BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New 71 Scout II Owner in CA Doesn't have a clue!

Binder TV

eyeluv2fish

Farmall Cub
I just picked up a 71 Scout II with a 304 and a manual tranny. I don't know #%$^&* about this thing but I've always wanted to own a binder and finally talked my wife into it. If there is anyone that has a similiar rig, I would love to talk to you. I'm interested in knowing what parts are interchangeable with other model years, where to get parts, what are the quirks of the 304 ect... This rig runs fine but I know I'm going to have to rebuild soon. Considering putting a Chevy 350 in it. Is this possible without a bunch of modifications?

thanks

eyeluv2fish@hotmail.com

Dennis Bernth

Staff member
Welcome to the asylum, here we all speak your addiction :eek: For some basics; pretty much all parts are interchangeable between Scout II's from the first one like you have (does the sticker in the glovebox say 'Scout 810'? Those are the very first Scout II's) till the last one in 1980. Obviously some things are different- the Scout II's that had AMC I-6's in them used different motor mounts on the frame, the wiring was changed somewhere around 1978 to a better system than the older Scout II's used, axles and transfer cases were changed during the model run- but most parts will be the same. A hood from a 1980 will slip right on your 71, as would a top, quarter panels, front fenders, all of it. A 345 from a 1980 is a drop in swap, and you can get a T-19 with bellhousing from a later model and slam it right in with minimal changing. There are guys on here who have gone the Chevy route, and they're happy with it, but most of us stick to IH power. The IH engine is a medium truck engine in a light vehicle- as such, with proper maintenance it's unlikely you'll ever wear one out. Swapping to a Chevy will take adapters for the bellhousing to engine ($$$$$), and I think the consensus is if you want to go that route go GM all the way- engine, trans and transfer case to keep it simple. You'll still have to redo the frame engine mounts, crossmembers, etc., but it will be cheaper than the adapter. What makes you think your IH engine is in need of a rebuild? Lots of times, issues with these engines are caused by people not knowing the little 'quirks', such as being timed off of #8 cylinder instead of the usual #1. Post on the Tech Talk forum any problems you have, and people will jump on and help you out- searching the forum is also very productive, and just browsing for things that 'sound' in the title like your problem can keep you reading for hours and give you a pretty good idea of how the site works and a basic understanding of these engines. Again, welcome!

Dan Powlus da duke

Binder Driver
Eyeluv2fish -

Welcome ... I know little myself, but there is a ton of info out there if you look around. Parts as well are not commonplace, but they're not impossible to find either. Lots of different companies that are called Light Line suppliers that have a range of products from door gaskets to remanufactured engines.

And I'd have to agree with Dennis. One of the appeals of the IH is the power, chevys are good for race cars, but for something TOUGH, it's gotta be IH.

My 2c worth, :)
Dan