BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"off road" radiator and electric fans.

Binder TV

IH64Scout

Dreams of Cub Cadets
maybe this should be in skunkworks, but i figure i'd get a better response here...move accordingly. :cornfused:

as most of you know i have the 6.9L diesel in my terra, i have a custom alum. rad and a flex fan on a custom made hub for the threaded waterpump. well the first time i hit water POP! the fan twisted up and ate my $530 custom rad. :no: i had it patched up with epoxy but i don't trust it, and even with rubber bushings the mounting brackets are TEARING off the rad. i talked to Mike Moore at nats and he said someone was thinking of making a "off road ready" radiator, did anyone go through with it? i'd like to match the 6.9L waterneck diameter so i can keep the straight hoses i have. i tried to call TAPP (the company mike suggested for a stock replacement one) but i can't get ahold of them.

here's my idea, if i cannot find a close match. i'd like to make it the same height as a stock scout rad. but 1" narrow to give some wiggle room as the inner fenders shuffle around. then instead of mounting it to the inner fenders i'd put 2 1/4" "studs" on the bottom (like most 90's ford pickups) and then make a bracket to go across the bottom of the inner fenders with 2 bushings in it for the studs to go in. then the top i would just make a C bracket with some rubber in it to hold the top in place. and of course match the waternecks. i'd probably mount it 1 to 1-1/2" forward from stock as the 6.9 snout is only 1-1/2" away from the rad. then i'd go with 2 11" high CFM electric fans, one mounted up to the left, and one down t the right. i hope they'd keep it cool, although i did drive the truck for a week with NO FAN at all and it stayed under 200 degrees as long as i didn't sit still longer than a minute or so.

what do you guys think?
-Jon :hammer:

Mike Moore

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Jeff at IHON was the one who was looking at the alternate mounting style and narrower core. TAPP also makes his radiators, too. I think they did go through with it, but haven't heard anything much about it. You might check the IHON forums for something.

db1115

High Wheeler
Have you talked to the guys at RND Fabrication? They can probably make you whatever you need.

Jay Tabor

Banned
look at my website I offer a narrower rad, and have made/used them.
I came up with that idea years ago, so the side tanks dont get squeezed by the core support flexing.
keep in mind having a fan real close to the rad core, and going thru water, the same thing wlll happen.
so a 2 row core set forwards will give more room for fan blades. but who wants that?
or set the fan farther back- get rid of spacers and thermostatic clutch...
Ive been working on a design that sets the rad farther forwards in the core support,
and Ive been working on a much better mounting bracket than side mounts attached to the side tanks.

ihscoutfanatic

Farmall Cub
I built this set up using drills and hand tools and you can cut chnge the aluminum shroud to however you want it for rad dimensions and space restrictions. I used four 9 in spal fans due to lack of space in front of the water pump to use one large fan. Could have gone with 2 caddy cornered larger fans but i wanted air flow across the entire rad since it gets hotter than hell here in texas

Attachments

• shroud504.JPG
    shroud504.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 126

IronMaiden

Farmall Cub
In the Jeep world (and off road in general), we use Ford Taurus fans all the time.

Just shut them off before you do any water crossings and you should be fine.

They are cheap in the junk yard and flow a LOT of air. 2500 CFM on low speed and 4500 CFM on high

Any pick and pull has them for about $12-$16 each.

IH64Scout

Dreams of Cub Cadets
I have a taurus fan, its WAYYYYY too thick to fit with the 6.9. Actually it didn't fit on my scout with the 345 either...

-Jon

Hoov100

Farmall Cub
I have a taurus fan, its WAYYYYY too thick to fit with the 6.9. Actually it didn't fit on my scout with the 345 either...

-Jon

Did you try and trim the shroud down?

As for the radiator/fan issue, my suggestion would be to move the radiator just forward of the core support and use a taurus fan. A flex fan really does flex and puts ALOT of stress on the aluminum rivets used to hold it together, if you do stick with a mechanical fan I would highly suggest using a OEM type fan.

IH64Scout

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Did you try and trim the shroud down?

As for the radiator/fan issue, my suggestion would be to move the radiator just forward of the core support and use a taurus fan. A flex fan really does flex and puts ALOT of stress on the aluminum rivets used to hold it together, if you do stick with a mechanical fan I would highly suggest using a OEM type fan.

I trimmed it down until th fan almost touches the cores.

-Jon

Super Scout

Farmall Cub
What kinda flex fan do you have ? I had the same issue on my 73 I hit water and it bent the damn thing so I bought a heavier one. I would say it is twice the thickness of my old flex fan. Still works fine but I know longer have the issue of it bending when hitting water. Maybe an easier solution, I forget the brand but Ill look when I get home.

IH64Scout

Dreams of Cub Cadets
i think it's a flex-a-lite. i got it at autozone, the blades are really thin.

-Jon