BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project Fully Involved - 1969 IH 1300D Foundry Pump Truck

mjmck

Farmall Cub
A little progress done today.

Some chiseling and soaking of connection points:
20191114_053530.jpg

Just some documentation of steering components:
20191114_061035.jpg

New rubber required on both sides:
20191114_055247.jpg

Spotted a little more rust:
20191114_054054.jpg

Backing plate and spindle removed:
20191114_061020.jpg

Begin jackhammering:
20191114_062232.jpg

stroker3

Lives in an IH Dealership
Just an observation. Noticed where you placed the tires under the truck. Unsure if it is planned or just a matter of convenience but jack stands or not, that's the best place for them. It's not perfect but they make a nice backup just in case something goes wrong. Getting older and becoming more wimpy with things. Years ago a t'all slowly rolled sideways off a stand when I got too aggressive with it and it caught my leg under the spindle. Luckily the frame rail hit a small craftsman steel toolbox that I had slid under the truck to get it out of my way and it kept the full weight of the truck off my leg. Hurt like hell just the same being pinned under it. Since then I'll even toss a few blocks on the tires if I have to crawl under for anything , even a runaway socket/nut/bolt ....just in case...:laugh:.....but I know that's just :wheelchair: issues. Thoughts of everything that 'could' or 'might' happen that comes with old age kicks in more than I like to admit now.....

patrick r

Binder Driver
Since you have all the necessities for blasting I think it would be worth trying at least. You would end up with perfectly clean metal ready for paint, just blow all of the sand/dust off and don’t handle with bare hands. I have no idea how much sand it would take. Do clean the moist stuff off as the heat generated can force it into the metal and don’t blast anything that you wouldn’t be able to get the sand out, like an assembled axle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjmck

Farmall Cub
Just an observation. Noticed where you placed the tires under the truck. Unsure if it is planned or just a matter of convenience but jack stands or not, that's the best place for them. It's not perfect but they make a nice backup just in case something goes wrong. Getting older and becoming more wimpy with things. Years ago a t'all slowly rolled sideways off a stand when I got too aggressive with it and it caught my leg under the spindle. Luckily the frame rail hit a small craftsman steel toolbox that I had slid under the truck to get it out of my way and it kept the full weight of the truck off my leg. Hurt like hell just the same being pinned under it. Since then I'll even toss a few blocks on the tires if I have to crawl under for anything , even a runaway socket/nut/bolt ....just in case...:laugh:.....but I know that's just :wheelchair: issues. Thoughts of everything that 'could' or 'might' happen that comes with old age kicks in more than I like to admit now.....

Good eye, placing items beneath the frame and/or running gear is a pet-peeve of mine due to a very similar "accident" that happened to me nearly 10 years ago now.

Story Time: I just got done with my last class of the day (on a Thursday afternoon) and was packing my suit cases at my fathers house to head down to Outer-banks (where my at the time girlfriend of 2 months, now my wife) was for a week of vacation. My brother had transmission troubles with his full size 1992 Chevrolet Blazer and had the truck up on blocks underneath the wheels in an effort to facilitate removal. He just started and was having issues with separation of the u-joint from the pinion yoke of the rear axle. He came over and asked for help, I crawled under and everything was severely rusted, so I assumed the joint was fused in the yoke. Grabbed a pry bar, inserted and pried the joint form the yoke. As soon as the driveshaft popped out in my hands the truck began to move. At this time I was the only one beneath the truck. I quickly threw the driveshaft away from me as the truck began to roll right off the blocks and ended up coming down on me. The cross-member broke my pelvis symmetrically with 4-cracks as well as bruised several innards requiring a catheter for 3 months. After a ride in the meat wagon and luckily being so young I was back home after 3 days in the hospital. No surgery or nothing, my muscles and guts were holding my cracked butt together. I was a couch potato for 2 months with very limited physical therapy and my girlfriend of 2-months (again now wife) took care of me (after she flew home from NC 2 days after the accident). She actually lost her job during this time taking care of me as her work did not recognize me as a "significant" other. I began moving around and was out of work for a total of 6 months. I then returned to work on light duty until 9 months where I was fully recovered. You wouldn't believe how much credit cards run up when your out of work/school. I bet I accrued $3k in debt during this and received about $1k in disability AFTER I returned to work.

Following this accident my brother was traumatized. He sold the truck with a blown trans and bought another beater. Till this day our relationship has been a bit different (and ill admit I might have told him I would kill him when the catheter came into play) but now we rarely even talk (just have much different lives now). Hindsight I really should have checked his work prior to me just getting under there. If it wasn't me under there it would have been him. Honestly should have been pinned, I got lucky it rolled and didn't come straight down on me. The reasoning the truck rolled was because my dads garage was not perfectly flat, and my brother never choked the wheels on the blocks. Lesson learned, when an automatic vehicles driveshaft is removed, it is no longer in PARK!

Under the IH are 2 jack stands, a jack as backup and the tires as my 3rd fail-safe.

mjmck

Farmall Cub
Since you have all the necessities for blasting I think it would be worth trying at least. You would end up with perfectly clean metal ready for paint, just blow all of the sand/dust off and don’t handle with bare hands. I have no idea how much sand it would take. Do clean the moist stuff off as the heat generated can force it into the metal and don’t blast anything that you wouldn’t be able to get the sand out, like an assembled axle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We just ordered a new seal for the blaster. Will get a pic of the old pot later today. Might end up using it for some stuff.

mjmck

Farmall Cub
Got a tiny bit done first thing today.

Removing the cotter-pin tiny chunk-by-chunk as it was seized in the orifice:
20191115_060625.jpg

Tie rod assembly removed and orientation noted:
20191115_061240.jpg

Boot is shot:
20191115_061534.jpg

Removal of remaining castle nut for steering:
20191115_062822.jpg

Bound the steering up so everything can go back right in the same place:
20191115_062226.jpg

Gringo Gomez

Farmall Cub
I've been following with great interest. Good write-up.
Story Time:
That is one harrowing story and miraculous recovery!
I've always had a healthy fear of such accidents from hearing those stories when I was a kid.
Often it takes me more time to lift, set and lower a vehicle than it does to accomplish the work I have planned.

So I have a Dana 44 I want to replace the u-joints in. I'm wondering if you were able to pull the axles out without pulling the king pins and dropping the knuckles. Thanks.
Keep up the good work.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler
I've been following with great interest. Good write-up.

That is one harrowing story and miraculous recovery!
I've always had a healthy fear of such accidents from hearing those stories when I was a kid.
Often it takes me more time to lift, set and lower a vehicle than it does to accomplish the work I have planned.

So I have a Dana 44 I want to replace the u-joints in. I'm wondering if you were able to pull the axles out without pulling the king pins and dropping the knuckles. Thanks.
Keep up the good work.

The front axle shafts can be removed without removal of the knuckle-- you just need to remove the brake assembly & the spindle.

Gringo Gomez

Farmall Cub
Thanks guys, that'll make the job easier since I've already replaced the knuckle seals & reset the preload when I rebuilt the steering.

Alex

Farmall Cub
Regarding parts cleaning, I have been in construction and around equipment for a lot of years.
Steam is far and away the best method of degreasing.
Solvent is #2.
Mechanical (hand scraping) is #3
Abrasive blasting is somewhere below those.
If you can get access to a steam Jenny, that would really be the way to go.

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler

Back when we were young & really dumb, a buddy and I put the tranny in his Nissan pickup with just a Hi-Lift supporting it from the rear of the flat bed he had on it. Almost as dumb was the fact that we left out the throwout bearing & didn't notice it until we got it all buttoned up & "ready" to go.

mjmck

Farmall Cub
We are getting new seals for the sand blaster pot. Plan is to do a combination of sand blasting and Hotsy cleaning.

Really think I'm gonna convert all running gear to black. Just too much red for me.

stroker3

Lives in an IH Dealership
Have seen some larger 4x4 snow/fire rigs that look good with the undercarriage/frame the same color but I don't think that's something that carries over to the smaller trucks very well. When you do that it requires a ton of time and effort keeping it clean and looking good underneath.
Pretty sure it'll look better in black. Black hides things. It'll take a lot less work to keep it looking nice.

mjmck

Farmall Cub
Had a little progress today.

After leaving this joint soaked for a few days 2-pops and it came loose:
20191118_054519.jpg

The knuckle seal plate bolts were coming out a little tougher on this side compared to what I remember of the passenger side. A closer look and some of the threads seem stripped. Will have to make sure I chase them good and maybe get some new bolts upon re-assembly. I made note of it on my little baggy of hardware:
20191118_060120.jpg

Bolts and backing plates removed looking at the felt wiper assembly:
20191118_061309.jpg

Pulled the axle shaft out. Of course I jinxed myself saying earlier that the shaft slides right out with the knuckle on (which it should). However, this was was a bit tougher. Needed to clock it a few times to find the sweet spot where it clearance-d out of the knuckle. Also the bronze bushing came out with this side:
20191118_062754.jpg

There is some light at the end of this front axle re-fresh....:
20191118_062804.jpg

Parts are stacking up for cleaning and repainting:
20191118_063546.jpg

As it sits:
20191118_063529.jpg

mjmck

Farmall Cub
More done.
Cleaning up the ball on the drivers side, look close. Found some black paint under the red there!:
20191122_060931.jpg

20191122_060938.jpg

Getting the arm off the knuckle:
20191122_061948.jpg

20191122_062251.jpg

20191122_062631.jpg