BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Resistor wire" to alternator

Binder TV

E. Murray

Farmall Cub
As long as I have the dash out for painting and the hood off, I've decided to tackle the wiring nightmare on my Scout. The under-hood area is a rat's nest of wires (to give you an idea, on one of the 12-wire plugs coming through the firewall, 10 of the wires have been cut and "alternate" wires used...) and the fuse block has as many foil wads as fuses in it. Also, there are 3 thin wires going from the battery to the starter (I guess he couldn't find 1 heavy enough...). The previous owner was obviously not an electrical genius :rolleyes: . Anyway, the one of the wires that goes to the plug on the alternator has 4 different sections where it's been cut and replaced (and is still bare in a couple places). I started to cut it out and solder in one big section, but when I got my manual out, it specifies that the wire is to be 24 ga. resistor wire with a resistance between 10 and 50 ohms over the length. Anybody ever run into this? Where can I get such a thing? I've tried Radio Shack, but all they have are separate resistors (and I didn't see any with 10-50 ohm resistance). Ideas?

Baradium

Lives in an IH Dealership
You have a voltmeter? See what your section of wire's resistance is and then get a resistor to bring it up to what it needs to be.

E. Murray

Farmall Cub
I'm stupid...

I just found the resistors I need. I overlooked them before. Thanks for the reply and sorry for the wasted time...

Baradium

Lives in an IH Dealership
Re: I'm stupid...

Originally posted by E. Murray
I just found the resistors I need. I overlooked them before. Thanks for the reply and sorry for the wasted time...

It's no wasted time. Just glad you got it figured out. :)

George Womack

Y-Block King
You don't have to use resistor wire for this alternator wire. You can use regular wire, and either a diode or warning light inline in the wire. The purpose of any of the three is to prevent current from backfeeding to the ignition circuit. Without something to prevent this, you can't shut off the engine with the ignition switch.