BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Project freebie!

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

Justutt67

Farmall Cub
Was the Lizard Skin the sound deadening or heat insulation, or both?
It was the sound control formula not insulating. Although I have heard it has a little insulating properties but not sure on that. I plan on stuffing some insulating pads between the headliner and roof before I re install anyways.

Justutt67

Farmall Cub
So I got the axles back from the axle guy. Got them reinstalled and put the front one back together. Ford hub and rotor for the 5 bolt pattern. Packed all new Timken bearings new seals and new brake pads. Also installed the extended brake line kit. Only issue I had was that it seemed like the inner warn locking hub bottomed out on the wheel hub splines too early so it was real tight trying to get the large retainer ring set into the groove. Also not sure if the internal style locking hubs are supposed to sit flush with the wheel hub lip. Mine has about a 1/16" gap. See the photo and let me know if this is normal or if the locking hub is sticking out too far.
1980 scout 220.JPG

1980 scout 221.JPG

Last edited:

Justutt67

Farmall Cub
Well I finally got the top done and painted. I removed the factory roof rack and welded up the holes. i may build a roof cage for it in the future that attaches to the gutter. I decided to break up the blue paint a little so I painted the sides and lift gate satin black. I think it looks good and will look better with the black wheels I plan to use. I also removed the door glass from the metal frame as well as the wing window glass from its frame and with be taking them to a powder coater this week to have them done in a satin black. I'm not a big fan of chrome so there will be none on Freebie.

1980 scout 222.JPG

1980 scout 223.JPG

1980 scout 224.JPG

1980 scout 225.JPG

1980 scout 226.JPG

Last edited:

Justutt67

Farmall Cub
I also finished up the wiring with the kwikwire 14 circuit kit from IH parts America this week. Took me a while to do this but everything is working as it should so I must have done something right! For anyone who is going to re wire their Scout I will tell you Just take your time and try to think ahead. Make sure you run a ground to the back along with the dome light positive wire our you wont be able to turn it on with the headlight dimmer knob as the dome and courtesy lights are switched from the negative side of the circuit. Also the kwik wire kit comes with the positive side of the circuits only you must run all grounds in the system. On a few circuits I totally cheated! The kit has a positive for the heater circuit and wiper circuit, and dome courtesy light circuit but no wires for the high/low for the heater fan or high/low for the wiper motor or washer pump. Since these circuits were untouched and in good shape on my old factory harness i carefully removed the entire stock circuit for each of these all the way back to the old fuse block and simply attached the kwikwire power wire to them and they all worked flawlessly.

I wanted updated gauges so I purchased a set of Dakota Digital VHX series universal gauges. This is a six gauge set speedo, tach, fuel, volts, oil, and coolant temp. These were not cheap but totally worth the money IMO. Everything for the gauges is wired into one distribution center and one wire connects from the distrubution center to the back of the speedo and all other gauges simply connect to the speedo also. I chose these cause the turn signal, high beam, 4x4, and check engine light are all integrated into the gauges. Even has a wait to start light if you have a diesel. Also this system works with pretty much any fuel sender you may have and the speedo is electronic and programable. No need for speedo cable! It also sends the proper pulse signal the my fuel inj ECM. I made my own dash plate similar to the one that Anything Scout sells but mine is steel not aluminum (I would have just bought one but dash plates seem the be out of stock at all vendors for some reason). This will all be painted black prior to final install.
1980 scout 227.JPG

1980 scout 228.JPG

1980 scout 229.JPG

Last edited:

Darrel

Lives in an IH Dealership
So I got the axles back from the axle guy. Got them reinstalled and put the front one back together. Ford hub and rotor for the 5 bolt pattern. Packed all new Timken bearings new seals and new brake pads. Also installed the extended brake line kit. Only issue I had was that it seemed like the inner warn locking hub bottomed out on the wheel hub splines too early so it was real tight trying to get the large retainer ring set into the groove. Also not sure if the internal style locking hubs are supposed to sit flush with the wheel hub lip. Mine has about a 1/16" gap. See the photo and let me know if this is normal or if the locking hub is sticking out too far.

I've never had that gap, but it should still function and seal ok. Scout looks amazing. :thumbs up:

Justutt67

Farmall Cub
Thanks Randy and Darrel I appreciate the compliments. I am getting so itchy to drive this thing but still so much to do. I am waiting on power steering pressure hoses and then I should be able to fill the hydroboost/ power steering system. Then I need engine oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid and bleed system, transfer case fluid, differential fluid, and fuel and I should be able to fire it up. It will be loud though as I still need a full exhaust system. I was hoping to get the the Rocky Mountain IH Rendezvous but don't think it will be ready. My goal is to drop my kids off in this beast for the first day of the next school year in August! Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Justutt67

Farmall Cub
Well I couldn't resist. I drove my Scout for the first time in 4 years today. I buttoned up all the brakes system, power steering system, and cooling system and put all fluids into freebie. Took the distributor out and primed the engine oil threw some fuel into the tank and fired it up. Didn't fire right away though and took some investigating to figure out why. I had used the Kwikwire electric fuel pump wire to energize the TBI relay and found out this wire isn't energized during engine cranking so I had no injector pulse. Wired it to a wire energized during cranking and it fired right up. Woohoo! Runs great but loud with no exhaust system yet. I drop the seats off on July 10th to get reupholstered so need to raptor line the inside before I get them back.

Not everything works like I had hoped unfortunately. My fuel pump keeps losing its prime and I thinks it's cause the bottom of the tank is lower than the frame mounted pump. Bummer! I need to either put the original tank back in or convert the tank I made to an in-tank pump. I have since put all the glass back in except for the door glass and with only 4" to go cracked my windshield. Also a bummer. I am on pace to drop my kids off on their first day of school next year. I also need to get tires and wheels going.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Justutt67

Farmall Cub
Wow! Just got owned by photobucket. Looks like all the pics I have posted are now hidden unless I pay $400 per year for 3rd party posting to forums such as this. Bummer! What method is everyone else using to post pics? I'm not gonna pay $400 for this. (EDIT FIXED ALL MY PHOTOS BY UPLOADING THEM TO THIS SITE DIRECTLY)

Last edited:

Randy Z.

Binder Driver
I just load them up here. Use the "upload a file" option down there to the right when you are posting.

Jeff Bade

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Wow! Just got owned by photobucket. Looks like all the pics I have posted are now hidden unless I pay $400 per year for 3rd party posting to forums such as this. Bummer! What method is everyone else using to post pics? I'm not gonna pay $400 for this.

We have both the build in upload function, a member area to build your own photobook and software called photopost all free and unlimited for all our members.
Let us know if you have any problems..

Justutt67

Farmall Cub
Project Freebie got new shoes today! I chose Mickey Thompson classic III's in black. 17x9 with 4.5" back spacing for wheels and Toyo Open Country 285/70/17's (33x11) for tires. With 17's the wheels have plenty of space at the tie rod ends and it still turns plenty sharp if anyone is wondering about the back spacing.
IMG_0735.JPG

IMG_0734.JPG

IMG_0733.JPG

Last edited:

Justutt67

Farmall Cub
Thanks Randy. The stance turned out exactly how I had hoped. I had 33x12.50 tires on my yellow scout and wanted a slightly skinnier tire for this one. They stick out past the body slightly but not too bad. I also realized after I posted how silly the pic looks. I have some 2x4's between the top and body and you can see masking paper inside the Windows cause I was spraying the inner bedsides and tranny tunnel with more lizard skin sound deadener. I still need to spray the raptor liner on bed floor, tailgate, and passenger and driver floors.

MtnScout

Farmall Cub
What's weird is I have Photobucket as well but pay $30/yr and it seems all my photos are appearing online. I only pay to have the extra space so I'm curious why people would be charged $400 vs what I'm paying.