BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Shooting brake" Does a Scout qualify?

gpa

Binder Driver
I ran across the term Shooting brake the other day and had to look it up.

Does the Scout qualify?

Must be a British thing with their boots, bonnets & wings??

WesV

Y-Block King
I had to look up the term on Wikipedia, and it looks to me like it only applies to upper end 3 door wagons with their origins based on sports cars or touring cars. They didn't list any 4wd vehicles like a Land Rover or such so I am guessing no.

Doc Stewart

Content Team
Staff member
When the upper crust goes shooting in jolly old England, the local pesants beat the bushes so the game runs towards the shooters who are comfortably escounced just waiting. When the birds fly by, they shoot 'em. Then the locals find and clean and deliver the prepared game.

So, a 'shooting brake' needn't be rugged or 4x4...

The term stems from the 19th century (or earlier) and refers to a wagon that carried all of the gear and refreshments and servants while the lords rode out on horseback.

My old Scout 80 lives on a ranch that has been a hunting preserve for 100+ years. It carries the hunters, guns, refreshments, and tools of the gutting and skinning. I guess that it would qualify as an American 'hunting brake'. Sometime I wish we had pesants!

John Donnelly

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
A Monteverdi Scout would fit the description.

Having had relatives now long deceased that owned "shooting brakes", I think based on what is written down and what I remember as a child the Monteverdi Scout would be perfect if one needed a snooty IH to toodle about with the upper crust.

-John

Will Marsh

Staff member
My old Scout 80 lives on a ranch that has been a hunting preserve for 100+ years. It carries the hunters, guns, refreshments, and tools of the gutting and skinning. I guess that it would qualify as an American 'hunting brake'. Sometime I wish we had pesants!

Isn't that what the kids and grandkids are for?

I guess I spent too many years being the peasant pushing pheasants and deer across the high plains of Nebraska and Kansas. :)

Will Marsh