project Blue Rhinoceros

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Arkansas Dave, May 11, 2012.

1. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

I went through parts today and sorted through everything, put up allot of tools I was finished with and consolidated parts into less boxes. I found a radiator I am going into town tomorrow to order it at the parts store. I also found some fans online I am going to order. more to come

AD

2. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

getting organized is always a great thing! I thought of you the other day when I was using my Sears Tap and Die set from the 50s that I got in an antique mall for $15.

JJ in TN

3. Arkansas Dave

J.J. That's a good set you got there I actually made a run to the antique mall this weekend and picked up a few more gems. And the radiator fell through they couldn't get it so couldn't find it anywhere so I picked a different brand and determined it would be tight so I decided on the Eastwood triple flow 26 inch my supports are about 27 max and the old radiator is 26 5/8 so the 26 should fit fine. So i'm Trans cooler shopping tonight and electric fan shopping. I got my other truck running good today and can't wait on the Scout parts to get here. I was having withdrawls after I couldn't get on the BP the last day or so anyway i'm plugging away at it hopefully be running soon. more to come

AD

4. Arkansas Dave

I got the parts ordered, I ordered a Eastwood Maxx power tri-flow 26 inch radiator, a Hayden 11x9.5 x 3/4 trans cooler and a set of 10 inch Hayden cooling fans for the radiator. I'm as excited as I used to be at Christmas as a kid I like getting parts especially when they will get my Scout moving under it's own power. more to come

AD

J.J. likes this.
  5. J.J.

you should call yours the Mail Order Scout HAHAHA

JJ in TN

6. Arkansas Dave

LOL yep that's right I have ordered allot of parts I just keep finding such good deals I could'nt resist! And I can have it delivered to my house about as fast as the parts store can get it. The more I go to some of the parts stores the more I bang my head on the wall. One of them insisted that they didn't have any preformed radiator hoses but he would show me the flex hose for 45 dollars a foot well we walked past 500 preformed hoses going to it so I asked him why he said he didn't have any and he said oh I didn't know what those were. Then I went in for a couple feet of fuel line and it was going to be 50 bucks so I just left and went up the street and they sold me the good high pressure fuel injection hose made in USA for 2 bucks a foot. No kidding 70 percent of my parts did really come through the mail by the UPS man LOL.
    Now I'm waiting on him to bring some more. Getting excited

AD

7. J.J.

and that is one reason why I got a jobbers account at O Reilly, I can order what I want and pick it up on a jobbers discount. If its wrong, then its on me. You gotta love a good deal though, my wife turned me on to retailmenot, it has saved me many $$$ ! I always for example go there when I order Rock Auto, they always have the newest code.

JJ in TN

8. Arkansas Dave

Yeah I order allot of stuff through Advance online and pick up at the store and if not in stock it's there the next morning free. And if you look you can find the 25 percent off codes online. Thanks for the info about retailmenot I have used one similar before not sure if I have used that one I have heard of it. I will definitely check it out. Yeah speaking of good deals I ordered two Hayden fans and then seen them on another site I use for 60 bucks apiece and I paid half that for both of them with the same part number so basically I paid 75% less for them on the site I ordered from I was smiling ear to ear when I seen that. I also got my truck lined out today and drove it under it's own power from the pole barn to the house today for the first time in longer than I had thought but it is running well now. I just need to get tires, tags and insurance on it and it can be another driver. And the boss says we will go get the car soon from Dad's garage I stored it there 19 years ago I can't believe it's been that long just guess you lose track of time. I am going to get it and bring it to the house now that I have a place for it and gradually get it up and running. But the Scout is number one right now on the list so when those parts get here it's on. more to come

AD

9. J.J.

SWEET SUCCESS!! You've got a runner, congrats!

JJ in TN

10. Arkansas Dave

Now I just need a Scout runner, the radiator came in today and I pulled the other one and test fit it and it works great! The trans cooler came in yesterday and the fans should be here tomorrow, the oil filter relocation kit like I was going to buy was give to me by a good buddy he had bought it years back and never used it so when I said I was buying one he said no I have one I'm bringing you, nice to have good friends! Here are some pics:

AD

DSC_0962.JPG DSC_0969.JPG DSC_0970.JPG DSC_0971.JPG DSC_0972.JPG DSC_0973.JPG DSC_0974.JPG

11. Arkansas Dave

DSC_0975.JPG DSC_0976.JPG DSC_0951.JPG DSC_0952.JPG and some more:

J.J. and Perdido like this.
  12. J.J.

Bet the UPS guy knows you by name!

JJ in TN

13. Arkansas Dave

Yep and the Fed Ex guy! LOL Well I am going to work on the Scout tomorrow I haven't got to work on it the past two days I had a bunch of trees to cut and clean up. I decided to work on it some Friday and then ended up working on it Friday and today now I have to take a few days off of that to rest! I got started Friday and kept having saw issues with both of them of coarse so I went to town and picked up a new saw and of coarse I had to try it out and now my tail is dragging. So I will get to have some Scout time tomorrow can't wait. More to come

AD

14. Arkansas Dave

Well I picked up another one today I went and got my old car that I got when I was first starting to drive. I used to run it at the local drag strip every chance I got. Cruised it about every weekend and had a lot of fun driving it. I had it stored at my Dad and Mom's in the garage. I should have got it along time ago but I didn't have a spot to store it but I do now so it's home now and I will gradually get it back in shape after the Scout of coarse. For now just a good wash job and fire it up occasionally. It's been a busy weekend and Monday been emptying out my pole barn so I can build shelving and workbenches so I have a place to work besides the garage at the house and store all my parts organized so I can find them. I am building a loft in the pole barn so it will double my storage space and free up a lot of area downstairs. Anyway I will have more on the Scout soon just been swamped lately. more to come

AD

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  15. Arkansas Dave

Started insulating my building today and picked up brakes for the back of my 2nd pickup that I had got running recently. It was kinda an emergency type deal I tried to back it in the carport and it stopped half way and the rear brakes locked or at least the one on the right rear and the truck wouldn't go forward or backward, it did it once already and I got it to break loose but not this time so I got two new wheel cylinders, brake shoes, two cans of brake parts cleaner and a can of black paint. I got one side almost done on the brakes after putting up insulation this afternoon and soon I will be back to the Scout I hope to have most everything in the engine compartment buttoned up soon. more to come

AD

16. Arkansas Dave

Got a bunch more insulation put up this morning and got the black truck moving again, more insulation in the morning and a couple more items to finish up and then back to the Scout. I got way more than I can get caught up on. LOL more to come

AD

17. Arkansas Dave

More insulation yesterday and did some work on the other truck, today I insulated until about 2 pm, bled brakes on the other truck and then worked on the Scout I needed an air cleaner for it and I remembered I had an Edelbrock spare so I looked it over and the mesh had rusted so I hit it with a wire wheel and polished the base, primed and painted the mesh black and polished the wire retainer and also washed the element that was in surprisingly good shape for its age no rot or degrading at all. Anyway tomorrow I will do some insulation and work on the Scout. Oh yeah and after I worked on the air cleaner i had a few minutes to kill while supper was cooking so I worked a little on buffing my paint on my car I picked up Monday from Dad and Mom's garage. I am insulating the pole barn with 2 inch fiberglass board and then I am adding a ceiling which will double for a floor upstairs to double my storage space. Eventually probably after the Scout is done i will pour a concrete floor in it also. Here are some pics:
    AD

DSC_1030.JPG DSC_1004.JPG DSC_1002.JPG

18. Arkansas Dave

Going to try and get the Carb on and hooked up tomorrow, also the kickdown, do some touch up paint around the motor mounts and start mounting the radiator and fans.

AD

19. J.J.

Go Dave Go Dave Go Dave!!!

JJ in TN

20. Arkansas Dave

Got more insulation up Sunday and got the carb on the Scout and few things, put up more insulation today had to make a town run first picked up some Scout stuff. Then I fixed on the other truck, fixed on a fence and sanded and painted under hood stuff and motor mount area. I also found 4 new bolts with flat washers and lock nuts for tomorrow so I can install the radiator and fans. I will be done with the insulation tomorrow morning very little left to do. Of coarse there's lots to do in there just not insulation. i have to build some storage shelves, work benches and over head storage up stairs. But that stuff can be done more flexible while I work on the Scout. more to come

AD