BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Right Turn may work after dash drop

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

Shnyzx

Farmall Cub
So I pulled the dash today to trace down my fuel guage. After the PO there were plenty of wires hanging down that weren't connect, and I wanted to make sure those hadn't been messed with. While I was in there I zip-tied everything and got it nice and clean looking. Ended up fixing the speedometer and ashtray by mistake. I thought I was careful when putting it back together, but now the right turn signal doesn't always work.

I previously fixed it as the front housing wasn't grounding. It worked great till today. It didn't work in the driveway, but during the test drive it did, then didn't. It doesn't work with or without the lights. When it doesn't work the left turn signal gets much slower when the lights are on. Any clues on what I messed up this time? Scouts seem like 2 steps forward one step back. 1977 Scout II FYI.

Gunfighter97

High Wheeler
Scouts seem like 2 steps forward one step back.

IH in general is when it comes to functional parts, just focus on getting down to only one step to go, then the maintenance schedule takes over :D
Did you disconnect the signal switch? Double check connections if so, and it wouldn't hurt to learn how to test your switch. You may need to continuity test your harness as well as check the bulkhead connectors. Helps to have a wiring diagram if you don't already.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

Shnyzx

Farmall Cub
Didn't pull anything but the speedo, but that doesn't mean something didn't come unplugged. I chased down the few hanging wires I had and pulled them. They were cut but I traced them back to make sure it was cool to pull. I've been reading the book religiously so I'm getting good at chasing the electrical demons. I will check the signal connection on the column in the morning. AZ heat makes work hours difficult this time of year.

RinTX

High Wheeler
What Scoutboy said. Especially when you noted that the left turn signal is “Slow”.

Patrick Morris

Lives in an IH Dealership
Just by putting it back together and retightening the speedo cable, they started working correctly. Ashtray didn't slide right previously and the speedo was bouncy.
Ah. Thanks for the explanation. Well at least those work well now. A bouncy speedo needle is really annoying.

I don't have any new information to add. Just agreeing with others that bad grounds can cause strange behavior. As you noticed, they not only cause some lights not work at all, but also for other lights to behave a little strangely.

wjajr

Binder Driver
Grounds at all the light sockets need to be cleaned and refastened. You may have to make up two ground loops picking up front and rear exterior lighting and running them back to battery neg battery terminal. This will eliminate any voltage drop due to old corroded frame and sheet metal connections back to chassis ground strap. Don't forget to pick up the fuel tank sending unit with the loop which will improve gauge performance.

Shnyzx

Farmall Cub
So when I battled the right turns not working with the lights on, I cleaned and improved all grounds on both sides. I have checked them again this morning and they are all good. New development though, the left turn works, and then going to the right, it'll blink once. Might I have broken the turn signal mech with the housing sitting on it? I look in the side and can see what I think is the white cam, and it looks like it's got a split in it. How hard are these to fix?
Also (and I know they are on somewhat of a different circuit) but the hazards work fine. This to me says grounds are good within at least the last bit of wiring.