BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scout 800 304 starter removal

Binder TV

800bman

High Wheeler
Any guys here have a scout with a 304 and an auto trans? I cannot get the dang starter out!

The starter bolts are out but there is no way to get it out of the engine compartment. I am thinking I have to jack the engine up or remove the exhaust down pipe but then there may not be enough room.
I love working on the 4 bangers and 6's. This thing is driving me nuts.:no:

Doc Stewart

Content Team
Staff member
Unless you have some wierd exhaust - headers? - wiggle the starter out a bit and turn it clockwise then down. It does come out! Mind your fingers - its heavy.

800bman

High Wheeler
Doc I have been trying for an hour. I find it hard to believe it will make it out. It's inches- plural- away from squeezing out.

800bman

High Wheeler
Factory exhaust. It is heavy! I also have the scout lifted and the passenger side wheel off to see better, still nada.:no:

800bman

High Wheeler
It was a long day and I wasn't thinking. Jacked up the frame and the starter came right out. Ooops.