Scout II rust repair questions

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Tremor, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Tremor

Tremor Farmall Cub

Hey everyone, Well I have decided to take the plunge and do some bodywork on my scout by myself. I had some questions regarding the general repair and was looking to get some input. The main areas I would like to address with patches are the inner and out rockers, 2 about 3 inches by 1-inch holes on the left and right of the bottom of the windshield frame, what looks to be directly under the grill and a large chunk of the fender about 8 inches from the bottom on both sides and finally the kick panel and dog leg on the drivers' side. As I'm pretty new to this but can weld decently enough to look good when ground down im just wondering if this is doable with the right tools. My main concerns are if you guys recommend tig or mig on pannels and if i missed any spots or common rust spots that I should check when I'm doing this or if anyone has any tips tricks or notes. The photos will be attached below.

Thanks everyone,
    Sam
    IMG_6504.jpg IMG_6506.jpg IMG_6507.jpg IMG_6508.jpg IMG_6499.jpg IMG_6496.jpg IMG_6500.jpg IMG_6509.jpg IMG_6510.jpg

BigEinTX likes this.
  2. Darrel

Darrel Lives in an IH Dealership

MIG or TIG doesn't matter if you take your time to control the heat and hence warpage.

If this Scout isn't sentimental sell it and find one with less rust?

3. winchested

winchested Dreams of Cub Cadets

That's a Lot of heavy rust. Windshield frame looks roasted. That's the hardest part to fix because new ones are not made.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

4. Tremor

Tremor Farmall Cub

It was definitely considered, I would but everything else is nearly flawless mechanically and its low miles as well as a project so id like to salvage

Darrel likes this.
  5. Tremor

Tremor Farmall Cub

That's what I figured, few being sold for 1,000-1,200 which seems crazy to my but I suppose because of lack of quantity, the bottom portions of the frame can be done with a simple flat patch but the sides a bit more tricky.

6. mporter52

mporter52 Binder Driver

You should go spend a few days going through the Binder Builds. They will give you a better idea on how much work you have ahead.

Jrc55 and Tremor like this.
  7. 77GlacierBlue

77GlacierBlue Farmall Cub

Looks like fun. My skills sound similar to yours. My rig wasn't so rough but I did a lot of the metal repair you're talking about. In my opinion if you've got the time you'll be successful. For me it was: figure out how to take it apart correctly, buy the correct metal from a light line distributor, take a lot of time to fit it together. The parts that can't be bought will take you the most time.

BigEinTX and Tremor like this.
  8. Darrel

Swap the new body onto this frame.
    You asked about common rust areas. I could be wrong but with that heavy of rust I would think you'll be finding holes everywhere. How are the front inner fenders, bottom of the doors, quarter panels, lower A and b pillars, floors, tail gate. It's not hard to hit $3000 in sheet metal with shipping.

77GlacierBlue likes this.
  9. Tremor

Tremor Farmall Cub

The front inners, doors, quarters floors, and tailgate are all surprisingly good, the tailgate has some minor surface rust other than that it's fine. Is there an easy way to find existing full body for sale or just have to buy a full donor?

10. RinTX

RinTX High Wheeler

My .02 - that windshield frame damage is a sign of leaks in/into the frame. Leaks around the windshield and from above.
    You will need to either replace the whole frame or take it apart. Take the windshield out. Get all the rust out. Rebuild the parts of the frame you had to cut out.

Tremor likes this.
  11. Tremor

Tremor Farmall Cub

You are definitely right on that one and they must be pretty rare to find if I didn't want to do patching on the frame, seems like rough ones but with minimal holes are going for 1000-15000, yikes!

12. Darrel

It's hard to find a tub. I can see why you're looking at repair since it doesn't have all that other rust. Go for it.

13. Jrc55

Jrc55 Binder Driver

That will be pretty labor intensive build. But what you have to consider is what it will be worth when you are finished. If you spend $5000 on sheet metal, you're still ahead of the game as scout prices rise. No matter what your skills are, I always suggest buying everything you can and making the least amount possible.

I documented blowing apart my entire windshield frame and repairing it with the English wheel, brake and shrinker/stretchers. I always recommend TIG for sheet metal repairs because it's a slow and controlled heat and your welds stay malleable.