BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Slinger" missing on SII D-44 front axles

Binder TV

surfcraft

High Wheeler
It's been down the rabbit hole with what started as a brake job on my Scout II...

I'm now doing the service on the front spindles, and I pulled the front axles so I could get to the upper ball-joint, put a temporary zerk fitting and lube it up, and also get easier access to the zerk in the u-joints.

According to the axle diagram in the manual there's supposed to be a "slinger"
on the inboard side of the inner u-joint. The axle-halves that came out didn't have one on either the driver or passenger side.

I noticed that the axle is fatter at the diff ends than at the spindle ends, so any slinger that would slide down the axle from the diff side would be too loose to press on where they're supposed to go.

Can I assume that some axles used slingers and some don't?

This diagram is from my '76-'77 manual and it's supposed to be of an FA-13, not an FA-44, but it's the only diagram of the assembly I can find in the IH manual, the Chilton IH manual, and the Chilton multi-manufacturer truck manual.

Maybe it wasn't used in the Dana 44

Lotta crud gets into that axle tube though, and I don't do to much mud-whomping.

Thanks,

JW

Attachments

• front-axle-map.gif
    front-axle-map.gif
    66.4 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:

ihslave

Farmall Cub
When I was still in my 'cant have just one' phase of scout ownership, I in fact had two D44 front's that appeared to be the same, both I got off of '78 ScoutIIs. One made it on to my '73 that I was driving and wheeling at the time....

Fast foward about five years. Driver's side u-joint in the D44 dries up and dies (make a note about remembering to grease ALL joints regularly) and I notice it the night before a trip to involve some mandatory 4x4 action. No prob, says I, I'll just do a quickie R&R, swapping it out of my spare, identical axle.

And I found the same thing. There is a slinger on the existing axle shaft, and none on my emergency donor. I seem to recall that I pulled it off, and it slid onto the donor... and that it looked like it wouldn't fit until I actually tried it. None of my local 4x4 gurus had any idea about it... so of course, it was blamed on IH.

Its a mystery, Scoobey.

That's all I have to add... just a little co-miseration. Hope I have been able to absorb some of your pain.

scott

Jeff Ismail

High Wheeler
The slinger you need is Dana part #36364. They cost $3.75 each and we have plenty of them in stock. They are not listed in the online store but if you call we can set you up.

Jeff Ismail

High Wheeler
Do you have drum brakes or disc? If drum there will be a grease seal pressed in the back of the spindle and there will be no slinger. But on a disc brake axle there are two seals - one that goes around the mudslinger and one that goes next to the spindle bearing.

surfcraft

High Wheeler
It does have disc brakes

I do have the slingers that hold the soft rubber seals where the stub-end of the axle rides against the spindle and the soft rubber seals that fit into the spindle after the bearing (the SK-1 kit)

What's missing are the slingers that fit against the yoke that seem to be designed to keep (big) crud out of the axle tubes.

My axles have a cast-in flare that seem to be designed to do the same thing.

Anyway, what got me going on this was how dirty the axle tubes were. I remember noticing this years ago when I did the ball-joints on this axle, but somehow I never flashed on how vulnerable this axle is to getting dirt and water into the tubes and from there to the differential (I'm changing the front axle fluid today so I'll see how much really gets in there)

Even with an axle equipped with the pressed on slingers dirt and water can get in pretty easily as there really is no seal at the outer tube ends and, if I recall, the inner ends either.

The Scout II owners manual talks about changing fluids after deep-water fords, and I can see why.

How often do you guys who wheel in mud regularly change your fluids?