BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Simple" lift question

Tonka Toy

Binder Driver
I've been reading alot of the threads about lifts and I have some questions in regard to my own situation. My S2 came with a 4" Rough Country (should be called rough riding!) spring lift installed by a local shop. It has brand spankie new 33x12.50 mud tires, so I need to work within that parameter.

I drive my truck every day and am getting tired of being beaten to death and am considering the Superlift springs. But I haven't heard any clear cut unanimous agreements that one spring brand is better than another at not sagging after a while. I'm not so sure that I want to go to the trouble and expense, only to have to replace them after a few years.

I also hear that a 2" spring with an SOA is great for ride and flex with up to a 35" tire. But I'm not a welder and so the SOA looks like a bigger expense that I can handle right now. And then there's the whole high steer thing, which I like the sounds of, but am unclear on how it can still contact things when at maximum flex? Not to mention the expense and seemingly lengthy down time. (remember, it's my driver. Unless you want to see me in my Baja Bug at the events :eek: )

But I know from wheeling it a time or two that she needs a couple more inches of room for the tires to stay out of the body. What I'm after is a rig that rides nice on the road, flexes impressively, and isn't too tall to get into my 7" high garage door whe we're all done. (I know, aren't we all?) Plus, by acheving this the wife is more apt to sell her Ram and drive the Scout (she refuses to drive a car, trucks only. Isn't that cool! :D ) . And that payment money can go into the vehicle restoration fund, which in the end benefits the Scout. See how this works? :D :cool:

I'm thinking of new "softer" riding 4" springs and a 2" body lift might do it. What do you think? Thanks again everyone for your thoughts!

Carl Wiese

Staff member
Originally posted by Tonka Toy

I drive my truck every day and am getting tired of being beaten to death and am considering the Superlift springs. But I haven't heard any clear cut unanimous agreements that one spring brand is better than another at not sagging after a while.....

Jeff,

You will never get total agreement on springs. As for lift IHSTO's favorite off roadshop does an SOA rear with a SUA front. This is a great combination. Good flex for the rear, without having to do the high steer in the front. They use Skyjacker softrides for this and other apps. and seem to like them well. After all Rick Shelburg just got back from his 3-4 (?) Rubicon trip with this set up and 33's. It works well and works well for you. Next meeting see if you can track down Lucas from Granite and talk to him.

See you there

Carl

P.S. I saw Marci in your pickup last Tuesday on I-5, She so me first, so tell her hi for me!

sully0812

High Wheeler
I have the Skyjacker 4" lift in mine. These springs give a great ride (far better than my old worn out and cracked stock spring were) and are not too harsh. (at least in my opinion)

The big drawback to the skyjacker lift, is that the rear springs seem to sag on every scout (my own included) without further mods. I added a set of slightly longer shackles to the rear to compensate for this, and it rides level, flexes well, and is comfortable.

I'm planning on swapping to an SOA in the rear though, but leaving the front SUA. My reason for leaving the front SUA is that like you, this truck is my daily driver, and I've had experience doing SOA's all the way around before on previous vehicles.

SigEp029

Farmall Cub
im going with a set of triangle 4in springs with rancho 9000x shocks. ive posted on here about springs before and i think the majority of ppl have liked the triangles. you should look into them and find out if they are what you want/need. let me know how its goes. also, we (Bill Williams and I) are installing the springs and shocks on Feb 8th so ill take some pics and do a write up on them and let ya know how it goes.

Mike Reiner
SigEp029@aol.com

sully0812

High Wheeler
The Triangles are good riding, but stiff, and don't have a terrible amount of flex compared to the Skyjackers.

Basically, it all boils down to personal preference, and your intended use of the vehicle.

stinger75ih

Binder Driver
Triangles flex just fine...

They flex as well as others; but they do ride a bit stiffer. Don't tend to sag in the rear either.

This is a 4" Triangle lift on a 23 degree ramp

Attachments

• scoutramp01.jpg
    scoutramp01.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 231

Tom McMillion

Farmall Cub
A buddy of mine who's installed and driven both Triangles and Skyjackers for his customers said the Triangles ride great with the Doetsch Tech shocks that Super Scouts recommend with that lift. I can't personally attest to that. Just passing this along FWIW.

What kind of shocks are on yours? Maybe a 'softer' shock would make a difference without having to buy new springs. Just a thought.

Tonka Toy

Binder Driver
Re: Re: "Simple" lift question

Originally posted by Carl Wiese

Jeff,

You will never get total agreement on springs. As for lift IHSTO's favorite off roadshop does an SOA rear with a SUA front. This is a great combination. Good flex for the rear, without having to do the high steer in the front. They use Skyjacker softrides for this and other apps. and seem to like them well. After all Rick Shelburg just got back from his 3-4 (?) Rubicon trip with this set up and 33's. It works well and works well for you. Next meeting see if you can track down Lucas from Granite and talk to him.

See you there

Carl

P.S. I saw Marci in your pickup last Tuesday on I-5, She so me first, so tell her hi for me!

Yeah, Marci (AKA Speed Racer) said she spotted your Scout in traffic over a 1/4 mile before she saw it was you. She was slowing to give a thumbs up and then SURPRISE! :D Anyway, do me a favor and point out Lucas for me next week, ok? I need to pick his brain about rollcages and a front winch bumper too. Thanks man and we'll see ya next week! (If we don't pass you again soewhere :D )

PS; That propane and diesel smoke gettin to you and John or what? This diesel cult thing is getting a bit weird, isn't it? :confused: What's next? BBQ sauce instead of water injection? ;) Next thing you know your exhaust is going to smell like KFC! :D

Philabuster

High Wheeler
Re: Re: Re: "Simple" lift question

PS; That propane and diesel smoke gettin to you and John or what? This diesel cult thing is getting a bit weird, isn't it? :confused: What's next? BBQ sauce instead of water injection? ;) Next thing you know your exhaust is going to smell like KFC! :D
Diesel and propane kinda makes you goofy. Ask any Cult of the Diesel member. :p You gasser guys have nothing to worry about though. ;)

KFC you say? Actually, I am leaning more toward a Krispy Kreme exhaust aroma. :D

dirtclod20

Farmall Cub
Can you buy just front leave springs from any of the manufacturers? I've been debating on different lifts for over 6months as some of you guys will attest to. Also, FWIW I just got off the phone with ALCAN and they said they will custom make some front 6" SUA for 300bucks. DO a SOA rear and you are set. Do you guys with a SOA rear already think that it will hold a load as good as it would when it was SUA? Have i heard where you can take a spring out of each pack and make it a 4" lift, what about taking a couple out and putting a override in to stiffen it up a tit!
Marc

Chrispucci

High Wheeler
Originally posted by dirtclod20
Do you guys with a SOA rear already think that it will hold a load as good as it would when it was SUA? Have i heard where you can take a spring out of each pack and make it a 4" lift, what about taking a couple out and putting a override in to stiffen it up a tit!
Marc

I have had stock springs SUA, 4" Skyjackers SUA, and now stock spring SOA. And would have to say the best ride came from the skyjackers. But they sagged fast and didn't hold a load at all. The stock springs in SOA or SUA 'should' have the same load rating and flex specs. I had mine 4" skyjacker SUA in the front and SOA on the rear for over a year and really liked it. If I had to do it over again I would go straight to a SOA rear with the skyjacker front 4" springs.

Chrispucci

High Wheeler
I've been reading alot of the threads about lifts and I have some questions in regard to my own situation. My S2 came with a 4" Rough Country (should be called rough riding!) spring lift installed by a local shop. It has brand spankie new 33x12.50 mud tires, so I need to work within that parameter.

But I know from wheeling it a time or two that she needs a couple more inches of room for the tires to stay out of the body.

I'm thinking of new "softer" riding 4" springs and a 2" body lift might do it. What do you think? Thanks again everyone for your thoughts!

1) You won't clear 33"s with a 4" sua lift if you wheel it much at all.

2) You probably won't clear 33"s with a SOA on stock springs.

3) You need a combination of 2 or more lift/clearance techniques to 'really' clear 33's

4) Rough Country's are crap! :D Sell them to someone that's not on the BB and get some better springs.

5) Talk to the dudes that John recommended through the club, they look like they have thier poop in a group when it comes to Scout lifts.

6) No lift question or debate is ever "simple" :D

David Lang

High Wheeler
I have a set of skyjackers on one of my trucks, and with 2" extended shackles and add-a-leafs the truck still sits 3 1/2" lower in the back then in thr front. I am seriously looking at going back to stock shackles, removing the add-a-leafs and doing a SOA with the same springs