BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"rare" ? 4 speed 800?

Binder TV

310scouts

Banned
Is a 4 speed in an 800A really rare?

Also... do I want to get the 4 speed rather than the (working fine) 3 speed?

Thanks! -SB (going towards a '69 800-A, w/196)

Gary Billings

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Steve,

The 4-spds aren't common behind the 4-cylinders.

They make for a lot easier driveability, especially on the way up mountains on the way to the ski lifts. It's nice to have that extra gear in between 1st and direct.

If you do the swap, make sure to get the bellhousing, crossmember and mount that goes with the 4-spd.

-Gary

310scouts

Banned
Gary Billings said:
.....make sure to get the bellhousing, crossmember and mount that goes with the 4-spd......

Thanks for that Gary... I'm betting that would have been overlooked!

Any other cautions or warnings or advice? T-case issues or mountings?....

Justin Graham

Farmall Cub
Yeah, they're pretty hard to come by, but well worth the search. Don't forget the driveshafts too. The T18 is physically bigger than the T90, because of this the rear driveshaft is shorter and the front is longer.

HTH,
Justin

Gary Billings

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Justin Graham said:
Yeah, they're pretty hard to come by, but well worth the search. Don't forget the driveshafts too. The T18 is physically bigger than the T90, because of this the rear driveshaft is shorter and the front is longer.

HTH,
Justin

To build on what Justin said, you'll need new driveshafts. For the rear, find a Terra/Traveler driveshaft and have it shortened at a d-shaft shop. They are really beefy and cheap. I bought one at the local Pull-N-Save for $8, had it shortened & balanced for $20, new u-joints for $12...so for $40 I had an indestructible rear driveshaft. Oh yeah, I went overkill because it's in my '62 2wd Scout 80 with T-90, 152 & Dana 27 rear. Basically everything else in the drivetrain will grenade before the shaft does :)

The 3spd bull gear, nut and t-case should mount right on the back of that T-18.

-Gary

Scott L

High Wheeler
310scouts said:
Is a 4 speed in an 800A really rare?

Also... do I want to get the 4 speed rather than the (working fine) 3 speed?

Thanks! -SB (going towards a '69 800-A, w/196)

Just of note: be sure to look for the 4 speed behind only the 4 cylinders jobs. The 4 speeds behind the V8's or 6's may also be rare (idaknow), but those will have the longer input shaft and bellhousings. You will be looking for the 4 cylinder/4 speed in order to get the shorter input shaft and shorter (pancake) bellhousing.

You may have already read about this in earlier posts, or were reading between the lines when the others posted, but wanted to point out that not just any 4 speed in an 800,800A,800B would work.

budget76

High Wheeler
dont want to hijack the thread, but since we are on 4 speeds, i wouldn need new driveshafts for a 4spd in a scout 2 correct? also, i beleive it is a straight bolt up after the 3 speed with a 196.

Mike Woodman

Binder Driver
I got unexpectedly got a 4 spd in a junk 800 I bought for the pickup roof. It's now in my Scout 80 w/196 daily driver and I like it way better than the 3 spd. I do think it was a rare setup.