BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Recessed" Closed knuckle plug?

Binder TV

Buckeye

Farmall Cub
Hello All!

I am getting ready to do the front disc brake conversion tomorrow morning on my 1971 Scout with Dana 30 closed knuckle axles. I am looking for a source for the "recessed" fill plug to clear the new caliper. After doing much research through the forum threads, the only part number/source I was able to come up with is this:
part # 4534K44 from Mcmaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/121/69/=xih93j

I am hoping that I can find something local so I can complete this project tomorrow, otherwise I will order on Monday and wait:( I also read someone mentioning that these may be found at the hardware store? Has anyone who has made the swap had any luck sourcing these plugs at their local auto or home parts store? If so any leads? It looks like a 1/2 npt steel plug from the link.

Thank you for any input!

Brady

guidolyons

High Wheeler
Yep, auto parts stores should have them, sometimes in the speedparts aisle, here's a Dorman part #

5040082-007[1].jpg

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/DAG0/65261.oap?ck=Search_npt+plug_-1_1907&keyword=npt+plug
Dorman AutoGrade - Expansion Plug - Engine Cylinder Head Part # 65261
  • UPC: 74956526129
  • Pipe Plug C.S. Hex 1/2-14 NPT X 9/16 In.

• Additional Details
    • Head Size (In): 3/8 Inch
    • Head Style: Allen
    • Length (In): 9/16 Inch
    • Thread Size: 1/2-14 Inch

Buckeye

Farmall Cub
Thanks Guido! I picked up a pair of these at NAPA this morning. However, I started my disc brake conversion today with one of the disc kits sold R-P 4WD and it looks like after I hung my caliper on the caliper mounting bracket the extended stock plug doesn't interfere with the caliper. It looks like even with the caliper shuffling over when the brake pads wear, it will not come close to rubbing on the current stick fill plug. Weird huh?