BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"SCOUTY" the 1964 80 Build in NW Phx

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

bk2life

Farmall Cub
I'm James, I joined the Binder Planet in OCT 2006. I didn’t even own a scout back then, was just looking for another off road group to go wheelin with, and came across Arizona Virtual Jeep Club. I had recently came back ‘home’ from being stationed in Oahu and had a great time out there wheelin with some lifelong friends.

On 12 OCT 2006, I made two posts back then. I haven’t made another post until last month, 15 years later.

This is how my story starts.

bk2life

Farmall Cub
I can’t go forward without going backwards to explain how I got to where I am at currently.

Let me introduce you to my YJ, I purchased and modified while in Hawaii. Im a pretty simple guy, im not big on names. My scout is named SCOUTY, and yup, you guessed it, my jeep was JEEPY. kinda lame, I know, but it’s catchy, and my daughter liked it.

I bought my YJ from a Soldier who was leaving for Iraq. I got it cheap, and it was 100% bone stock. Being in Hawaii, a jeep was perfect. Off cam the doors, ugly vinyl roof, and nasty carpets.

Went over to the local base paint shop, and I painted the jeep body with 12 cans of yellow rattle can spray paint. It worked, looked good, and was fun to do.

I welded up the front diff, and for a simple 4 cylinder jeep, it was pretty capable for nearly anything Oahu could throw at it.

I shipped it home, and did more work on it. Full cage, bed linered, custom paint, and still beat the crap out of the jeep. It looked nice enough to take to the local car shows even.

One day, I walked outside and it wasn’t there.

Just like that. All my hard work, labor, and time, just gone.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 32
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 30

bk2life

Farmall Cub
I keep pictures of everything I do. All my custom work, receipts, parts everything is on digital media or loaded on my server accessible anywhere there is internet. \

State Farm like that and rewarded me pretty handsomely for my cheap $500 YJ.

And that is what I kept in the bank for a Scout.

Ot at least until my then wife and I moved into our new home, and that nice insurance check went into carpets, toilets, refrigerator, washer and dryer…ugh kinda makes me sick now thinking of it. But it is what it is, and can’t cry over spilt milk.

bk2life

Farmall Cub
Since then, I have deployed 5 times to either Iraq or Afghanistan. I’ve had many other things come and go, recently my mazing wife of nearly 20 years, as well as lost my brother and my mother to cancer and dementia.

One day (2014 possibly) I was in Afghanistan looking through craigslist as I still do today attempting to find a dana 60 chevy front (shameless plug) and I came across a great looking candidate for a build. A near complete stock 1964 Scout 80.

The price looked right, and it was only a few miles from my home. Even though I was on the other side of the world, it would be a cheap tow bill.
I called the owner, and told him I was calling from Afghanistan and I wanted to put down a deposit until I can get a tow truck to his place. The owner told me if I was really in Afghanistan, he’d give me a discount and he will hold the vehicle until I came and got it.

Fast forward 4 months or so, and I was standing in front of the man and ready to take the scout home.
I gave him the money, he gave me the keys, and after I got the scout loaded up on the trailer he gave me exactly half my money back.
He said, he was shocked I called from Afghanistan, and more shocked I showed up to buy the scout.

I still get a bit teary eyed thinking of that day. It was really awesome.

here it is the day I picked it up.

Attachments

• jeepy2-jpg.jpg
    jeepy2-jpg.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 37

bk2life

Farmall Cub
I don’t have too many more pictures, and being over here in Iraq, I tend to think of things I need to do or buy. But, my goal is to finally drive the scout when I get home.

I have stretched the wheel base in both front and rear, removed the old drivetrain, and added 3/4 ton axles (I think 10 bolt front and 14 semi floater rear)) , F150 springs rear and 52 inch chevies up front, I had a sbc in it for a while, but a friend was in a hard spot and needed a good engine, so I basically gave the sbc to her.

Then in its place I installed a 454, with a sm465 trans and a np205 transfer case.
Once I am home, I’ll pull the body off the chassis, finish up some welding on the chassis, shock hoops, exhaust hangers, etc.

I built a dual 3” exhaust, will drop it off for high temp powder coating, and probably the frame as well. I was going to paint it, but it’s so much easier to drop it off ugly and pick it up shiny.

Before I left for this tour I moved the steering box, added hydro-boost brakes, installed a S10 blazer fuel tank, added a tilt ‘gm’ column from speedway (their brand new units are cheap and hard to beat for brand new ) I bled the clutch, and started bending the new brake lines.

There isn’t much more I need to have the scout driving comfortably, but I will pull the body off when I’m home and get the shock hoops welded up, along with any other fabrication needed before taking the chassis over to the powder coaters.

I’ll be posting more pics in the near future, as my time here is winding down.

I hope to finally meet up with you guys over at monkey pants..

Attachments

• scout.jpg
    scout.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 47
  • cout.jpg
    cout.jpg
    276.9 KB · Views: 48

OldScoutAz

Farmall Cub
Thank you for your service. Great story and great scout. subscribed. I live in Cave Creek. I just took mine around the neighborhood for the first time last weekend. It has some interesting steering that needs to be figured out. Maybe some day after everything is shaken down I will make it down to Monkey pants as well.

bk2life

Farmall Cub
Thank you for your service. Great story and great scout. subscribed. I live in Cave Creek. I just took mine around the neighborhood for the first time last weekend. It has some interesting steering that needs to be figured out. Maybe some day after everything is shaken down I will make it down to Monkey pants as well.
I appreciate it. Cave Creek isn't too far from my home. I've been saying for 15 years ill make it to monkey pants....well time is tickin, and we aren't getting any younger.
I can't wait to finally drive my scout around the block.

bk2life

Farmall Cub
Well, I've been home for about 48 hours, and due to jet lag and just can't sit still, I
20210611_151522.jpg
pulled out my windshield frame, broke it down, and will be taking it and some other parts to the local sand blaster to get stripped.
I'm hoping to get a few friends over here to get my scout on the lift to start removing the body mount bolts. Want to get the body off, so I can finish welding the chassis modifications, add the shock mounts, and then send the chassis out for powder coating.

Got to check the calendar, I want to make it out to the next Monkey Pants meeting to say hi.

Lars-S

Binder Driver
FANTASTIC .. glad you are back home safely... thanks of course for your service and thanks for the update.. here's to lots of fun aka work lol on your vehicle.

bk2life

Farmall Cub
body 1.jpg

Got some buddies over this morning to help clean up some things, and get the scout up on the lift. Took about 25 minutes to blast out the old body mount bolts, and lift the body off.

It appears this was the first time the body has ever been off, and surprisingly it is in pretty good condition top to bottom. No body mount bolts were rusted, they all came loose pretty easily.

The actual rubber mount was destroyed, but they are old, so that’s to be expected.

Ive got some things to look at, plan out my fabrication, and then send the frame out for powder coating.

While that is going on, I am going to make a rolling rack to get the body onto so I can get the rest of the body stripped and finish whatever body work I am going to do to it.

This wont ever be a show car, but it will be pretty nice, to where I can enjoy it on or off road.

I still want to find a 14 bolt FF for the rear, and a D60 for the front, but for now, I’m going to work with what I have.

The only current issue I see is, my buddy and I mounted the old GM steering box on the outside of the frame rail like they did in the trucks. I’m pretty sure that will be in the way with shocks/tire travel.

Oh well, few hours and a new box, and that issue will be corrected…if it needs to be.

Attachments

• body 2.jpg
    body 2.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 33

bk2life

Farmall Cub
...this morning i looked at facebook adds, and found a guy about 30 miles from me getting rid of 2006 super duty axles. D60 front, sterling rear. I wont even mention the price, but they were practically free!!

bk2life

Farmall Cub
..it's been super hot here the last week so not much progress. Today or tomorrow I'll pick up some steel to make a 'cart' to sit the scout body on and get it off the lift.
I have to do some measuring, but the new front ale might limit me on leaf's, i might have to do a 3 link up front. I don't mind doing that, just really want to keep the leaf's, as it will mostly be on road. I'd love to say it'll spend it's life off road, but realistically, we know that's not always true..

OldScoutAz

Farmall Cub
..it's been super hot here the last week so not much progress. Today or tomorrow I'll pick up some steel to make a 'cart' to sit the scout body on and get it off the lift.
I have to do some measuring, but the new front ale might limit me on leaf's, i might have to do a 3 link up front. I don't mind doing that, just really want to keep the leaf's, as it will mostly be on road. I'd love to say it'll spend it's life off road, but realistically, we know that's not always true..
I agree. Mine will see light duty offroad but mostly street use for toying around in the winter when its nice out.

bk2life

Farmall Cub
ok, got the motor/trans/xfer case pulled last night. Need to remove the leafs and then load up the frame to ship to the sand blasters.
After doing research, i see my NP208 isn't a direct swap to the 205 I was looking for.
I'd need a np205 (duh) the adaptor, the coupler, and then rebuilding and cleaning of the whole set up.
I figure, for what it's worth, I'll just buy an Atlas xfer case for my build. It'll be quite a bit shorter than the 205 set up, and it's a better xfer case all around.
Plus, i can get those cool Atlas twin stick cable shifters. Wooohhooo.. money well spent. (maybe?) lol
Added another $3.5k to the build...ugh

Last edited: