BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

rear axle id help

tjswenson

Farmall Cub
Hoping for some help identifying the rear axle on my 70 Scout. It's a bit of a Frankenstein rig. Is this a dana 44?
70 rear axle.JPG

Bussy

High Wheeler
That tab on the upper right cover bolt will give you the gear ration but not sure if it has the axle ID on it. It is most likely a Dana 44.

BinderBookie

High Wheeler
That is a Dana 44 by the shape of the cover. Besides the tag (which I do not see) Dana stamped on a Bill of Materials (BOM) onto an axle tune (usually the right outer facing tube) but you will have to scrape to find it. If you desire to scrape for it, and post it, I have Spicer books and can decode the number and tell you what ratio it left the Dana factory with and whether or not it had a limited slip. This may be redundant information and not worth the effort.

Dana Strong

Lives in an IH Dealership
That is a Dana 44 by the shape of the cover. Besides the tag (which I do not see) Dana stamped on a Bill of Materials (BOM) onto an axle tune (usually the right outer facing tube) but you will have to scrape to find it. If you desire to scrape for it, and post it, I have Spicer books and can decode the number and tell you what ratio it left the Dana factory with and whether or not it had a limited slip. This may be redundant information and not worth the effort.
We used to have a thread about Dana Axle Identification in the Knowledge Base forum, but I can't find it now; it seems to be missing. Luckily, I copied and saved the main information long ago and have reprinted it below:

How to Identify a Dana / Spicer Axle

To help identify the variousDana/ Spicer axle models, here is a drawing showing the location of the model number, and the Dana/ Spicer bill of materials number which can be used to identify the axle.

For Dana front axle model 44 for Scouts thru '79 the B/M is: 610035-x. The 7th digit identifies the ratio. -1=3.07, -2=3.54, -3=4.09, -4=4.27, -5=3.73.

For Dana front axle model 44 for 1980 Scouts the B/M is: 610083-x. The 7th digit identifies the ratio. -1=3.07, -2=3.54, -3=4.09, -4=4.27, -5=3.73, -6=2.72, -7=3.31.

For Dana rear axle model 44 for Scout applications the B/M is: 603882-x. The 7th digit identifies the ratio, and differential type. -1=3.07 STD, -2=3.07 L/S, -3=3.54 STD, -4=3.54 L/S, -5=4.09 STD, -6=4.09 L/S, -7=4.27 STD, -8=4.27 L/S, -9=3.73 STD, -10=3.73 L/S, -11=2.72 STD, -12=2.72 L/S, -13=3.31 STD, -14=3.31 L/S, -15=4.55 STD, -16=4.78 STD.

Note that all ratios were not available for every model year. The 2.72 ratio was only available in the 1980 model for example. Also if you suspect that the gear ratio has been changed you would need to get the number of gear teeth that is stamped on the ring gear, and calculate the ratio. 43/14 = 43(ring gear) divided by 14 (pinion gear) = 3.07 for example.

upload_2015-11-23_10-11-38.png

S.H.A.F.T.

Farmall Cub
According to the illustration Dana supplied, the axle model number should be cast into the webbing at the bottom of the housing on the long tube side. I'm going to check mine even though I know what it is.

S.H.A.F.T.

tjswenson

Farmall Cub
Thank you for all the outstanding information and help with identifying this axle. I'm now feeling a little sheepish that I didn't see this sooner, but 44-1 is clearly stamped on the top RH side of the differential!! I'll be back in touch with BOM number when I have some time to scrape for it. Also, I was able to find this Dana axle identification chart on the web http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml
Dana 44 rear differential.JPG

tjswenson

Farmall Cub

Thank you BinderBookie. I ground off all the paint on my Dana 44 rear axle but could not find the stamped bill of material numbers. The section of the axle where I expected to find it had rust pitting so that number may be lost. I found the BOM and date stamp on the front Dana 27 axle, so I'm hoping you can tell me what these numbers mean. Date stamp: 12 18-8B5 BOM: 602894 1 (4.27 gear ratio per tag on housing)

Last edited:

BinderBookie

High Wheeler
That number falls below the range of BOMs for 1970, indicating it's earlier. I have books from '67 up and '60 down. I have been searching for years for one from '61-66. I have bits and pieces from the era. Based on the number, I'd say it's a Dana 27 built prior to 1967.

BinderBookie

High Wheeler
I forgot about the date code, 12-18-8B5, which decodes to December 18, 1968, plant and shift code B5. Should show up in my '67 book but doesn't and I think I know why.

Starting in 1967, Dana developed a hybrid axle for Scouts. They were used on '67-71 800 V8s (also used for the 6-cylinders when they debuted in '69). They combined a Dana 30 center section with Dana 27 outers. Though the ring and pinions are similar, 27 to 30, the 30 had a beefier case and slightly larger pinion bearings (IIRC). The hybrid was wider than the standard 4-cylinder axle and had thicker tubes for the extra weight of the V8. It was also set up with the steering system used for the V8s, which put the steering box outside the frame rather than inside.

As I dug into this a little, I made a strange discovery. It turns out that somebody I know emailed me with the same BOM about a year ago, but with a 1967 date code. I couldn't decode it then either! I know the owner of a '67 Scout V8 and I have emailed him asking for his BOM and date code. If it shows that BOM, then we know yours is a V8 axle. The '67 listing for the Scout shows a Dana 30 with a BOM of 602951 (ratios codes varied), so either that is the hybrid or the standard axle. It's a little odd that the D27 isn't listed in the '67 book.

As an FYI, IH had been building two front axles for the Scout from '67, the D27 for the fours and the D27/30 hybrid. When the sixes debuted in '69, they used the hybrid axle and V8 chassis. To homologate production, it was decided in February of '69 to use the hybrid axle for everything. The Product planning books say implementation started in April of '69 but that it would take a while to purge the remaining D27s from the system, so apparently you saw both types coming of the line for some period after April.

in looking at this era 800, 800A, 800B, I find three BOMs all listed as "Dana 30"

'67-69- 602951
'69.5-70- 603144
'70.5-71- 603184

Anyone with a '66-71 800, 800A or 800B, chime in with your front axle BOM (right tube facing forward, and help figure this out.

tjswenson

Farmall Cub
That number falls below the range of BOMs for 1970, indicating it's earlier. I have books from '67 up and '60 down. I have been searching for years for one from '61-66. I have bits and pieces from the era. Based on the number, I'd say it's a Dana 27 built prior to 1967.

Thank you, Binderbookie, for checking. I guess I can spin the pinion gear yoke and count wheel rotations or check the ring gear/pinion gear teeth ratio as Dana Strong suggested to get my gear ratio.
I forgot about the date code, 12-18-8B5, which decodes to December 18, 1968, plant and shift code B5. Should show up in my '67 book but doesn't and I think I know why.

Starting in 1967, Dana developed a hybrid axle for Scouts. They were used on '67-71 800 V8s (also used for the 6-cylinders when they debuted in '69). They combined a Dana 30 center section with Dana 27 outers. Though the ring and pinions are similar, 27 to 30, the 30 had a beefier case and slightly larger pinion bearings (IIRC). The hybrid was wider than the standard 4-cylinder axle and had thicker tubes for the extra weight of the V8. It was also set up with the steering system used for the V8s, which put the steering box outside the frame rather than inside.

As I dug into this a little, I made a strange discovery. It turns out that somebody I know emailed me with the same BOM about a year ago, but with a 1967 date code. I couldn't decode it then either! I know the owner of a '67 Scout V8 and I have emailed him asking for his BOM and date code. If it shows that BOM, then we know yours is a V8 axle. The '67 listing for the Scout shows a Dana 30 with a BOM of 602951 (ratios codes varied), so either that is the hybrid or the standard axle. It's a little odd that the D27 isn't listed in the '67 book.

As an FYI, IH had been building two front axles for the Scout from '67, the D27 for the fours and the D27/30 hybrid. When the sixes debuted in '69, they used the hybrid axle and V8 chassis. To homologate production, it was decided in February of '69 to use the hybrid axle for everything. The Product planning books say implementation started in April of '69 but that it would take a while to purge the remaining D27s from the system, so apparently you saw both types coming of the line for some period after April.

in looking at this era 800, 800A, 800B, I find three BOMs all listed as "Dana 30"

'67-69- 602951
'69.5-70- 603144
'70.5-71- 603184

Anyone with a '66-71 800, 800A or 800B, chime in with your front axle BOM (right tube facing forward, and help figure this out.

BinderBookie,
First of all, wow! Thank you for so thoroughly looking into this for me. What you say is not only very interesting production history, it also makes perfect sense that this particular axle would be what you suspect: a hybrid Dana 30 with 27 ends. The line set ticket for the scout lists the front axle as FA11 (02011...) which would indicate a "Dana 30 w/ 27 ends 2500#" as noted in this knowledge base article: http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/index.php?resources/interpreting-lineset-component-codes.12/

The LST also indicates that the scout came with a 6 cyl. AMC 232" engine. This also matches what you have as one of the applications for this axle. I didn't have complete faith that I had the correct LST for my scout because I felt the PO may have made some changes along the way, but, so far, things seem to be matching up.

My scout will have a rebuilt 304 V8, so if this axle is equivalent to the beefier Dana 30, that gives me one less thing to worry about especially because of the 2500# weight rating vs. 2000# on the Dana 27. Also, your help with the date code helps to confirm that this axle, more than likely, is original to the rig. Your information will also be helpful if I need to order parts for the axle. I can't thank you enough.

Dana Strong

Lives in an IH Dealership

'67-69- 602951
'69.5-70- 603144
'70.5-71- 603184

The 3.73 ratio 30/27 (per LST) axle on my '71 has: 12 21 0 C5 and 603184 2

Jim, yours is information which needs to be in the Knowledge Base section, IMHO. BTW, Last time I looked for the old article (from the old site) on Axle ID, I couldn't find it. It may still exist as a standard thread, but seems not to be in or to have its link in that section anymore.

Last edited:

BinderBookie

High Wheeler
The 3.73 ratio 30/27 (per LST) axle on my '71 has: 12 21 184 C5 and 603184 2

Jim, yours is information which needs to be in the Knowledge Base section, IMHO. BTW, Last time I looked for the old article (from the old site) on Axle ID, I couldn't find it. It may still exist as a standard thread, but seems not to be in or to have its link in that section anymore.

Good the see the numbers line up with the Spicer book on your '71. Was it a four, six or V8?

Well, after I figure this all out, and after the book is published, I'll put a more comprehensive thing together. The book goes to the printer next week.

tjswenson

Farmall Cub
Wanted to pass on a little more information about my front axle that I was able to get directly from technical assistance at Dana Spicer (build of materials number 602894 1/ Build date number 12 18-8B5). I was told that the BOM (and identical 602894 2 BOM) were originally released from the factory on December 23, 1965 and were a straight Dana 27 axle with a 4.27 gear ratio. However, that series of axles was "rewritten" May 8, 1968 due to a change in the carrier cover bolts.

That would account for why Jim was unable to find this BOM in his below "1960 and above 1967" reference material as well as explain the confusing later build date of 1968. So long story short, if your scout has a front axle with a BOM of 602894 1 or 602894 2, you've got a plain ol' Dana 27 axle from a run that started in 1965 and went through 1970. I may be the only one who finds this interesting, but I enjoy finding out all I can about my Scout. It's a bit like researching family history even if you find out you're not related to George Washington or don't have a unique axle under you.

BinderBookie

High Wheeler
Wanted to pass on a little more information about my front axle that I was able to get directly from technical assistance at Dana Spicer (build of materials number 602894 1/ Build date number 12 18-8B5). I was told that the BOM (and identical 602894 2 BOM) were originally released from the factory on December 23, 1965 and were a straight Dana 27 axle with a 4.27 gear ratio. However, that series of axles was "rewritten" May 8, 1968 due to a change in the carrier cover bolts.

That would account for why Jim was unable to find this BOM in his below "1960 and above 1967" reference material as well as explain the confusing later build date of 1968. So long story short, if your scout has a front axle with a BOM of 602894 1 or 602894 2, you've got a plain ol' Dana 27 axle from a run that started in 1965 and went through 1970. I may be the only one who finds this interesting, but I enjoy finding out all I can about my Scout. It's a bit like researching family history even if you find out you're not related to George Washington or don't have a unique axle under you.

Geeks like us! Good info! This application must have been for the 4-cylinder applications before they went to the homogenized axles, so that pins it down better. I presume your application is that... a straight four-cylinder 800?

My biggest surprise what that you so easily got info. I have tried (not recently) to get info from this period and was told "We don't have that older stuff any more." I took that to mean, "I'm to friggin' lazy to find it for you." Maybe I need your contact!

tjswenson

Farmall Cub
I presume your application is that... a straight four-cylinder 800?
You see, that's what's hard about my build here. I've got a V8 (or straight 6) frame and body, Dana 44 rear axle and this Dana 27 front axle that I bought from the grandson a scout-enthusiast gentleman whose memory is failing. My guess is that the 27 came from a 4-cyl. 196 scout. I'm just hoping I don't tear up the D27 when I eventually put the in 304 V8.

lsparks

Farmall Cub
I have a 1963 scout 80 and a few extra axles that i thought might work when rebuilding the 63. But i see the 68s i thought might work, wont because the 63 has the Dana 27s that are offset in the rear. I guess I'll rebuild the originals. my question is about the numbers on these that i was truing to decode.

the extras i have that i thought i took out of a 64 and a 68 have these numbers.

the front one has the numbers 4303A52402 , not what I expected it physically looks like the others, just numbered different.
the other front has the number ( I guess this is a date of some kind) 59 7A5 (I think its a 7may be a 1) and then a 602894-12 i cannot find that BOM number either.

in the 63 i have the front axle with these codes N5 2A5 2502 , Might be a 2602, but I think its 2502. the rear axles i cannot fins a stamp on the ones that are the Dana 27As, in the 63 or out of maybe the 64.

i do have one rear axle that maybe a 68, has these numbers 7 25 7A 602962-5 it shows up as a 67 - 69 Scout 1, scout II or a traveler, it maybe out of a 2 wheel drive one I wrecked out as well.

Any help in decoding these would be great. Thanks

BinderBookie

High Wheeler
The '63 N52A5 2502 is the old style, pre-'65-66 Dana numbering system. Are you sure of the "N" in the first series of numbers? That defies convention a little but could indicate an axle built in November of 1962. All the D27s I've seen have the 2502 number. Often there is a dash and another number. Most likely it's a 4.27:1 ratio, the only other option being 4.88 that came in during the '63 model year. Most of th encumbers I have collected have a "dash something" after the main 2502. You might double check.

597A5 602894-12 was built April 9, 1967 and was a Dana 27, probably for a 4-cylinder. The -12 indicates the ring and pinion ratio but I do not have exact info on it. Most likely it is 4.27:1.

That 4303A52402 is interesting and rings a bell but I can't place it. From where on the axle did you get the number?