worth it to try it.
I can always take it apart and change the number of magnets in it!!

jeeps2creep

Farmall Cub
Good point bill, I do remember reading on the sensors before like 92' that have a computer with a carb should be 2 pulse. That is what that sensor is. It comes from a 88-89' "B" and "D" 150,250,350 series vans and trucks. I also know that the after market maker is "GP Sorensen" but cant seem to find anything that will give a real good link to there parts tech data.

Bill USN-1

Staff member
AFAIK it is 2 pulse or also listed as 2000 pulse per mile.

Here is the Audiovox magnet pickup intalled and operational!!
Seems pretty close but will have to get it off the stands and on the road!!

As per the directions you use 1 magnet for RWD and 2 magnets for FWD!!

1534Audiovox_24091.JPG

1534Audiovox_24101.JPG

1534Audiovox_24151.JPG

Here is the JTR VSS.

1534Audiovox_24111.JPG

Bill USN-1

Staff member
JTR...they were out of the ones with the short cable on them so I got the right angle adapter instead.

jeeps2creep

Farmall Cub
Hey Bill , found a glitch in my plan. I just went back and looked at schematic for the 1227747 ecm and seen that a speed sensor buffer should be inline with the sensor......do or will I need this??? It shows the two wires coming from the speed sensor run into the "buffer" and then a single wire coming from the buffer and going into the A10 on the ecm. Now if so what do the buffers look like and what vehicles do I look to get them from. Thanks in advance for any info.

Bill USN-1

Staff member
AFAIK the buffer is also known as the DRAC. It is used to convert the factory VSS signal into seperate outputs for the Speed O, Auto volume for the radio and the Cruise control.

There are several different ones for different vehicle.

I had some papers written on them when I first started.
They are at the DIY-EFI site.

You can go there and search.
I will try to post them up here when I get a chance.

You can use a factory VSS and one of these buffers for your input to the ECM if the VSS fits your tranny or TC.

I have also read of a unit that is on the back of some speed-O's that you can use. But this is all from just reading. I have never tried to use the factory stuff since there are so many options avail.

Or you just don't run one and take the VSS error out of the chip!!
That's what I used to do till I got Cruise!!

jeeps2creep

Farmall Cub
DAMN, just think how many of those I tossed when looking at ecms!!!!!!

Now thats some good info. Thanks for posting it or going back to find it :D. I really appreciate it. I went and picked up a couple of those sensors from ebay too.....just to make sure...LOL.

Bill USN-1

Staff member
I never got far enough along to find a system that actually had a VSS that would bolt right in to D300/D20 with the 7/8 thread.

I have another good one I got off the web but it's in HTML so I will have to figure out how to post it!!

jeeps2creep

Farmall Cub
Shoooooooot!!! Bill if you dont mind just email a copy of it to me, if you dont mind? I printed off the "doc" from last post and added it to my injection folders.

The dodge one your getting from ebay will go right inline with 300 at transfer case. Just need to pipe the wiring from VSS to the DRAC and then to the ECM.....shouldnt be to hard. Just have to get to u-pull it yard and find a few of the DRAC modules thats all.

Almost got 304 put back together and I'm getting ready to add on the auto tranny too so I wanted to add a speed sensor, they say it helps in decel. We'll have to see if it does. Right now with the manual it doesnt seem to bother it but I do have a bad,bad,bad stumble from 1k to 13-1450 RPM on take off or shifting gears.

Also Bill , while on the VSS and auto talk, does the eprom from an auto tranny ecm and stick shift interchange? Can you make the auto eprom work with a manual tranny?(just leave the wiring off from ecm) Or would this cause my GREAT stumble?, This is why I'm after the VSS stuff....from what I read I just might need to find a manual tranny eprom and then go from there. As always any info would be appreciated.

Bill USN-1

Staff member
Traced it back to the original link.

DRAC Recalibration

From what I remember the Buffer may have been used on 91 and earlier yrs and the Drac on 92 and later.
There is still more research to be done.

The VSS provides the speed input for the decel fuel cut off. (DFCO)

Your stumble is probably a combination of your fuel table and your AE- accelleration enrichment (accel pump)

Can you swap an auto/man prom and make it work...sure.
But it's easier to just start with what you have.

There are plenty of stock bin files out there to start with.

And for the most part...you can just copy and paste or import your fuel tables from one bin to the next.

Last edited:

Bill USN-1

Staff member
Just went out and drove the scout with the audiovox VSS and 1 magnet.

It worked great.
Speed was right on (as much as gears and tire size will allow) and no SES light!!

So you can pick them up cheap and use them or...
If you plan to install cruise control, just buy one and mount the VSS for your FI too!!!

Kill 2 birds with 1 stone!!! ;)

Bill USN-1

Staff member
OK, I just flew in...and boy are my arms tired................

I had a package waiting for me and it ended up being the cheap VSS's I ordered off EBAY.

Here are a couple close up pics of what I got.

1534Cheap_VSS_2468.JPG

1534Cheap_VSS_2469.JPG

1534Cheap_VSS_2470.JPG

As you can tell it is not the standard Scout or jeep, sq drive needed...
So what to do?

Well sometimes the best answer is the easy one!!!!

Just pull the male drive end off the VSS and look whats under it!!
They already planned for this to work with our system!!!

1534Cheap_VSS_2473.JPG

Then you can just stick it on the end of your cable and it drops right into the female side of the VSS!!!

1534Cheap_VSS_2474.JPG

1534Cheap_VSS_2475.JPG

And then install it and hook 1 wire to ground and the other to the VSS input to the ECM.

1534Cheap_VSS_2476.JPG

Now when I fired it up on blocks I discovered it is twice the normal speed.
So at 20 it reads 40mph.
To use this as a VSS to keep the error out of the ECM and to allow the DFCO to function, (it will just kick in late due to the speed) ...this will work. If you want true speed displayed on your laptop this won't.

1534Cheap_VSS_2477.JPG

That's one more option....

I have another in the mail coming to me...it's supposed to be correct and a bolt on unit for about $50.
Once I get it and verify it..I will post up the specifics.

D-Type

Farmall Cub
Is there no way in the software (either actually in the software, or via reprogramming) to put a correction factor in for the speed sensor?

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group
2022 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous