BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project: Hereford (75 Travelette Build)

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
this would have sit farther ahead and bolted to the frame(2 short pieces that go from frame side rails to the front crossmember.I just wrote all this and its probably the same as your other truck.

Cool, that makes sense. It's not the same as my other truck, that has the "dogbone" front mounts. So thanks for enlightening me!

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
Dropped the oil pan... There's some funk, not totally convinced its cam bearings though. Almost seems like pieces of gasket and ...pine needles? So what should I do? Just run it for now, replace cam bearings only, pull it and rebuild it, rebuild the 392 out of the T-all, look for a diesel? Just don't say LS!:no:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Jeff Jamison

Lives in an IH Dealership
I would probably run it for awhile while rebuilding the 392,it might last along time.My travelette had what sounds like a rod knock,figured I would run it awhile,well that was 110,000 miles ago,engine in second truck and still has that knock.

BigRigg

Y-Block King
I'd run it. If your going to replace cam bearings, might as well replace the cam and lifters, tho.

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
thanks, Jeff and Josh, that's what my gut(and my wallet) are saying too, run it! Here's where the plot thickens; Upon further inspection, this 392E does not match the build sheet engine number. And it has this funny patent number on the freeze plug. Crate motor?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

J.J.

Run it. I have a 392 in my '73 1110 Travelall that has had this odd knock since I bought it 14 years ago. I even have another 392 ready to go, but it is like the Energizer Bunny..it just won't die. Some 70,000 miles later too.

JJ in TN

J.J.

I had a thought, does your motor use side mounts (74/75 style)? If not, maybe that is why it uses a front mount and the motor doesnt match the LST. I have a '73 392 in my '74 100, and I used Scout II motor mounts as the block was not drilled/cast for the side mounts.

JJ in TN

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
Thanks Patrick r, makes sense. An overheating indicator to protect the rebuilders. The PO told me engine was rebuilt in 2001, and that the heads were rebuilt in 2012 or so. He also told me a lot of BS so not sure what truth there is in it.

JJ, here some shots of the side motor mounts, they seem to be in good shape.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Got these nice shackle hangers from Ruff Stuff. I think they'll work like this for using 52" GM front springs. Unfortunately, though, I'm now remodeling our kitchen so the budget for this project is gone. I'll still tinker on it at a snails pace:dig:

BO185

Y-Block King
It may not be far enough toward the rear, I have GM springs on mine and they are the stock 47 or 48 fronts and they are little to long for the 2wd position which is the larger hole toward the back in that picture I believe. Might have to mock it up and see. Might can move front hanger fwd to gain some. As my front axle is little father back with the GM springs.

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
Darn, you're right. With the stock front hangers, a 48" spring would be perfect, but a 52" spring, shackle would need to go farther back. The front springs on my travelall parts truck are only 43". I've got some more ponderin to do. :cowboy:

Jeff Jamison

I believe you might have to off set the shackles also,depending on how far back you go.Look at the travelall shackles,they have a sleeve between the shackle and the spring because the frame is a different width in that area.

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
Here's what I've come up with. Pulled a rear spring off the travelall to use as a front spring on Hereford. It's a 52" spring. Mocked it up with offset shackle hanger and a front WFO hanger that I got on Black Friday. It gives about 3" of lift over the travelall's front setup. Plus the extra thickness of the spring pack and Dana 60, its going to be a monster. I plan on removing the overload springs but I'm a little worried this will be too much lift. It would be nice and flexy though! What do you guys think?
IMG_0324.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0338.JPG
IMG_0341.JPG
IMG_0345.JPG
IMG_0347.JPG

Darrel

What size tires are you going to run?
It's hard to get a good idea of the ride height without the full weight on the springs, but it does look high. I would tack weld the WFO hanger on, install your D60, and get it on the ground. For mock up remove the rear shackle and use a 2x4 between the leafspring and frame. A little bearing grease on the 2x4 to let the spring slide. Jump up and down on the front end to settle the springs and to give you an idea of the spring rate/stiffness. Unless you're going to run huge tires you'll want the springs to sit flat. That will give you the best ride and also avoids the tire moving way back and crunching your fender as the spring compresses. If the springs are arched than the tire will need to be a little forward in the wheel well and you'll need plenty of driveshaft travel.

Last edited:

Jeff Jamison

The hanger on the front looks like it brings the spring down close to 8 inches,thats a 4 inch lift there,plus when you moved the rear shackle back it caused atleast another inch,plus higher arched springs.Its going to sit pretty high.Also measure the rear before you weld in the shackle hangers,Iam almost positive you have the offset the wrong way(but my 75 is 25 miles awayand been there along time)

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
Thanks for the replies, Darrel and Jeff. I plan on 35's or maybe a little bigger. The springs are fairly flat, I think the angle of the pics make them looked more arched than they are. And the stretched WFO hanger will place the axle an inch or two forward of stock so tire clearance shouldn't be a problem when the shackle moves back. The WFO hanger is dropped 4.5" inches below the frame, the stock hangers are 1.5" below the frame, so that's why I figured 3" of lift. Also the shackle moved back seems like it lowers it about 3" too, I was trying to keep both distances the same. Looking at pics of BO185's travelette, it looks to me to be similar amount of lift. If someone with a lifted D series could measure how high their truck sits off the ground with 35" tires that would be helpful for comparison.
IMG_0349.JPG

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
IMG_0351.JPG
IMG_0352.JPG
The spring is pretty flat when compressed. I pulled the other spring off the travelall so now I'll really be able to mock it up and bounce on it. I'm thinking of removing the overload leaf and one leaf from the middle of the pack to soften the ride. I kinda think this will work and be awesome, we'll see:rockon: