Scout II Inner rock/front pillar question

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by Tremor, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Tremor

Tremor Farmall Cub

Hello again everyone, just had a quick question regarding the front pillar and inner quarter disassembly and reassembly. As I am in the progress of my body restoration I have gotten to the front driver's side portion which is the worst and im really having issues seeing what I need and what I have that fits so far. It appears a good portion of the pillar has rotted away near the mount and wedge area which I have replacements for both. I am just wondering what areas need to be cut or disconnected and where those cuts should be?

Thanks,
    Sam

IMG_6791.jpg
    IMG_6793.jpg

2. TravelerMan79

TravelerMan79 Farmall Cub

My project has stalled a bit, but I'm in the same dilemma. I scoured the site and interweeb looking for pics. I think I even posted a thread asking for info. IMHO, this area is one of the most complex as there are so many pieces that come together in this area. As you mentioned, you have the A pillar, A pillar support brkt, outer rocker, inner rocker, kickplate, floor pan(s)/ wedge support, curved gusset. From the pics I saw, and some posts, the aftermarket floor pans come up short to the kickpanel, and an "extra" piece must be added. I'll try to post some of the pics I found later today.

Tremor likes this.
  3. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

I thought SSS sold a full piece front floor cab mount as I also had to cut mine to fit the smaller piece that I bought from another vendor, only found the SSS part afterward. I would only buy my sheetmetal from a vendor and not the aftermarket as the metal is thinner and not as well made.

Tremor likes this.
  4. Tremor

Tremor Farmall Cub

All my parts were sourced from a LL distributor which are the same SSS sells. I did end up going with the cab mount your suggesting, mainly just trying to piece together in which order they should be removed then replaced. To me, it seems the order logically for install would be kick pannel, wedge, mount, the floor then gusset but I'm unsure, also not sure what my options are on that pillar as if I cut that rusted section I don' think my fab work would turn out the best at the same time removing the entire pillar would be as just as much work even though I haven't seen replacements around anywhere.

5. Sammy

Sammy Y-Block King

Can't say as I didn't have to go that far into mine. Kick panel, dog legs and main floor were good, but the wedge and cab mount were garbage and I just cut everything that the new mount would afford. The body was still on the frame and the door braces had already been welded in so everything was still square, or square enough since everything bolted back in like it was supposed to.
    I don't know that the pillar is remanufactured, that may be something to be sourced from a donor truck. That seems that it would be a PITA to replace but the alternative isn't any better.

Tremor likes this.
  6. mrgeep

mrgeep Farmall Cub

I can’t vouch for what going underneath the floors but if It were me I would replace the rocker panel and the floor board. I would make sure I salvaged as much of the dog leg as I could and repair the dog leg with a piece of sheet metal from the store. Everything outside of that “ kick panel, upper floor by firewall, a pillar” seem very minimal and would be pretty easy to cut out the rust and just weld in new sheet metal from the store.

Tremor likes this.