BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

oil return holes?

2021 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

bdubb

Farmall Cub
I am in the process of replacing the valve cover gaskets on my 73 scout 345. I figured while I had them pulled I would clean out the oil return holes. I am assuming that they are the two holes at either end of the bottom of the head? If this is correct are they the only ones and what is the best way to clean them out. Any other things I should look at while the covers are off.
Thanks Brian

Bill USN-1

Staff member
bdubb said:
I am in the process of replacing the valve cover gaskets on my 73 scout 345. I figured while I had them pulled I would clean out the oil return holes. I am assuming that they are the two holes at either end of the bottom of the head? If this is correct are they the only ones and what is the best way to clean them out. Any other things I should look at while the covers are off.
Thanks Brian

Here is the oil hole.
Some don't like it... But I pull the head bolt out and use something like a 22 gun cleaning brush or a paint gun brush. Then spray it down with brake cleaner since it evaporates faster. Reinstall the head bolt and torque to spec.
When done you should change the oil.
If you have the resources and tools you may want to replace the last cyl's valve guide seals with the ford style umbrella seal(not the PC seal). This IMHO will help reduce or eliminate the puff of blue smoke on start-up.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

HTH
head 1
head 2
seals
heads thread
seal thread

Last edited:

WTC_RET

Farmall Cub
...Any other things I should look at while the covers are off.
You never know what you will find. When I removed the valve covers from mine I found large gobs of orange sealant from the previous owners attempt at saving money on gaskets. :eek: - Kerry

392beast

Farmall Cub
What we did on my truck,(392ci, same thing) was we took a metal clothes hanger and bent it into a 4 inch long corkscrew style thingy with one or two spirals at the end and a nice handle on the other end. Then we made it cherry red and quenched it, so it was harder. We used that to screw the crud out of my drains and a vacuum with a very small head on it to suck the gunk out. Oh, by the way, don't be afraid to push all you got on that corkscrew, you'll need to if the dirt in there was like mine. Unfortunately, my truck still burns oil, fiercely. Any tips for this would be great. Hope this helps and good luck!

Bill USN-1

Staff member
Your replying to a thread from 2005.

But for you, look at the Valve train write up in the BP knowledge. Just click the link at the top of the page.
If all is good and it still smokes then it's time for a rebuild with new rings.