BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I regear my D27 axles?

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

Seneca_Ken

Farmall Cub
‘64 S80, all stock currently. Going to drop in a 196 and add Warn overdrive to my stock D18 TCase, and stay with the 3spd T90. This is a new restoration project, so I’ll be going through everything to clean/refresh and reseal.

With the extra HP of the 196, should/could I consider regearing the D27 axles to lower rpm’s a bit? I have read a lot about how these things wind out and sound like they are running really hard. Thinking this may somewhat reduce that if I am willing to give up a little torque without notable consequence.

No plans for major wheeling. Mostly just driving around town an maybe some light off-road for fun.

oneof3k

High Wheeler
Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
Adding an overdrive will drop your RPMs by several hundred in all gears (when engaged) and make driving it much nicer. While swapping in the 196 will be noticeable, adding the overdrive will be even more noticeable. But all that depends on what your gears are now. I wouldn't worry about gearing until you are done with the mods and then decide on any changes.

BYW, I have been running a 196 in one of my Scout 80s with a Warn overdrive for over 25 years. With 4.88s. It pretty much goes no where very fast and still screams at 60 mph. But I live at 8,000 ft.

Mark Pietz

High Wheeler
What gears are you currently running? My guess is 4.27s. I had the same combo you are contemplating (went from 152 to 196, had the Warn OD and T90). If you have 4.27s and 31" tires, I'd highly recommend keeping the same gearing. The OD will help you up grades by splitting 2nd/3rd. On flats, the 196 in OD allowed me to cruise 65 to 70 mph.

Joe Hurley

Farmall Cub
That should be quite enjoyable to drive with the warn od and 4.27s. I drove mine with the stock 4.27s and no OD. Dispite the popular myth it's possible to drive the highway with 4.27s and no OD. A little rpm never hurt anyone.

Ron A

High Wheeler
That should be quite enjoyable to drive with the warn od and 4.27s. I drove mine with the stock 4.27s and no OD. Dispite the popular myth it's possible to drive the highway with 4.27s and no OD. A little rpm never hurt anyone.
FWIW my 77 has 4.27s 31s and a V8. Cruises right along at 3000 rpms or a little more. I love those gears in the Mountains, on the highway I just keep it at the speed limit.