BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

project Blue Rhinoceros

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
I got my main workbench framed out yesterday and going to work on it a little today also plan to install the grill on the Scout today and get it to where I can install the hood to keep it good and dry this winter. I keep it covered now but I want it to have a hood, once I get it running I can move it in my building to work on it in the dry. more to come

Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
Got my big workbench frame built yesterday and the smaller section done today I have one more small one then the tops will be ready to go on. I also got to work on the Scout today I installed the header panel with the hood hinges so I can put the hood on. Also ran the trans cooler lines behind the grille that go to the metal lines. And some odd and ends, I cleaned some parts that were dusty so they would be good and clean to reinstall. Then I went and hunted down some parts I had in the shed boxed up for the Scout. More to come

AD

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
I got my workbench tops on and allot of parts put up, I got some more Scout parts and got the hood on yesterday. I took measurements of the hose I need so I can go and pick it up this week. I also added more lighting to the building so I can see, it helped allot, I still need to add some more eventually. I ran into another issue I was afraid of though I put the hood on even had outlined the hinges with a sharpie and had marks for the bolt heads and got it right back where it showed to be and of coarse it won't open back up now with the latch so I get to fight that thing. I knowed shutting that was a bad idea, anyone got any pointers? more to come

Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
Here's a pic with the hood on:

DSC_1437.JPG
DSC_1435.JPG

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
Well after scouring parts stores today i finally scored a lower hose like I was looking for, went to the shamrock bolt and screw and got my new thermostat housing stainless allen bolts to replace the metric ones they sent me. Also picked up a new locking mechanism for the door on my building so I can lock it up. I have a small problem still though I haven't got the hood open yet so I can try the hose so hopefully tomorrow I can finally get it open to see if the hose works. I am ready to see this thing run! Then start on to body work this spring or maybe some over the winter inside my other building where it will be warm and dry.

AD

Last edited:

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
Almost forgot I also got some more audio equipment for the Scout today. My SIL was cleaning out the garage and gave me 4 4x6 speakers, two amplified mid plates, tweeters and 5.25 mid bass some were like new and some were new in the box so that was a big surprise I already had most of the other stuff so that finished up everything except my subs and i have a few but will probably pick up some new ones. Man this never gets old I have got bored with other vehicles while working on them but the Scout has always been fun. It's like therapy. LOL I do enjoy it allot. more to come

AD

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
Good news I got the hood open and lubed it up good so now it works great. I checked the hose and of coarse it went on but was too long. But i found a shorter one that I ordered and it is supposed to be here in the morning. I installed the new allen bolts in the thermostat housing and attached a wire to the hood latch with a loop and ran it down by the trans just in case. Anyway I finally found a chart with hose sizes and length for universal hoses with part numbers. So I saved it for future reference to take with me to the parts store because they only know year,make and model. When you tell them it never existed it's a hybrid they get a funny look on their face and say help yourself look around all you want. Fun having free rein behind the counter just looking and seeing things you didn't know they even had in stock. Anyway I had some very nice people at more than one store really try to help me out to find the hoses. More to come

AD

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
Well I picked up the new radiator hose today and wouldn't you know they sent the wrong one but it was the right diameter but a little longer than I ordered but I took it anyway to see if it might work. But I wimped out it was so cold from the rain last night and the wind today I was chilled to the bone. I decided since it was supposed to be sunny and 62 tomorrow I would work on it then. more to come

AD

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
I got some of my metal trim on my building today and put that new hose on the lower radiator return. They ordered the wrong hose and it was 1 1/2 inches longer but it fit it was just a little long which made it bulge just a little at the end of the radiator port but I think it will be fine. I was afraid to take it back and get the shorter one I was afraid it would be too short. I could trim a 1/4-1/2 inch off the end and it would probably be perfect but not sure if I will do that or not. Here are a couple pics:
DSC_1497.JPG
DSC_1493.JPG

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
I worked on my building this morning put some trim around the gable on the back. Kinda one of them balancing on one foot acts literally. Got that done worked a little on the electrical in there gathering supplies. After lunch I pulled the rest of the plugs on the old hot rod that was a booger. That A/C housing and headers made for some fun and on the drivers side the a/c compressor, the A arms, steering gear and headers made that side a challenge but I finally got them out and some Trans fluid pumped into the cylinders. I am going to try and drop the pan tomorrow on the Scout's transmission and install the new filter and gasket so the new trans fluid can go in. May also do some more metal work on the building I have just a little more trim work to do and the outside is done. Still have to go get my transfer case fluid and a pump this weekend or Monday. more to come

Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
Yeah J.J. I'm still plugging along as much as possible got to much going on at the same time. But i'll get there eventually, I cracked the pan open yesterday and had my drain pan ready and good thing it was pouring out so I let it drain overnight and then of course it was raining when I got up this morning and cold and windy all day. So I been phone shopping I just bought a new one in July and my phone provider decided that I didn't have the right phone so they told me in August I had to have a new phone before Jan. 1st or get turned off the network of course I can't find anything close to that price or I would change companies so I bought a new phone that will work not from them of course. So I been doing that this weekend while I wasn't outside. I also got some lights set up better in my building so i can get that finished up. more to come

AD

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
Well I wimped out again yesterday it was cold and windy so I went into my building and built more shelves to put parts on. So hopefully I can get a warm spell around 50 so I can finish the trans filter change. It was low 20's this morning so I'll give it a minute. We have snow in the forecast later this week but I don't expect much of anything. more to come

AD

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
I finally got back on it this afternoon and got the filter changed out and everything cleaned up and put back together. One outside bolt gave me trouble it wouldn't tighten like it is stripped out which it is. I think it was that way when I took it out I might be able to put an oversize bolt in it or a nut on top if there is room it may not leak anyway with the others all holding we will see. Here's a couple of picks and oh yeah I found my first pentastar on the Scout today inside the trans I was in shock for a few minutes but I got over it. LOL
I also noticed how lucky I was on this body comparing it to some others I have seen, it is still plenty solid with very little to fix when i work on the body work I have to mainly just replace the lip by the passenger door that rusted from the weather strip leaking before I got it and rusted this lip away. more to come
AD

DSC_1517.JPG
DSC_1519.JPG
DSC_1514.JPG

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
I had a friend that runs a transmission shop rebuild this one about a year before I quit driving it everyday so it should be ready to roll. I found a little metal in the filter but not much but that was the first filter change since the rebuild so I figured there would be some in there.
AD

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
The weather can really not be your friend! I was outside for most of the afternoon, and frost was forming when I came in for dinner at 6 with a big moon rising!

Ive found the Chrylser logo on different things on my rigs, the fuel senders for one. On my '76 Terra with the factory SD33, the valve cover says Nissan, the lift pump says Chrysler and its in a Scout. HAHA, whatever it all works just fine.

Those rockers look pretty darn nice Dave! There shouldn't be too much rust repair for you.

JJ in TN

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
Yeah J.J. I'm lucky on the rust it is minimal and it was undercoated most of it's life apparently. I went into town today and picked up my transfer case fluid so I can get on that soon. Then this afternoon the rain started again so just a soggy afternoon and still raining now. Here is a pic of what I bought incase anyone else is looking for some. It is 65-201 from Napa. Of course I got the old look at the parts store when I didn't find it on the shelf where they say they don't have it or carry it, so I broke out the phone with a pic and part number and the computer said they had 4 gallons so they searched the back and finally found some thank goodness.
AD

DSC_1523.JPG

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
Worked in the building today moving in some parts on the new shelves, moved some shelving around, washed up some parts bins for my bolt/screw rack, straightened up my tools where i had been working on the bench and just a few odds and ends. It's supposed to come up from 30 to 61 tomorrow so hopefully I can put the oil in the transfer case. More to come'

AD

Arkansas Dave

High Wheeler
Nice afternoon today it was 26 this morning but around 59 now so i have been filling up the transfer case. I thought i had a couple pumps that would work but decided not to use them due to one having kerosene in it and the other brake fluid but I thought I might have something so I went looking. And bingo i found something I forgot I had a on/off gear oil hose. And it worked like a charm.

AD
View attachment 183244
DSC_1583.JPG
DSC_1577.JPG