BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nick's scout AKA the Blue Bomber

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Well figured while I am tinkering around with Nick's rig I might as well go ahead and start a build thread. The overall goal for Nick's rig is to have a solid dependable rig that could be daily driven. Plans for it as of now is to upgrade to power steering/ brakes. Install the fresh 304, and swap in/ go through the dana 44's Nick sent with the rig. Here are a few pics.

Nick had the engine rebuilt 9 years ago I believe so I was concerned that there nay be some surface rust inside the cylinder. Due to a busted exaust manifold mount we are going to have his fresh head guts swaped into another head so while the head was off we got a good look into the cylinders and they look perfect.

Since it has been sitting for so long alot of the engine bolts are amiss so while I am waiting on a SS bolt kit to arrive I went ahead and rebuilt the oil pump and some other stuff.

The rebuild is fairly easy , just follow your manuals specs for clearences.

gear to body clearance

When I rolled the engine on its side to install the oil pump I noticed that where the side seals were supposed to be there was a glob of silicon so I pulled the main rear bearing cap to find this. Now the silicon might have sealed for a while , but oil would have eventually worked its way through and leaked so after some cleaning some assembly lube on the bearing and the cap torqued to spec I installed the proper side seals with a dab of type 2 sealent to help them slide in.

oil pump istalled

timing cover cleaned up painted and ready to go back on.

It will still be a week or so before I really get rolling on this one , I just wanted to show Nick what was going on so far. :beer:

Nichelob

Farmall Cub
'Bout time she got some love! Love the paint and thanks for doing up the rear main right, this is why I let the pros handle it!

Haven't heard from the guy I bought the SS bolt kit from but eBay says estimated delivery is 11/9-11/20 (link to ebay item) He's got good feedback, so it should be this week sometime.

This means I'm happy: :2guns:

Caveblazin

Farmall Cub
Glad your starting another rig so soon your work keeps me motivated to finish mine up. Thanks again for the assistance the other day..

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Nothing major, just some pics to let Nick know I am still slowly poking at his rig until I get a few more things out of my way so I can really begin. I believe we have most of the parts we are going to need beside some of the peripheral small stuff, but Nick has sent me a ton of stuff along with stuff that I have picked up. So here are a few pics of the engine assembly.

First most of the bolts for the engine were MIA so I had Nick snag a Stainless bolt kit from these guys. It is a really well put together kit and included everything needed to put her back together.

Rust removal

The valve covers were already painted , but were two tones of red, and the paint was flaking so I stripped them. Someone had mounted something to one of them so I pulled the screw and welded the hole up.

Time for a give away. What is wrong here for a prize.

Some mo betta pics.

That's all for now.

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Glad you like the white ettering. That is good for an extra 10 horse power!!:D
I am sure that someone will catch what is wrong. I don't want to ruin someones "prize".

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Yeah the head had an expasion plug in the water tube port. Ted PM me your addy so I can send you your slightly used/damaged freeze plug. :D

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Well time for some more updates. I am about ready to give Nicks rig a dedicated spot in the garage for the next little bit. We have been slowly getting ready.
I spent part of the weekend with the preasure washer ,some degreaser , and a scraper blade. There was so much trash on the trans and t-case I had to attack it with a scraper blade. The underside of the scout and frame are free of debris and hopefully a little more tolerable to work under.
Also the engine is assembled well enough to be droped in once I inspect the tranny and t-case and bolt it all together. The valve covers won't be bolted down until I verify at startup that the top end is oiling properly.

Parts stash building.

Luckily Fri. I got off of work a little early and had time to preasure wash everything before the cold moved in.

Today I removed the trans in the snow and continued cleaning with a scraper what I couldn't get with the preasure washer.

Nichelob

Farmall Cub
Aw man, she's getting some major love! Glad you got the diapers changed and all. She's been looking at snow thru the windows in the garage for about 8 years, now she finally got to feel it, can't wait till she can run in it!

Next time we order parts, I'll add a belt to hold your britches up :lol:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Damnit I thought I deleted that pic before anybody would see it. :D True story. My belt buckle sudenly gives me a rash on my stomach. Whats a guy gonna do?:oops: :beer:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Got some work done on Nick's rig. Got the front axle in the shop tore down, stripped and of all the gunk, painted, and partially reasembled. New moog ball joints, spicer u joints in the shafts, timken spindle bearings and dust/grease seals on the shafts,and a new pinion seal. The front will also be getting all new wheel bearings when I get the rotors turned. Also got the itty bitty :D t-90 drained of all the mollasses gear oil and cleaned, inspected and painted.

Blingin EGR block off.

The pistons were siezed in the calipers so I picked up a new set, and one of the rotors were shot so I got a good used one for a replacement. I am going to have them turned tommorow so the rest of the axle can be reasembled and put under the truck. Other than a small amount of surface rust on the ring gear the chunk looks to be in good shape. Also Nick I checked your caster like you wanted and figureing with the axle under the truck and your pinion pointed down 3-5* you will be looking at a caster angle of 0- +2* nothing worth worrying about with no lift.

Box-o-parts

Purdy

Lots better. I don't think the under side of this thing had ever had a bath. This is after a preasure washing, scraping, deagreaser another preasure washing and more scraping followed by a wire wheel.:hammer:

Thats all for now. BTW I got a new belt.:stuart:

oldironoffroad

High Wheeler
Got the Blue bomber in the garage and some of the parts staged for the install. Also got the front rotors picked up from being turned , new wheel bearings installed , hubs service and the front axle finished up.

Battery cable popsicle anyone??? The rig is complete with a battery box made from 3/16 plate and no drain holes. It is ugly, but Nick has agreed to make it go bye bye.

Front axle back together.

Bicycle brake/throttle cable. Ummm Yeah that has to go.

Now that it is in the garage I am going to start on the power steering and power brakes swap. I have the 24th-3rd off work so I should get a good bit knocked out then.

Last edited: