BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project Fully Involved - 1969 IH 1300D Foundry Pump Truck

mjmck

Farmall Cub
Notice in the pictures that the underside of this truck has been painted red (peeling badly now). Is this factory? Or did the outfitter do that being a fire truck? Could also pass as IH red though. Reason I asked is I will be doing some minor painting when parts go back onto the truck and am trying to decide what the "correct" color is.

patrick r

Binder Driver
Notice in the pictures that the underside of this truck has been painted red (peeling badly now). Is this factory? Or did the outfitter do that being a fire truck? Could also pass as IH red though. Reason I asked is I will be doing some minor painting when parts go back onto the truck and am trying to decide what the "correct" color is.

I don’t know the answer but thought it was a little odd that the driveline parts were red. Is there black paint under the red where its peeling?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjmck

Farmall Cub
I don’t know the answer but thought it was a little odd that the driveline parts were red. Is there black paint under the red where its peeling?

Did some further inspections with a flashlight and this truck was at one point undercoated. The red paint is beneath the black undercoating, and where there is no red paint the frame is rust colored. Wondering if I should switch my mentality and keep everything red? Sounds like an oddity the way it is all red. I guess nothing screams more IH. I just got the drums painted with high temp but unfortunately it is flat black (I thought it was satin).

stroker3

Lives in an IH Dealership
Can't be 100% sure but the red underneath looks like some P/O add on. It looks too sloppy to be done as some sort of package. The shock is half covered with spray. So is the flap. The hub was done half assed as well. IMHO just go with black on the underside.

index.php

patrick r

Binder Driver
Well its surely been red underneath its entire life . Either done by IH or the outfitter. It does make it look unique. Checking into the outfitter may yield some info. It could have been unique to them.
I have found that Rustoleum IH red tractor paint is a pretty good match.
Your drive flanges have been off before but I didn’t notice any signs of a chisel being used on the big nut in there. That is the most common way people get them off. Including me until last year when I got the proper socket. Worth it!

mjmck

Farmall Cub
Can't be 100% sure but the red underneath looks like some P/O add on. It looks too sloppy to be done as some sort of package. The shock is half covered with spray. So is the flap. The hub was done half assed as well. IMHO just go with black on the underside.

index.php
I would prefer it black personally.
Well its surely been red underneath its entire life . Either done by IH or the outfitter. It does make it look unique. Checking into the outfitter may yield some info. It could have been unique to them.
I have found that Rustoleum IH red tractor paint is a pretty good match.
Your drive flanges have been off before but I didn’t notice any signs of a chisel being used on the big nut in there. That is the most common way people get them off. Including me until last year when I got the proper socket. Worth it!

What size socket is it! I managed the outside nut with a 2-7/16, but from what I see online it may be 2-9/16?

I cant get the inner nut loose and am avoiding malling with chisels.

patrick r

Binder Driver
For mine it needed a 2.5” six point. I got one from amazon. You’ll need to measure yours to be sure it’s the same size.

Obviously paint it how you want it to be. Black will look more traditional. That’s why I asked if it looked like there was black under the red. If there was anyone could have done the red. If not it would suggest that it was done by IH.

mjmck

Farmall Cub
TY.
I think I prefer black under carriage but I would keep it red if I could confirm it factory. I'm not gonna do much painting quite yet so I have some time to decide. The 2.5 I have is an impact and doesn't fit in the snout of the spindle.

patrick r

Binder Driver
I looked back at the partial LST you have. At the bottom is a reference “Must be 2150 Red” with a code under it. BinderBookie may be able to decipher that code. Also noted that there was factory undercoating applied.

mjmck

Farmall Cub
Stepped away from the project for a night and re-attacked this morning. Did some spit-balling and found an impact socket 2-3/8 that just bit on the corners of the inner nut with enough depth to fit the axleshaft.

Another coat to the drums (paint is partially drying in the pictures):
20191107_055701.jpg

Stack of fasteners in order of operations:
20191107_063537.jpg

Removed spindles:
20191107_063557.jpg

20191107_063550.jpg

Additional photos of brake components (I assume the next step is brake component removal and then backing plate removal. What comes after that, steering & kingpin removals?):
20191107_062149.jpg

20191107_063655.jpg

Another close up of the frame showing overspray, reds and undercoating a little better:
20191107_063801.jpg

Last edited:

patrick r

Binder Driver
Nice progress.
Be sure to get plenty of pics of the brake assembly for future reassembly.
Yes, brake parts then backing plate, then spindle (you removed the hubs) then the knuckle. That’s where it starts getting messy.
I looked quickly at brake parts for this on Rock Auto and wheel cylinders weren’t a bad on price.
Id still bet it was red underneath from the factory. Check in areas that would be hard or impossible to paint after final assembly, top of the frame etc. Anything was possible from IH.

mjmck

Farmall Cub
Nice progress.
Be sure to get plenty of pics of the brake assembly for future reassembly.
Yes, brake parts then backing plate, then spindle (you removed the hubs) then the knuckle. That’s where it starts getting messy.
I looked quickly at brake parts for this on Rock Auto and wheel cylinders weren’t a bad on price.
Id still bet it was red underneath from the factory. Check in areas that would be hard or impossible to paint after final assembly, top of the frame etc. Anything was possible from IH.

Thank you!

You aren't kiddin' on the pictures. I am trying to maximize angles and capturing what I hope I might need later. I got lucky on the second one:
20191107_090454.jpg

20191107_090330.jpg

I'm glad the parts are cheap, I am on a bit of limited "toy" income till after the first of the year. You know how it is with the Holidays coming and the outrageous gift buying thing that happens. I plan to order the parts manual in a couple weeks so I can cross reference numbers. It looks like the one front wheel cylinder was replaced at some point and has a cast number in it. Next time I get under there with the creeper I will try and find some precarious areas and see if I can chip anything off. Next time I am at Tractor Supply I will grab some IH Red Rustoleum paint. I may still keep the spindles red even if i decide to keep the underside black (I think it will look neat with black steelies).

mjmck

Farmall Cub
Pulled the rear seals with the self tapper screw trick. Was still tough as these are stout! Got the bearings cleaned up as well as the interior of the hub.
20191107_121632.jpg

Kurt_M

Farmall Cub
In the PL-382 price list I have for 1972 they would paint the frame and running gear any color for $12.50, so I am betting the 2150 IH red on the frame was done at the factory. Local fire dept here has a 1964 R190 and the frame and running gear is painted red on it too.

patrick r

Binder Driver
In the PL-382 price list I have for 1972 they would paint the frame and running gear any color for $12.50, so I am betting the 2150 IH red on the frame was done at the factory. Local fire dept here has a 1964 R190 and the frame and running gear is painted red on it too.

That’s interesting. Does it happen to include the code for that?

mjmck

Farmall Cub
Interesting. Do you happen to know if that truck was outfitted at Thibault?

mjmck

Farmall Cub
Got the backing plate and spindle off. Was a little surprised to find grease in there. Searching on line this seems to be the norm for closed knuckles.
20191108_062747.jpg

20191108_062755.jpg

Last edited:

stroker3

Lives in an IH Dealership
At the bottom is a reference “Must be 2150 Red” with a code under it.
The code under that is almost the same on my 71 1310 4x4. Same color but not built to be a fire rig. The LST lacks the words must be. This truck has no signs of any red paint on the underside. 2150 Red 487215C.
Unsure if it's simply a year related thing or another meaning to the last letter but his 1970 lists the code under as 4872150. If anyone know what the O or C means, it may or may not help find the answer

EDIT: Looking at the last letter in big view on screen, mine could a "O" as well that just didn't print well???
153587-f68225aedcfd4ef9c20c55692b26d3f6.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN1304.JPG
    DSCN1304.JPG
    476.9 KB · Views: 45

patrick r

Binder Driver
Looks like the other “C”s and not like the “O”s.
Maybe C=Cab. O=Overall