BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New IH trailer project

2022 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous

michigan scout

High Wheeler
This trailer which someone tried to make from a travelall and a pickup. I guess it was never finished because they couldn't figure it out exactly... It is really rough and going to take alot of work. Going to have way more in it than it is worth but it will be a very unique thing when done. Most people are going to say "WHY?" "What is it?" I see potential. I think I will get rid of the original axle and put a regular trailer axle under it. Biggest thing I need to find a travelall rear tailgate. Here is the picture of unloading it when it was delivered last night.

Attachments

• IHTRAVELALL TRAILER.jpg
    IHTRAVELALL TRAILER.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 65

DT466

Farmall Cub
That's cool! Looks like the back of a late R/S series cab on the front. I'm pretty sure those Travelalls were also available with barn doors.

michigan scout

High Wheeler
making some progress. trying to get done or close for nationals.. I need some things if anyone can assist. I need glass for the travelall body, Need rear window for the truck cab. I also need rear tailgate. I need to figure out what to do for interior ceiling? Thinking some shag carpet for the sides for the interior??? Anyone have some pics of 50s travelall rear tail lights?

Attachments

• 48204.jpeg
    48204.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 48202.jpeg
    48202.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 48200.jpeg
    48200.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210510_125945.jpg
    20210510_125945.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 20210510_170403.jpg
    20210510_170403.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:

michigan scout

High Wheeler
making some progress. I need window seals and glass. anyone know where to get travelall glass or universal window seals contacted few glass companies around but they really don't have any interest cutting/fitting flat glass. I ordered fender welting so once that's in I can get fenders put back on. lots and lots to do yet

Attachments

• 48790.jpeg
    48790.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 48791.jpeg
    48791.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 48793.jpeg
    48793.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 5

michigan scout

High Wheeler
paints on! saved a little paint for after my Colorado trip. I located a tailgate in a yard out there need that desperately. anyone got suggestions for a tail lights?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210709-182618_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210709-182618_Chrome.jpg
    483.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210710_164339.jpg
    20210710_164339.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 12
  • 20210710_164341.jpg
    20210710_164341.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 20210710_164400.jpg
    20210710_164400.jpg
    7.6 MB · Views: 15

michigan scout

High Wheeler
Well, the fenders are in place, have some work to do on the welting and fastening to get them to fit. I ran into a huge issue. I bought a tailgate from someone out west that been dealing in IH parts for years and told them I need a 1950 to pre-56 tailgate for a travelall and he had one! Pefect! so I picked it up when I was out west last week at the Colorado Show. I never looked at it since they know parts the best, and better than me. Well.....its the wrong one :( I have a couple options at this point since I have not had much help in the IH community coming up with one.

Here are my options that I see at this point!

1- Cut the sides down on the tailgate I bought about 1/2 inch, the tailgate is 1/2 to long for the opening. It is 6inches shorter, I could add some metal to the bottom of the top lift gate to fill in the gap. Hate to cut down a good tailgate especially if it can help someone else.. My guess, the one I got is 57-60? take a look at the pink picture below. Even if I did alter it, It would not have the feature line in it at the top, look at the blue pic and if I welded a piece of metal to the lift gate, not sure how it would line up. Hinge locations are different also and hardware locations.
2- Try to make a plywood tailgate, my old mans advice---hate that idea..
3- I have a 53 pick up cab I could cut the back out of the cab, use that as a skin, then try to build some sort of metal frame and build my own tailgate...that might be way over my skill level though. If I did that I would have that feature line at the top and should match up but I will have only one shot this is the only spare cab I have, i know where there are some parts trucks but 6 hours away. I do have another pre 56 complete truck but don't want to cut that cab up.

ANYONE GOT ANY OTHER IDEAS?

Attached are the pictures so yall can see what I am talking about the difference between the tailgates. The blue travelall is what I need. The pink travelall is what I bought.

I also am trying to find glass.. The 50-56 t-alls had sliders on the sides plus I don't have all rubber seals. I have checked with several glass companies and they are not interested in making/cutting. My local hardware will but it will be really thin...like single pain window glass. I need 6 side windows, rear window (55 or 56?) rear upper liftgate glass. Rear window is available on line...little pricey though.

Anyone got a rear bumper that would work?

Attachments

• 53 cab.jpg
    53 cab.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 53talltailgae.jpg
    53talltailgae.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 57talltailgate.jpg
    57talltailgate.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 4

mongocanfly

Dreams of Cub Cadets
Dont use hardware store glass...you need tempered or safety glass...hard to believe you cant get it cut...the old time glass shops are a dying breed
That pink one is a 57 and up...I'd be looking for my money back...
That will be so cool when you get it finished...hang in there

stroker3

Lives in an IH Dealership
.hard to believe you cant get it cut.
Sure is. Nobody wants to do anything today.

Being a trailer and as a last resort, maybe some good quality plexiglass would tie it over for awhile. . IF this covid thing ever ends for good there should be plenty of that available.
Another thought is that campers have flat glass. It's not thick but legal grade. Tempered or something . Had to have one cut for our 5th wheel when it seems we didn't lock it right and the awning window blew open on the highway. Anyway the glass was EXPENSIVE but legal for trailer use. Might be worth asking at a RV dealer to see if any shops in the area cuts RV /camper flat glass. We left the empty frame and they cut the glass to fit . This wasn't a windshield place, it just happened to be more of a homeowners/ comercial building replacement glass shop. Many times commercial buildings require special glass in entrances and doors etc. Might be why these guys were willing to move into the RV side too, IDK.

EDIT: this is the place we used for the trailer glass. The branch near here was a smaller shop located in NH. Would imagine there has to be someone like these guys out there.

Last edited:

michigan scout

High Wheeler
There are companies in the internet that sell glass for classics and hotrods. That's probably whee you need to go.
I have called Bobs glass and vintage glass, and probably 10 local glass companies that can get vintage glass but they all say none available.---for the side and lift gate glass...truck rear window is available.