BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Quality" dash knobs?

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

scorp1us

High Wheeler
I've replaced my headlight switch once already, but my dash lights still flicker. It seems that all the switches are identical construction to 40 years ago. Does anyone make a quality or more modern construction version of the switch?

At the same time is there a wiper switch to that adds intermittent function to the wipers?

Thanks.

walkersscout

High Wheeler
Flicker is generally voltage regulations not switches. Check your grounds and your VR.

Dana Strong

Lives in an IH Dealership
I've replaced my headlight switch once already, but my dash lights still flicker. It seems that all the switches are identical construction to 40 years ago. Does anyone make a quality or more modern construction version of the switch?
What makes you think the flickering is due to a bad switch and not a poor ground or perhaps a bad connection somewhere in the wiring to the lights? Those switches seemed well built, when I last looked at one.

"Quality" dash knobs?
Also, what the heck does this thread have to do with Knobs?​

.​

Last edited:

scorp1us

High Wheeler
Well my dash went out last night. So I pulled on the head light switch, and it came back. I fiddled with it, tugging, rotating the dimmer in an organized fashion, as to ascertain the cause. While trying to keep the switch body from moving, the lights flickered as I rotated the dimmer, so that makes me think it's a bad switch.

Jeff Jamison

The switch itself needs a good ground to operate the lights,remove switch,sand back of dash and reinstall.

jeff campbell

Staff member
here's what you need ?
DSCF2918-S2 H.L.sw.JPG
DSCF2919-H.L.sw S2.JPG

Greg R

It could very well be the dimmer. I ran into this same thing some years ago on the 68 800 and the 71 1210. In both cases the light switches were replaced because of age and non-functioning head lights. The older switches regulated voltage/dimness perfectly to the dash lights. The new switches gave spotty dash light dimming. Try as I could, and an exchange for the 1210 where I was lucky to get any dash lights, I figured it was the cheap rheostat/dimmer in the new switches. I checked grounds, cleaned all connections, and nothing improved. What I found on what I think is the reason is the old rheostats on the old switches had a copper wiper and fine turns of wire on the resistor band. The new switches' dimmers seemed a lot cruder. They didn't have as many turns of wire and the wiper was bright metal, maybe zinc plated steel; and the mechanical action was sketchy compared to the smooth feel when rotating the old ones. As long as I have "some" lights, I live with it.

bull

Binder Driver
I like those black knobs...far as headlight switch the taco built is poor.. i had to go thru 3 of them to find one that would latch onto the knob properly..the rheostat aint great either....if jeff has a usa built switch you should snag it if price is reasonable...generally i find all mexican built parts are poor and a far cry from what they use to be

mallen

Y-Block King

At the same time is there a wiper switch to that adds intermittent function to the wipers?

Thanks.

Does it flicker with the engine off? Or just with it on?

Zaedster

Farmall Cub
I got one NOS USA made Delco headlight switch left if you don't want to go with the new ones.
131477-17c545d498cda0ca2ea7123d7d33aa25.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2157[1].JPG
    IMG_2157[1].JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_2157[1].JPG
    IMG_2157[1].JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 42

jtorre4272

High Wheeler
I like those black knobs...far as headlight switch the taco built is poor.. i had to go thru 3 of them to find one that would latch onto the knob properly..the rheostat aint great either....if jeff has a usa built switch you should snag it if price is reasonable...generally i find all mexican built parts are poor and a far cry from what they use to be
I completely agree on the headlight switches from Standard Motor Products out of Mexico. I installed a new one, which immediately felt cheap compared to original USA one, and lighter, with less quality parts such as the rheostat. It was also faulty as the dome light ground circuit had very high resistance and did not function when knob turned. I threw it in the trash, cleaned up my original switch, used some dielectric grease, and reinstalled. It feels more tight when being turned as well. I learned my lesson.

kdsmit

Binder Driver
Nice knobs! I have been searching for some, with no luck. Thanks for the post!