Newb to Binders

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Sozzy, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

I got the kid doing some work on the gauges this weekend. Getting it slowly back together. New taillights came in a few weeks ago. They're pretty close to the last things remaining... Along with about 1,000 other little things to check.

Attached Files:

2. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Dreams of Cub Cadets

I spy the Packard 56 connector set. Nice.

3. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Got the gauges done yesterday, almost done with the radio, heater, AC wires. Getting close!

winchested likes this.
  4. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

It's been too long since posting anything. Not to make excuses but I went on vacation shortly after my last post and my gall bladder blew up on me. 6 weeks post surgery and I'm getting back into it... After doing some work on other projects.
    I got the wiper switch wired today. Also finished the efi install with the pink wire connection. Still need to do the alternator and tail light wiring and install the gauges. So close! Hope to get it running this week.

TravelerMan79 and winchested like this.
  5. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

Glad your doing better and back on the ol' Scout look forward to seeing more progress good luck.

AD

6. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Had a little time this afternoon. Got to the reverse light wiring. Right side done. Need to finish the left.

Attached Files:

7. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

I hit a snag while trying to finish up the tail lights... One of my marker light housings os toast and both pigtails are pretty rough. Ordered new pig tails but cant find the housings anywhere other than scoutparts. Don't want to use them. Anyone have one?
    Also, can't figure out what all the pictured wires go to. They run into to Traveler top. Pretty sure green goes to the dome lights. One must go to the license plate lamps. I've got brown, yellow, green, and blue. Anyone have any ideas?

8. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Picture from above...

Attached Files:

9. MrKenmore

Are you using stock connectors? Look for Packard 56. You can always pull out the connectors and install in a new housing.

10. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

I'm using a qwik wire harness and Packard connectors. I have a white wire for dome light power on the harness. Not sure what wire to connect that to? One more for the license plate lamps but don't which wire. What are the other two wires connected to?

11. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Got a few minutes after work... Soldered the speaker wires for the rear speakers I'll be installing later this week, hopefully.

12. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

The kid did some work with me today. She cut out holes for the speakers and we connected the wires and installed everything.
    Finished the tail lights Friday. Started looming stuff under the hood. Mounted the check engine light in the new glove box.
    Coming together.

Attached Files:

MrKenmore and TravelerMan79 like this.
  13. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Spent most the day looming stuff, trying to get the trans temp sensor installed, finish the alternator wiring (need some 4 ga. Wire to complete, but I know what I'm doing), and figured out how to wire the AC.
    Still not sure about the reverse lights or the neutral safety switch.
    Just about ready to install the dash and gauges.

MrKenmore likes this.
  14. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Got the 4 gauge wire and installed it after work. Hoping to be able to driver it this weekend. Just got the renewed registration in the mail.

winchested likes this.
  15. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Spent the last couple days working on finishing up the wiring. Installed a new NSS and pig tail. Didn't realize the switch was in the trans case ans fluid would come out when removed, so my shop floor is slick....
    Installed the battery and I think I wired the headlight switch wrong. No headlights. One marker light on all the time.
    Also, my hose clamp over rubber fuel line connecting two hard lines was spraying fuel. Think I'll have to flare the fittings and connect them. Too much pressure apparently.
    Installed the gauges but the tach and speedo need more clearance on the bottom. I bought some burr bits so I can take out some more of the dash.
    So close yet so far.

Attached Files:

16. MrKenmore

Ha! Funny about that NSS. I bought one to replace (mine was working OK) but I thought twice after I realized fluid would come out. I decided to leave the one in. You're really close!!! Almost driving.

17. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Got home from a trip to Moab and Ouray, CO last night... Got really motivated to get the Traveler done so I can take it back...
    Swapped out the trans pan gasket and filter and flared the fuel lines that leaked as soon as I turned on the key last week. Need the connection piece for the fuel line fittings. Then it should start...
    For inspiration here are a few shots from my trip. Ouray is my dad's home town. Fellin park is named for my great grandfather who donated the land to the town as well as the site of the hot springs. His old shop still stands on Main st. and is now a Jeep rental and service station. We still own 9 mines in the area.

Attached Files:

TorqueMonster1 and LukeM like this.
  18. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Got the fuel line sorted. Had the kid change the oil. She started! Ran well for a minute or so before I shut her down to look over the headlight switch....
    I unplugged the connectors from the switch and thought I had it right. Running lights come on. No headlights. Dash lights seem to work. Right front running light on all the time. No brake lights. No backup lights. The headlight fuse keeps blowing.
    From the harness I have 7 wires going to the headlight switch... Tail lights, front parking lights, dimmer switch, ground, 2 light switch powers ( spliced together), and power for gauge lights. These are what the wiring is labeled. Am I missing something?
    Need to go back through and check grounds.
    Heater blows low as soon as the key is turned. Should be easily fixed. Think I just have the wires on the wrong posts.
    Now the kicker, it won't start again. The fuel pump engages, but no crank. Wondering if it's the NSS I reused. Why would it work first then not a little later? Frustrated.

19. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Figured out the nss was bad. Looped the two wires with a temp and it starts right back up and isles nicely. Actually took it up and down the road for a quick trip, just to say I did.
    Got the heater issue fixed. Still need to fix the lights and replace the nss.
    The kid also installed some LED lights around the shop...

Attached Files:

MrKenmore likes this.
  20. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Been trying to figure out the light issues. About to raise thw white flag and take it to my mechanic buddy. It's been running well. Git the timing dialed it, fixed some vacuum leaks, replaced the hood switch cable, and got the throttle linkage pretty well figured. The kid and I have driven it a handful of times.