BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Cub Cadet

DrMaserati

High Wheeler
Well. . . . not really new, but new to me. I hauled home a new toy today. It is a Spirit of '76 Cub Cadet. I just couldn't help myself. It's so cute, kinda like a puppy.

I don't even know if it runs. The guy said it was running fine when he put it in the shed three years ago. Yeah, right. I'll believe it when I hear it run. Someone has removed the alt/starter and put on a pull starter, so I'll be looking for a new engine shroud and alt/starter for it. It has an 8 hp Briggs engine and is painted red/white/blue with stars. Anyway, I figured I couldn't get hurt too bad for only $80.

Attachments

• Spirit Cadet 1.jpg
    Spirit Cadet 1.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Spirit Cadet 2.jpg
    Spirit Cadet 2.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 11

Scoutmanor

Farmall Cub
Super cool Jim! Now we can mow the lawn in tandem! :)

You should bring it to the next meeting.

Nice score, does it have a draw bar so you cab tow the LB?

Carl Wiese

Staff member
DrMaserati said:
Well. . . . not really new, but new to me. I hauled home a new toy today. It is a Spirit of '76 Cub Cadet. I just couldn't help myself. It's so cute, kinda like a puppy.

I don't even know if it runs. The guy said it was running fine when he put it in the shed three years ago. Yeah, right. I'll believe it when I hear it run. Someone has removed the alt/starter and put on a pull starter, so I'll be looking for a new engine shroud and alt/starter for it. It has an 8 hp Briggs engine and is painted red/white/blue with stars. Anyway, I figured I couldn't get hurt too bad for only $80.

Jim,

You stole it for 80 bucks, the new decal set for them is over 100!! It looks to be in great shape paint and decal wise, great find. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Carl

DrMaserati

High Wheeler
Carl Wiese said:
Jim,

You stole it for 80 bucks, the new decal set for them is over 100!! It looks to be in great shape paint and decal wise, great find. Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

Carl
Yeah, I figured for $80 I could part it out and come out ahead if I had to. The decals are OK, but the paint isn't as good as it looks in the photos. I'm using the seller's photos, and they're pretty low resolution. There are rust spots showing through the paint in a lot of places, and the seat is shot. It needs a new dash decal and some paint. Do you guys have that stuff? And some manuals, naturally.

Scoutmanor said:
Super cool Jim! Now we can mow the lawn in tandem! :)

You should bring it to the next meeting.

Nice score, does it have a draw bar so you cab tow the LB?
Maybe I'll bring it to the next meeting and we can race around the parking lot. Loser buys the beer. It's only 8 hp, so you'll probably kick my grits. It just has a pin on the back for towing, but it will definitely pull the LB.
-

Carl Wiese

Staff member
DrMaserati said:
Yeah, I figured for $80 I could part it out and come out ahead if I had to. The decals are OK, but the paint isn't as good as it looks in the photos. I'm using the seller's photos, and they're pretty low resolution. There are rust spots showing through the paint in a lot of places, and the seat is shot. It needs a new dash decal and some paint. Do you guys have that stuff? And some manuals, naturally.

We've got the manuals, even the Spirit of 76 specific operators. The decals aren't stocked, as you can imagine there isn't too much call for them and we can't get partial sets, it's all or none. Also, just FYI Ken Updike's Book Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet has a few things to say about the Spirit of 76.

To celebrate the United State's Bicentennial, IH built a specially painted version of the 76 lawn tractor appropriately called "The Spirit of 76." This tractor has become very collectible, with few originals left.

It goes on....

To find one of the 3504 Spirit of 76 Cadets today can be quite a challenge. Many have been reparied and the original parts have been replaced. The hardest original issued parts to find for these are the steering wheel, (which is molded in white plastic not black as all the replacements are), the seat, which has a white vinyl covering and white painted metal backing, and the Spirit of 76 decal set.

I am on the phone with Jim as I type, just posting this up for everyone else. ;)

Jay Perkins

Farmall Cub
Nice find Jim....... I showed that one to Dawn for a yard art............ our place is to small for a riding mower............... Have fun with the new toy!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrMaserati

High Wheeler
Jay Perkins said:
Nice find Jim....... I showed that one to Dawn for a yard art............ our place is to small for a riding mower............... Have fun with the new toy!!!!!!!!!!!!
My yard is too small also, but I figured I could use it to mow my rocky piece of desert in central Oregon. I had no idea this was a rare or unusual rig when I bought it, and now I guess the idea of mowing rocks with it is out. I guess I'll just keep it for a toy. Clean it up and take it to the shows and tow my LB engine around with it.

DrMaserati

High Wheeler
Incerdible. But it ain't for sale.

I've started working on it a little, and I can see why the guy wasn't interested in trying to start it while I was there. Even the pull starter someone put on doesn't work. But it has good compression and the plug looks good, so it has obviously been running. Needs a lot of TLC, but I may have it running this evening. Also no brakes, so I'm wondering if that also means the clutch won't work. We'll see. I want to see it move under it's own power so I don't have to push it all the way around to the back yard.

Chrispucci

High Wheeler
Holy cow!! Sweet find! I was just reading about that model yesterday afternoon!!

But I am beginning to worry about you....

Are you going to be the old guy with 47 trucks, 8 mowers, 10 trailers, etc, etc....

I sure hope we don't need to have an intervention with you :D

Colin Rush

Man of Voive
Staff member
:confused: I thought those came with Kohler engines. Every one I have seen has had one. If so, then why is there an 8HP B&S engine in that?

That Bicentennial paint job and white wheel leave me in a mind of an AMC AMX. You should get some Javelin and AMX and 401 badges for it to complete the look. It already has the big swoopy rear fenders.

Then all you need is the Evel Knievel / pseudo-Elvis jumpsuit for the shows with matching blue stars on white. I can see it now: Jim jumping over Farmalls in his souped-up AMX Cadet.

Don Bellamy

Farmall Cub
sweet cub indeed. :cool: Those are a collectors item for sure, let me know if you have any questions as I know a guy who has 3 restored and also a great parts supplier too.I can't wait to see & ride it :D

PS. another great job on the GWBB pics thanks.

PPS. The cco should arive this week and I think I'm actually nesting. lol
cleared a nice spot in the carport for it. he he

Don B

DrMaserati

High Wheeler
IT'S ALIVE!!!!

After reengineering and rebuilding the bunged up pull start assembly, and checking the plug for fire, I disconnected the gas line at the carb and poured some gas in the tank and let it flush out the line. Reconnected the fuel line and it started on the third pull. Runs great wide open but barely idles, so the carb needs a little adjustment.

The test drive made it about 20 feet before there was suddenly no steering. Promptly veered off to the right and bashed into the side of my pickup before I could get it shut off. :eek: As you'll recall I mentioned in an earlier post the brakes don't work. Fortunately I was going slow and only a few superficial marks on both the truck and tractor. Seems that one of the little ball joints on the steering rod chose that moment to self destruct. It's worn out, so I "rebuilt" it and put it all back together. Other than the steering being a bit stiff, it drives fine. I suspect nothing on this thing has ever been greased or lubed.

Next project is to find a starter/alternator and battery and change it back to electric start. The key is still hanging in the ignition switch.

Here are some better quality photos than I posted earlier. As you can see, the decals are in pretty good shape. But there are places where there is quite a bit of rust coming through the paint.

OK Phil, I'm ready for the challenge. Mowers at 50 paces.

Attachments

• _MG_3391.JPG
    _MG_3391.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 22
  • _MG_3393.JPG
    _MG_3393.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 26
  • _MG_3401.JPG
    _MG_3401.JPG
    223.1 KB · Views: 13
  • _MG_3402.JPG
    _MG_3402.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

WesV

Y-Block King
Jim,
Just out of simple curiosity, does that use a standard Indak key, or is it an IH key?

DrMaserati

High Wheeler
Chrispucci said:
But I am beginning to worry about you....

Are you going to be the old guy with 47 trucks, 8 mowers, 10 trailers, etc, etc....

I sure hope we don't need to have an intervention with you :D
No need to worry. I can quit anytime I want to. :rolleyes:

And guess what else I saw today. A self-propelled IH rotary lawn mower. With electric start, no less. :eek: I think I see it in my future.

Addicted? ME??? Nah. Never happen. :rolleyes:

Last edited: