Newb to Binders

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by Sozzy, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

I finally broke down and took it in to my buddy this morning. He is much better with wiring. About an hour he figured out I had a couple bad grounds, a bad dimmer switch, and possibly a faulty headlight switch. Waiting on a new dimmer but everything seems to be working other than headlights...
    On the other hand it drove great into town, except the throttle cable slipped thorough the retainer so I had no gas pedal for a couple minutes until I could pull over and reset then tighten it. Need to make some sort of bracket to give me full throttle position... The stock piece doesn't quite fit with the tbi linkage.

2. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

My guy got everything working. Cost me $120. Money well spent IMO.
    Spent most of the day trying to take the play out of my steering column. Mostly unsuccessful. I did get my new steering wheel installed and it looks great.
    Still a few odds and ends to reinstall. Glove box, ash tray, etc. Have some dash pad epoxy repair on the way. I'll fix up the old one and then paint it a textured color. Kid needs to decide which color.

Attached Files:

winchested likes this.
  3. winchested

winchested Dreams of Cub Cadets

Same steering wheel I'm rocking love it!

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

4. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Installed the glove box, ash tray, etc. Then we cleaned it up a bit and the kid drove me into town to get ice cream. Did really well. She loves the new steering wheel. And the stereo.
    On the way back the motor sputtered and died. We pulled ove and it started right back up. Weird. Ran great all the way home. She's taking it to school tomorrow.
    I did notice the oil pressure drops to nothing on the guage when hot and idling. Goes up to 20 or so when the rpms increase. Thinking I should try a thicker oil. Running 10w30 now.

Attached Files:

MrKenmore and winchested like this.
  5. winchested

winchested Dreams of Cub Cadets

15w40 diesel oil is what most of us run.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

6. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

That's pretty much what I had in mind. Or maybe even 20w50.

7. MrKenmore

MrKenmore Dreams of Cub Cadets

Shell Rotella T4 here 15W40.

8. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

I'm thinking I have a vacuum leak intermittently... My flame arrestor on the driver's side valve cover seems loose and when it moves around I hear vacuum. Of course, I do have it plumbed into the base of the TBI rather than the intake... No port on the intake/ air cleaner I am running. Should the flame arrestor be able to rotate/ move around or is it supposed to be tighter? It's tightly threaded into the valve cover, just the body seems loose from the threaded portion. It seems these things are still on national back order.

9. MrKenmore

10. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

I actually read that earlier... Thinking I'll have to drill my nice intake tube. I don't have a traditional round air cleaner assembly.

11. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Took off Veterans' Day and a couple more use or lose vacation days. Sanded down the dash pad and filled it with the padded dash filler that showed up yesterday in the mail. It's a little chilly in the shop so I'll let it dry some extra time before sanding.

Attached Files:

MrKenmore likes this.
  12. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Never got around to sanding... Wife and I tool the scout into town to go to thw gym. Took 90 minutes to get home.
    The fuel pump started whining then the motor started cutting out. Got worse and worse. By the time we finally got home it was stalling every 30 seconds or so. Couldn't get over about 5 mph. Not sure what's the problem. Need to hook up the diagnostic able. The check engine light was flashing. Hope it's something simple. Like a fuel filter or maybe the sending unit is sucking air. Ideas?

13. MrKenmore

How is your return line plumbed? Did you use 3/8 supply and 5/16 (or bigger) return? What is the status of you fuel tank and pickup/sender? I bet that's the problem.

14. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

I
    Used 5/16 for return and supply. Newer poly tank and sending unit a few years ago.

15. MrKenmore

I know if you ask Bill Hamilton, he'll say your supply is too small. Isn't the fuel pump 3/8"? Did you step down after the pump?

16. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

He already did... Planning to swap the lines this weekend. Already have new ones. Shouldn't take much. Looking at the filter, it's already a little dirty. I'll swap it too.

MrKenmore likes this.
  17. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Got most of the lines replaced today. Had to get a coupling to connect two pieces of hard line. The old filter looked kind of nasty compared to the new one but fuel was still flowing through it. I'll try starting and drive it tomorrow. Alone, just in case I need to call the wife to hook up my super duty and trailer...

While I was doing the fuel lines the wife and kid painted the dash pad. Found some stone textured paint. Think it looks kinda cool.

Attached Files:

MrKenmore and winchested like this.
  18. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Finished the fuel lines 3/8 all the way from the tank. Primed the pump several times and tried to start. Nada. No fuel in the filter. Thinking I'll need to drop the tank and check the pickup. Not today...

19. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

I disconnected the fuel line from the filter and ran a line into a gas can. Primed it a few times. Got fuel into the filter and it ran. Reconnected the line and it seemed to run ok. Took it down the road and damn it did it again. Fuel filter has a little fuel going through it but not as much as it did when I first started it. I'm guessing the pump is failing as it warms up some. Anyone know what is the part number for the pump that comes with the Hamilton kit?
    Also installed the dash pad. Dig how it turned out with the texture.

Attached Files:

20. Sozzy

Sozzy Binder Driver

Went to the shop to try and diagnose my fuel delivery issue and the battery is dead. Hooked up the jump pack and the solenoid is clicking... Think I fried the starter. Add it to the list...

Pulled the scout out of the shop so I could use the lift for another project and the oil leak looks like it is getting worse. Thicker oil may help. Not excited to replace the rear main...