BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"New" Scout Problems

WeldPuddle

Farmall Cub
have just bought my first scout a 73 Half Cab with a 304, T-90 Transmission, unknown transfer case, DANA 44 front and rear, i dont have much have much time working on or knowledge of non-general motors drivetrains. The Truck has a generic 2barrel carb. The truck starts with a a couple of try and smokes very little. But when you press the skinny peddle to the floor it cuts out, my thought was that it was getting to much gas. Also it will run fine for awhile then die or the truck will start to violently lurch forward the screech to a stop this will go on until i press the clutch in. Any ideas? I was also wondering if any one had any info on the T-90 Tranny. More to the point will it stand up to my plans for 35-37in tires, dual lockers and 300HP. I am allready looking foward to your help with this problem. I am sure there will be many more.:confused:

WeldPuddle

Farmall Cub
Also...

I dont think i explained it enough above. When it starts to lurch it the type of lurch that you get when you dont know how to drive a manual transmission and are just starting off. But it happens when i am driving down the road in 1st or 2nd gear, at speeds from 10-45mph.

JDS549

Farmall Cub
?????????????

does the lurch happen when you are moving or starting off. also,
the first thing is to find out if the engine is dieing or if there is a
mechanical locking problem. i.e. does it do it while jacked up??
does the engine run good when not USING power? many questions here. also, where in texas. PM ME if you would rather.
i am in the panhandle.:confused: :confused:

RD Durham

High Wheeler
T90?

I don't believe that IH used the T90 behind any V8 engines, and not in Scout IIs. A T90 was barely adequate for an I4 engine and wouldn't last very long behind a V8. More than likely you have a Warner T15D three speed transmission. Additional information is in the FAQs (http://www.binderplanet.com/faq/18.htm#1).

The transfer case should be a Dana 20. Check to see if the rear drive shaft is centered and not off set to the passenger's side of the truck. Centered drive shaft equals Dana 20, off set is Dana/Spicer T18 transfer case.

Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Super Mod from Downunder
Staff member
Administrator
sounds like the clutch is grabbing causing ya to drive like a learner, so that generally means there is oil on the clutch plate!

Paul "Misterfixit" Schulz

Super Mod from Downunder
Staff member
Administrator
the other thing to look at is engine mounts, because if it has a mechanical linkage throttle set up it will become very aggressive when driving due to the engine moving causing clutch linkages and throttle linkages to change position

WeldPuddle

Farmall Cub
It happens mostly when just driving at about 30. I found out last night that it also has a fuel take/ filler leak. I Am thinking about putting a non scout fuel tank in it. It all ready has an electric fuel pump. I can only get it to do it when i am driving. So its hard to see if fuel starvation is causing the lurching. But see i think it has the problem of to much fuel when you give it alot of gas when its cold. I am going to go drive it to the car wash and de grease it now. I will check back in a little while. Thank yall for the help so far

PS. I live in Amarillo

pat webb

Farmall Cub
if you have a holly check the accelater pump linkage if it is not tight or has a leak it will give you a dead spot off of idle. Had the problem on a 2 barrel took a while to find .