BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scout II 345 Carburetor?? Suggestions? Recommendations? Warnings??

TorqueMonster1

Farmall Cub
Thanks for looking at my post. First let me say, YES, I searched and read many Many past post about this subject. I have actually read soooo many that I'm now officially confused and dangerous. I want a good ole carb to do what it was designed to do. I'm not interested in Fuel Injection for this Scout (unless it's donated). If I were I'd go with Bill's. I do NOT want to go the direction of a Cheby 350/LS swap for this Scout. I just want a carb for a stock 345 in a Scout that'll be driven around town and enjoyed in "normal" use. Nothing off road and certainly not hot rodded. SO, Holley 2300? Autocraft 2100? Quadrajet? Etc....????? I started to "revive" past threads but thought that'd be confusing and possibly piss off some members. Please help a fella out. Thank You!!!! Mark

Darrel

Lives in an IH Dealership
Even though quadrajets and thermoquads are superior you're better off sticking with a simple carb. Holley 0-80350 2 barrel.

TorqueMonster1

Farmall Cub
Darrel, what's the main differences between the Holley 2300 and the Holley 0-80350 ??? Do you have experience with either? Both? Mark

TorqueMonster1

Farmall Cub
I should have stated that it’s a 2 barrel. Sorry about that. It’s just a stock 345 V8 IH engine. As I understand it, a 4 barrel is a waste of time and $$ because a stock 345 doesn’t breath enough to benefit from a 4 barrel carb. Mark

Darrel

I do have experience with all the carbs mentioned above btw... Ran a 2300 on my Scout for many years.

72soa

High Wheeler
I use the motorcraft 2V carbs. linkage may take a little time to figure out (kick down) and choke can be interesting - get an electric choke. You will need a new air cleaner.

1975IH200

Y-Block King
"2300" is the Holley Model number for a series of 2-barrel carbs.
"0-80350" is the Holley List Number for a specific Holley 2-barrel carb with an electrically heated auto-choke.
List Number 0-80350 is a Holley Model 2300 carburetor.
There are many Holley List Number carbs that are also Holley Model 2300 carbs.
The List No. 0-80350 is a good carb for the IH SV-8 engine on a stock 2-barrel intake manifold.

Last edited:

TorqueMonster1

Farmall Cub
Patrick, Great question. Here's what's up. I've got Four 345's. 2 on engine stand without carbs, 1 in a Scout in a barn with a Holley 2300 (as I recall) and the other is my 1st Scout in my basement with an Autocraft (again, as I recall). I'm buying a new carb to go on one of the 2 on an engine stand for a build I'm hoping to start in the next few months. So, I’m not replacing a troubled carb, I'm needing a new one where I currently don't have one. Mark

Last edited:

Patrick Morris

Patrick, Great question. Here's what's up. I've got Four 345's. 2 on engine stand without carbs, 1 in a Scout in a barn with a Holley 2300 (as I recall) and the other is my 1st Scout in my basement with an Autocraft (again, as I recall). I'm buying a new carb to go on one of the 2 on an engine stand for a build I'm hoping to start in the next few months. So, I not replacing a troubled carb, I'm needing a new one where I currently don't have one. Mark
Thanks. That's a great clarification. It's funny, I almost asked kiddingly, "Is there no carb on the engine now??" For most people the answer would have been 'of course there is!' But not for you.

Interesting situation. For you I guess you need to decide how much money you want to spend on a carb. Your choices are obviously a new 2300 or a 2100. Can't go wrong with a new 08350 (2300), but they've gotten kind of expensive nowadays. I think you will get a better price on the Ford 2100. It's up to you. And as you've likely discovered, there's TONs of information on this board on setting up both carbs, and troubleshooting installation issues.

Perdido

Farmall Cub
Thanks. That's a great clarification. It's funny, I almost asked kiddingly, "Is there no carb on the engine now??" For most people the answer would have been 'of course there is!' But not for you.

Interesting situation. For you I guess you need to decide how much money you want to spend on a carb. Your choices are obviously a new 2300 or a 2100. Can't go wrong with a new 08350 (2300), but they've gotten kind of expensive nowadays. I think you will get a better price on the Ford 2100. It's up to you. And as you've likely discovered, there's TONs of information on this board on setting up both carbs, and troubleshooting installation issues.
Patrick,
Great info and thanks for the heads up on the Ford 2100. The Holley has gotten too expensive for what I’m doing and I was even considering FI because of that.
Thanks, Perdido

Erik VanRenselaar

Y-Block King
The 80350 is a 350cfm 2 barrel 2300 with electric choke.
Yes. The #80350 is a #7448 carb with the #45-223 electric choke kit pre-installed.
Mark: If you go with the 80350, I have lots of IH-specific set up info, as I've been running a 350 cfm unit for over 20 years.