Questions on heater and horn 77 scout

Discussion in 'General IH Tech' started by danslaw, Apr 16, 2008.

1. danslaw

danslaw Farmall Cub

I have 2 questions that I need some of the forum's collective wisdom on:

1. Heater. The fan switch for my heater on the dash shows a "Low" and "High" setting, but the fan only blows at one speed, I assume it's low. I found the heater core and it has two wires coming out of it. I also found the two wires that go to the switch,one connects to the heater core and the other goes nowhere. I tested the one that connects to the core and it's the "Low" setting, the other wire that just ends is the "High" setting. However the core only has two wires coming out - one is connected to the "low" wire and one I assume is a ground. So, what's the deal? I am wondering if the PO swapped out a 2 spead heater blower and put a single speed in? any thoughts? should i change it back to a 2-speed?

2. Horn. Every time I replace the fuse for the horn under the dash it burns out again in about a day or two. Do I have a short? Its a 14 amp fuse. Should I go with a higher amp fuse?

77 scout II
    345 V8
    727 trans
    holley 2 bbl

2. ihscoutlover

ihscoutlover High Wheeler

2. Horn. Every time I replace the fuse for the horn under the dash it burns out again in about a day or two. Do I have a short? Its a 14 amp fuse. Should I go with a higher amp fuse?

First, you need to figger out what is shorting this fuse out. If it is a 14 you have to stay with 14 or you could overload the circuit and cause a fire. To do this, hook an automotive test light to the Positive battery cable, and see if when you pull that fuse the light goes out. If so, you have a short somewhere in that circuit, and need to find and fix it. That fuse is doing its job. Let us know what you find out though, as it could be something more need to look at.

Jeff

3. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

On the bottom of the blower housing is a multi tap(or should be) resistor block that the 2 speeds hook to then the blower hooks to the block.Its held on by 2 screws.
    Jeff