BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project Oil Burner

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

CoopVA

Binder Driver
Looking really good there Levi! Planning on using a similar exterior color, a semi gloss NATO OD Green and Seafoam Green interior and engine bay... Will be following this for sure.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
We got a lot of pictures to get this thing up to date. It is almost ready for its first test drive. I will try to get some pictures up this week.!!:punk:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Got a free minute so I thought I would post up some pictures. I have been busy trying to knock out a few little mechanical odds n ends , but mostly reassembly stuff. We got the front fenders and grill painted and back on.

picture.php

We really didn't feel like chrome had any place on this rig so we dug out some marker bezels that were less than perfect, cleaned them up , and gave them a couple coats of semi gloss black. We did use some nice clean lenses though.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Not wanting anything shiny worked out to our benefit. The scout is a 74-75 and Dwain really wanted to have the factory grille insert. The only one we could find that was within a price range we both felt OK about was less than perfect. All the mounting tabs were broken and the chrome was pretty crappy. So again some sanding, etching, and some semigloss later we were looking good. Since the mounting tabs were all broken I countersunk some holes and used some stainless screws to mount it.

picture.php

picture.php

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Next up we got busy getting the doors painted and hung, wing windows in, new window felts, and the glass back in.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

The rig also needed some badges so both fenders got one of these guys.

picture.php

That pretty much gets us up to date on body stuff, so now I will kind of go backwards and catch us up with some chassis and engine stuff. I looked at a couple different way to run the tach. The easiest way would have been to use 2 earth magnets on the crank pulley and a magnetic pickup mounted off the oil pan. Easy was not an option. This 4bt doesn't have enough meat to really mount the little magnets to the face of the pulley and running a 12 valve balancer was not an option due to where the coolant crossover tube fell. So a little search on the intraweb and I found Isspro sells a magnetic pickup that can be used in the bellhousing. Some drilling and tapping on the bellhousing adapter later, then we simply set the switches inside the tach to count 146 pulses per revolution {number of teeth on the flywheel} and Viola we had a working tach.

picture.php

With that done we needed to get the engine breathing. With the Down pipe kind of hanging out in the engine compartment I felt it needed some insulation to keep heat in the engine bay to a minimum. It got coated in some hi temp paint, baked, wrapped, and installed.

picture.php

picture.php

The intake was plumbed into the cowl so it could pull cooler air.

picture.php

Lastly on the update stuff we managed to get the cage tied to the frame and as you can see from the other pictures the seats installed. The shocks were mounted and the hydroassist installed.

Front frame tie ins and some stuff added to the cage. Dash bar and a shoulder bar for harness mounts. The dash bar wraps towards the dash pad to allow full movement of the steering wheel in all positions of tilt.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Seats installed in case you missed it in the other pics. :D

picture.php

picture.php

Next update I will post up some pics of the shock mounts and hydraulic assist. Right now I am working on finishing the exhaust. Stay tuned :beer:

Last edited:

CoopVA

Binder Driver
Man, that is looking SWEET!

Did you rough up the marker bezels before painting them? I want to black out all my chrome and was thinking about blasting the chrome off...

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Got lots to update. The rig actually made it out of the garage under its own power! Will post some pics and wordage in the next bit! :beer:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Alright so here we go. Door panels got cleaned up and shot with UPOL to match the interior, along with cleaning the grime off of the door handles, window cranks, and arm rests.

picture.php

picture.php

We also took a somewhat crusty old pillow top back seat that was in Dwain's parts rig and cleaned it up and dyed it black. Not perfect , but I don't think anybody's rear end is gonna complain. We also installed some shoulder harnesses and lap belts in the front.

picture.php

picture.php

With most of the interior finished up I got started finishing up the exhaust. To keep the twists and turns to a minimum we ended up with it dumping on the driverside. The fueling on this truck has been kept very modest per request of the owner so oncoming traffic will not experience any large soot clouds in low boost situations.

picture.php

picture.php

After finishing up the exhaust the next obvious thing to do was to start her up to hear how it sounded. Wellllllll.......... It started, but the injector pump decided to hemorrhage fuel from the head and the main body. It still ran and didn't lose prime, but was dripping fuel at an alarming rate while running. So off to the rebuild shop it went. While it was off I decided to clean up the old lines and give them a couple coats of IH red.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Now that she was back in action we needed to address the drivelines. As always we contracted the guys at Tom Woods to build us one. What we ended up was a CV shaft of the 1350 breed. Now if you were paying attention during the rest of the build thread your thinking now how you gonna keep this thing from rolling if you need to hop out quickly cause ther isn't any e brake. Well we had Mr. Woods hook us up. Along with the rear shaft we opted for one of their rotor and brake kits for the back of the 205. More on that install later, but here is the beef!!

picture.php

With the rear shaft in and a few things torqued it was time to pull it out of the garage under its own power and see if we were going to have catastrophic failure. So with out further ado.......

[youtube]6nOFS2zyklE[/youtube]

Last edited:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
With the test out of the way I decided on a full on shake down run. The truck sits right now with about 11 miles on the ticker. Now there is still a lot left to do, but it is always a big hurdle to run one down the road.

[youtube]9OH-DR8wWRY[/youtube]

For now a few outside pics after a bath and some light stretching.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Thanks man :beer: I would love to make the trip, but it just isn't in the cards this year. Even if I could it would take a miracle to get this truck done enough to where it could make the trip.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
I have been slacking on updating this thread. The rig has since left the shop and is in the hands of the owner. I have alot of pictures to add later, but for now I will just catch a few of the high points. Will add some verbage when I update this proper so for now brief description and pretty pictures.

Wheels blasted and industrial coated assembled with new hardware.

Ebrake setup finished up. I modified a forklift ebrake handle to accept a standard automotive cable.

Top painted with craigslist roof rack installed

Flexy pic. measuring for front shaft

Front bumper. Dwain wanted a big brush guard so thats what he got!!

Finished up waiting to go home

69scout

Farmall Cub
Hey whats up with the rear tire carrier are there any pictures of the Rear tire carrier? Amazing BUILD! Thanks for sharing your work! also any more info on the drive shaft brake kit? I need to do the same.

Any pics of the sliders aswell?

Last edited: