BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project: Hereford (75 Travelette Build)

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
Hi Friends! Figured I'd start a new thread for my 75 Travelette 200 Custom, "Hereford". She's a 2x4, 392, 727. It's definitely a project!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This thing came up for sale about 10 mins from my house so naturally I had to go check it out. Then of course I bought it! I had a 73 Scout II waiting for its turn on jack stands, but a friend really wanted it so I sold it to him to justify buying Hereford. Then in another thread I found out I needed a 74-75 donor to convert Hereford to 4x4. In that same thread a fellow member offered me a 74 Travelall for parts for a great deal. So I drove up to Oregon and hauled it back of course. It came with a spare windshield and an extra, near perfect grille. Score!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Then the same friend who bought my 73 Scout found me a 78 Furd high-pinion, reverse cut, kingpin Dana 60 front axle. Now we're talking! So the plan is to take out the coil spring front end outta Hereford and bolt in the leaf spring hangers, and cross members from the Travelall 4x4. Then bolt in the D60 using 52" GM lift springs. And throw in a 14BFF rear with disk brake conversion and Detroit locker. Gears are 4.10's and I'm planning on 35" tires.
One problem I haven't figured out yet is the D60 is driver drop, so either I need to find a driver drop Tcase, or convert the T-all's NP205 to driver drop. At this point I'm just gathering parts and trying to figure out where I can park Hereford in the shade on blocks for a year or two.
I'll be making the interior halfway decent so the family isn't afraid to get in. The Travelall has a nice dash pad, center console, and other odds and ends that I'll be using. Should be fun! As always I welcome y'alls comments, questions, concerns, and encouragement! Cheers, Caz

'Mater

Binder Driver
Rock on !
great name for the big brown cow btw

I did a furd 60 in a Scout. I took the furd divorced np205 and crossmember together and bolted in the whole enchilada. it was pretty straightforward except for the shifter being in a horrible spot. had to buy a spendy cable operated twin stick setup.

just a crazy idea but what about leaving it 2wd? skinny front tires and 44 inch boggers and a Detroit locker in the rear. longhorn boss-hog horns on the hood. cow print velour interior and the Herford would be good to go!

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
I like that idea...but, I think 4x4's are more fun. Why is there no cow smilies?:cowboy::beer:

Tyler73IH

Farmall Cub
Just another option for you, you can get an AAM 10.5 from a newer Ch*vy 2500HD and it comes with factory disk brakes and a better E-brake set-up than the 14 bolt. It is basically an updated 14bolt. You do have to move the spring perches, which should be no problem for you from what I have seen on your builds. I put one in my 73 Travelette. Keep up the good work!

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
Thanks Tyler! Already have a 14 bolt I picked up for $200. Disk brake kits are cheap too, as well as lockers, that's why I like them.
image.jpeg
Thanks, J.J. :wrenching:
Trying to get a Furd driver drop, divorced 205 T-case, found 2 locally but the sellers don't seem too motivated to get rid of them. :taz:

Tyler73IH

Farmall Cub
That's a good buy and I agree, the 14 bolts are good. I just don't like the ebrake set up on the conversion kits as much. I was just lucky and got my AAM 10.5 for cheap. I do still need to get a locker for it, but I think they are available. That round of upgrades is in the future I hope. Keep up the good work, I will be watching this build to see what you do. I really like your "Clover" build.

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
Thanks, J.J. I'll try and use the sway bar that came with the D60 first, but if that doesn't work I'll give your fix a shot.:beer:

Decided I'm going to put Hereford in the garage for this build. Working on Clover in the summer heat and winter rain was frustrating to say the least. Not only that but I just spent the morning installing an AC unit in the garage!:banana: Nothing like shade, insulation, and air conditioning. Especially since I do farm work EARLY in the morn and get to work on my projects in the afternoon heat mostly. This is gonna be awesome! Now I just need to clear out the garage as much as possible. :cool2:

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
Hereford now resides in the garage. takes up a ton of room at 20.5' long but it'll be so much nicer working inside. Took some more pics to document what I'm starting with. The 392 was rebuilt about 15 years ago and bored out to 400, supposedly. It runs fairly well but I don't have too much faith, especially when the PO said it is governed so you can't over-rev it!:pinch: I think I'll drop the oil pan when I have the front end out of the way.
The stock rear-dump exhaust manifolds were cracked and replaced with headers. It also has a nice custom, 2 piece fan shroud. It had AC and dual batteries from the factory. Someone installed a 12si alternator and no doubt screwed up the wiring. That could be why none of the gauges work. Also the gold box was abandoned and the distributed changed to points with no ballast resistor.:nono:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

The wiring is completely hacked. To start the motor you turn the key all the way on, flip a switch under the dash for electric fuel pump, then shove a cigarette lighter plug into the dash for a second to engage the starter. Cool huh? WTF?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

All in all, I think I can work with this. I'm pretty excited, actually.:beer:

Darrel

Lives in an IH Dealership
The wiring is completely hacked. To start the motor you turn the key all the way on, flip a switch under the dash for electric fuel pump, then shove a cigarette lighter plug into the dash for a second to engage the starter. Cool huh? WTF?
Sweet anti-theft system. :cowboy:

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
No progress on Hereford yet as I've been re-wiring Clover. But I did pick a Furd divorced NP205 transfer case. I'll rebuild it at some point this summer.
image.jpeg

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
image.jpeg
I want your secret to time travel! Good work getting things accomplished already BEFORE tomorrow!LOL

Thanks, i think?:innocent:

Hereford didn't work out in the garage, it was too clastrophobic! Knowing that, I wasn't eager to start tearing her apart. So today I started her up and drove out of the garage and into the carport, where at least there's shade and protection from rain, plus better lighting. Then I took off the grille, bumper, valence, shroud, and radiator. Figured the more room I have to work, the better. Still debating on removing the core support and the engine. Probably should go for it while I'm at it. :wrenching: Starting to realize this is going to be a long term, major project!:drown:

Last edited:

Jeff Jamison

Looks like someone did a front engine mount convertion(or started one) but I see it still had the side mounts still inplace also_On the factory 4x4 in 74 and 75 there was a crossmember that looped down under the engine.

CazNeck79

High Wheeler
Interesting, I thought the front engine mount was factory. I think I'm gonna try and keep the front mount, and use the side mounts off of the 4x4 travelall. First I've got to drop the oil pan and see if this engine needs to come out.

Jeff Jamison

It is a factory mount minus the spacers between the rubber and the cast engine mount,just not for your truck.Its from a 73 or earlier,you can see they added plates to the ends of the crossmember,this would have sit farther ahead and bolted to the frame(2 short pieces that go from frame side rails to the front crossmember.I just wrote all this and its probably the same as your other truck.