BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"project trail boss"

Binder TV

Ricky77

High Wheeler
Just got done watching "Trucks" and what they did to a CJ that they called "Project Trail Boss". Whatever :eek: . I have a healthy respect for jeeps in general as most of the off roaders out there run them. There are a million upgrades available from a wide variety of places but what these guys
built just boggles me. When it was all said and done there were huge bumpers from Road Armour, beautiful aluminum wheels and an outstanding fiberglass top also from Road Armour. What killed me was when they said that this vehicle would be spending most of it's time off road and then went to a skit from Moab to show what that jeep might be doing. This thing is a SHOW TRUCK nothing more and nothing less. The bumpers stick out about 8 inces on either side front and rear. There was a wench installed but no safety gear. I didn't see any fire exstinguishers (spelling?), no off road seat harnesses, not much in the way of recovery gear even though there is plenty of cargo room for such things. The spare tire carrier stuck way out back just waiting for a rock to kill it and the high lift jack was mounted so it was as low in the back end as the spring shackles. I know that I have no expeience in anything serious off road but even a rank novice like me could poke holes in most of what they did. Just wanted to rant and rave for a sec guys thanks for listening.

Ricky 77

P.S. The new carpet and the bright yellow paint job are really a must for a rock crawler :rolleyes:

rick W.

Binder Driver
That TV show is about the equivalent of a 4x4 magazine. As far as tech is concerned take everything with a grain of salt and don't get too worked up over miss info. It's just for entertainment value. :)

MattRasmussen

Farmall Cub
Keep in mind that this show also uses products they are paid to use.
(I love how they use parts they just "picked up" from so and so.. only cost xthousand dollars too.)
I asked what it would take for them to showcase the boly removal tool my company sells... they wanted $3000.00 for it to appear on a single episode for less then 10 seconds. I still enjoy the show, some of the tips and ideas they have are genuinely good, but some of the products they use... well you know.

MikeInMobile

High Wheeler
They are using a 2wd 40s IH KB? pickup body and frame, whats left of them after mods, to build a street rod. Gotta give em credit for the IH content.

I like the huge yellow military truck they brought in and "revived". The tease was the set of 44? inch tires next to it, and the phrase "but what would it take to make these fit?" Id like to see that buildup.

They do tend to overdo stuff like paint, chrome, etc, but who would watch if they didnt make it flashy?
Its not a reality show, its more like fantasy, or "what if you had a 25,000 dollar engine and 25,000 dollar paint job and ...........................".

jhnyct

High Wheeler
I don't know if you saw the final episode of the "Crazy Horse" project, but I was pleasantly suprised. They built the Bronco very flashy, but ran the crap out it on the test drive. They almost always drive all of their projects really hard. I have to give them credit for not treating them as a show car.

Dave Alexander

Farmall Cub
Rastus said:
I assume the wench was removable by unhooking her seat belt? :)

I have a radio show in Raleigh NC and get 4x4 callers all the time who say the vehicle is outfitted with a wench... I think -- (and I'll say sorry if I'm wrong) a wench is an old word for a babe, and a winch is something to pull the babe's Jeep from a 5-inch mud puddle.

Ricky77

High Wheeler
jhnyct said:
I don't know if you saw the final episode of the "Crazy Horse" project, but I was pleasantly suprised. They built the Bronco very flashy, but ran the crap out it on the test drive. They almost always drive all of their projects really hard. I have to give them credit for not treating them as a show car.

They really ran the heck out of that bronco. I saw the tail end of it when the spare tire carrier flew out of the back. That was one episode I'm sorry I missed

Ricky 77

shawn davis

Binder Driver
MikeInMobile said:
They are using a 2wd 40s IH KB? pickup body and frame, whats left of them after mods, to build a street rod. Gotta give em credit for the IH content......".

according to what they have said on the show the ih is a 34 model.

shawn
72 1110 now 2wd soon 4wd

RD Durham

High Wheeler
Eric Studi brought this truck to RMIHR this year. According to Eric it isn't quite finished, but it still won "Best Engineering" as well as it's own year class which I believe was late '30s. Frame extends, rear wheel steering, hydralic steering at both axles, etc. I wonder how that would equat to what is on this show?

Attachments

• Studi36.jpg
    Studi36.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 77

Rastus

Farmall Cub
Dave Alexander said:
I think -- (and I'll say sorry if I'm wrong) a wench is an old word for a babe

LOL, I don't know if "babe" is exactly right. Wench is not the most polite term, but many would take it as such anymore. Say this outloud with lots of gusto and maybe a slight slur to get the full effect -- "Wench! Bring me another beer"
:eek:

PS. Sorry to any that I may have offended by bringing this up. However, my wife is demanding in that I can have a winch, but no wenches are allowed in the Scout.

Munchies

High Wheeler
Rastus said:
LOL, I don't know if "babe" is exactly right. Wench is not the most polite term, but many would take it as such anymore. Say this outloud with lots of gusto and maybe a slight slur to get the full effect -- "Wench! Bring me another beer"
:eek:

PS. Sorry to any that I may have offended by bringing this up. However, my wife is demanding in that I can have a winch, but no wenches are allowed in the Scout.

You ruined it!!! It's "Wench, bring me a sammich!!!"

Im just joking if there happens to be any ladies here, in real life I am a complete gentlemen.

MikeInMobile

High Wheeler
My mistake, it is a 34 IH pickup, with a (size?) hemi engine. They call it Hairy Hauler. Its a street rod project.

http://www.truckstv.com/

I dont think there is any way to compare it to the well thought out and nicely constructed rock buggy above though.
They are completely different animals, apples to oranges, etc.
They both share a little bit of IHC though. :D

I do like to see IHC getting some positive national press too. :)

I actually wouldnt mind being seen in either of them. :cool:

Bear Noland

Farmall Cub
I am not sure but I think the wenches are getting a somewhat bad rap. To me a wench in the Irish sense is a woman who speaks her mind, is as likely to kick your butt when you come home to late as she is to come home later than you did but if you are her man then if you get into a tiff with one of those J**ps drivers then she just takes care of your light work so you don't need to set down that mug of ale. Someone you really want on your side, and beside you, in your Scout and proud to have her there. Oh yes, and she gives much greater meaning to ROMP in the Hay than anyone else in the surrounding counties. The winch is a useful tool and the wench is an absolutely necessary companion, and yes they can come in very attractive packaging. I currently have an opening for one should a true wench be out there!! :D :) :eek: :(