Never Enough Champagne

Discussion in 'Binder Builds' started by oneof3k, Feb 27, 2018.

1. J.J.

J.J. Lives in an IH Dealership

the patience of Job, not to get all Biblical on your thread, but at least there is not a Sponge Bob, YET that is hahaha.

Not my battle but I vote for paint, can fix that. Powder not so much. Suggestion too on the rubber, Every now and then I will use spray silicone on mine to lubricate and keep pliable. Someone will probably spank me for that comment but Im nearly 30 years in and no problems on any of my junk.

JJ in TN

800bman and oneof3k like this.
  2. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Yep I badmouth powder coating but it’s coming along. Just sucks if it gets damaged has to be stripped and redone, and Ed I know sometimes you get nicks and scratches and I’m helping you avoid the headache. For all others that want options on the wing windows this is the best color option I’ve found readily available, Ed has his paint situation already solved....
    6E3595F8-C4F1-4A0C-AC27-0C3092165FC9.jpeg

oneof3k likes this.
  3. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Not quite close enough to the CO San Juan Mnts
    When you two clowns get your act together and figure out which wing/vent window you might need for Columbus, get me some specs and/or a pic. The next time I'm up at Coonrod's, I can take a look to see if he has any, either the plain Jane or the SS version. He has Scout II windows coming out of his rear end but not sure about older trucks.

The junk comment could be taken at least two different ways (personal junk :detective:and IH junk:ihtractor:). Plz don't tell me you use silicone on both!

I too have been using silicone oil and it does help restore older rubber. But it doesn't bring back real hardened rubber from the dead. I soaked my rubber bulkhead electrical connectors, firewall grommets, etc. in said stuff for months and it helped. I'm currently applying silicone to the window seals on a daily basis until I put them back together again.

IMG_5573.jpg

IMG_5574.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
    800bman likes this.
  4. Perdido

Perdido Farmall Cub

I too have been using silicone oil and it does help restore older rubber. But it doesn't bring back real hardened rubber from the dead. I soaked my bulkhead rubber connectors, firewall grommets, etc. in said stuff for months and it helped. I'm currently applying silicone to the window seals on a daily basis until I put them back together again.

I’ve been soaking my rubber bits in SuperClean to remove dirt, grease and overspray and even the hard rubber softens up quite a bit. It also leaves the rubber looking close to new, not perfect, but much nicer.
    Rut

oneof3k likes this.
  5. J.J.

HAHAHAHA Ill never tell!

JJ in TN

Perdido likes this.
  6. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Painted up the door and wing/vent window frames, let them bake in the sun in our living room for a few days, then put them back together. I was all excited to install them but unfortunately, I forgot to paint the all the related fasteners. So those are now soaking in some rust go bye bye solution, followed by some paint in a few days.

IMG_5575.jpg

IMG_5577.jpg

IMG_5578.jpg

I think it was worth taking the wing/vent windows apart. It allowed me to fully lube up the seals, polish the chrome knob, and only cost perhaps :twocents: in rivets!

I'm not sure if I would take the door windows apart for the next build.... I spent too much time trying to get the seals back into the frames. They either did not sit quite right (sagged) or they ended up inside the frames.

IMG_5582.jpg

IMG_5585.jpg

Next to the cost of paint and paint supplies, it's ridiculous how much the window guides cost me. I sure hope that these, in addition to updating the regulators, will allow for one-handed up/down window operation!

IMG_5583.jpg

Full disclosure: I stole Jay Maitland's paint color (VHT SP188 Wheel Paint Ford Argent Silver) from his '65 build. Real close to stock, but has a bit of a metallic hue which I kinda like. Don't take that personally 800bman!

Chris Cooper, Perdido and 800bman like this.
  7. Randall Barringer

Randall Barringer Y-Block King

Those look fantastic and I can't wait to see them installed. Definitely worth the effort.

jeff campbell likes this.
  8. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

Those turned out really nice Ed..!!!

9. 800bman

800bman High Wheeler

Very nice!

10. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Thx Gents. Windows are in but that "adventure" will be documented in the next posting.

First off, as I'm still counting down the weeks before I can resume something close to real work, I took the opportunity to tally up the various types of builds at this particular point in time. On the first page, that would be 13 Scout IIs and various iterations, six full-sized IHs, and only one Scout 80 or 800 build. It's a good thing my uncle, the former Mayor of NY City, thinks that we can stretch that number to 7 without admitting any distruths. In fact, he thinks that there may be some conspiracy theories being circulated against Scout 80/800s. Maybe they will take center stage in a week?

Even though I could get the doors (with or without windows) to close properly, they did require a bit of persuasion. Maybe even a lot. I ended up taking all the guts out of the doors and then took them apart as far as I could. Lubed up all the moving parts, performed some minor body work (rebending some tabs) reinstalled them, readjusted everything, but they still weren't closing easy peasy. Turns out the door dovetail receptors (I'm sure there is a better name for that animal) were acting their age. New ones at ScoutFarts only cost $161. After some lubing and exercising and threats, they finally got with the program. I can now fully close the doors without any appreciable effort! From both the inside and outside.

Outside. Yet another sore point. I really dislike saggy mammary glands and saggy door handles. Can't do much about the former, but after a bit of investigation, I found that the square rod connected to the door handle to the guts was/were slightly worn. It's amazing that just a small amount of wear can cause the handle to sag a lot! I added a bead of weld to the rod and ground it down, test fitted, ground it down, test fitted..... you get the picture. They are now about 90% better and now lay flat like they should. Hot Damn. Didn't bother to see what new outside door handles cost at my favorite above LL dealer, but probably more than I paid for the truck!

Now for some pics, not of the above but related to a couple of questions for those 80/800 affectioners. First, can anyone tell be the purpose of the third hole in the door? Nothing there to adjust or access that I can tell.

IMG_5613.jpg

It now has a plug but.....

IMG_5668.jpg

Second, there were a couple of openings (holes) backed by either weld nuts or a plate (can't recall which) behind the PS seat and below where a bulkhead would go if so equipped. Perhaps the IH engineers were decades ahead of their time and fitted the area for child latches? I filled the openings with some extra screws but....

unknown holes.jpg

That's all for now. Stay happy and consider staying at home next week.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2021
    Chris Cooper and Perdido like this.
  11. Arkansas Dave

Arkansas Dave High Wheeler

Good looking job your doing there Ed! I like to see things going back together all nice and clean and looking factory new. I hope mine looks half that good.

AD

12. Kohler

Kohler Farmall Cub

Thanks for not following up with documentation of that one...
    Excellent work also. That paint colour can look drastically different depending on the lighting... because the metallic maybe?

oneof3k likes this.
  13. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

Thx Dave! It is certainly much easier and rewarding to deal with clean and nonrusty parts. This build is a lot like yours; taking forever!
    Mark, a year or so ago I recall you saying something like you're damn near an "expert" at painting having shot 3-4 gallons! I'm in the same boat; freely admit I don't have much of a clue. So is the aluminum flakes in the metallic paint what causes the color variations? Or lighting? Or dog hair? Or Jupiter's orbit around the sun? Best to ask someone with real knowledge.

Arkansas Dave and Kohler like this.
  14. J.J.

I vote for Jupiters orbit! HAHAHA

JJ in TN

800bman likes this.
  15. oneof3k

oneof3k High Wheeler

To Roll or Not To Roll....

As noted in the above posting, the door and wing/vent windows are in their permanent home so I can now move onto the next challenge. During installation, a few choice words may have escaped from my mouth, but in hindsight, the job was not all that difficult. Just like most things Scout or IH or life in general, with a bit of experience, luck, and thought, the job goes a lot smoother! Next build, next build, next build!

Here's how I installed the windows. Not saying this is the best way, but it worked for me.
    1. Access to the internal door opening mechanisms are nearly impossible to fully lube/adjust with the window regulator and window in place, so make sure that those components are working to your standards beforehand.
    2. Install the rear window channel (I left the front channel inplace). I documented that project quite a while back. One can purchase a rear window channel guide but I chose to make my own out of felt. IMG_4445.jpg
    3. Install the regulator. The hardest part for those of us that are mentally challenged was to figure out which one was the DS and which the PS. That and trying to figure out how to keep most of the grease from transferring from the regulator onto one's hands and arms during install! I rebuilt and powder coated the regulators some time ago. Window reg3.jpg
    4. Raise the regulator most of the way up and place the window on top of the regulator arms. I highly recommend paying way too much for the front channel guide that screws onto the leading edge of the window as previously documented. Then, carefully place the window frames onto the arm "pins" one side at a time. Then install the regulator clips in the back of the pins to hold the window in place. Test operation of the window noting that it won't be perfectly smooth without the wing/vent window front channel in place.
    5. Install the outer rubber squeegee strip to the door with the window all the way down. Note that the manual says to do this before anything but I disagree as it was real hard to get the rear window channel in place and somewhat hard to lower the window in place.
    6. Place the felt strip onto the door.
    7. Install wing/vent window.
    8. Test window operation.
    9. Adjust the front channel if needed. In my case, one side fit well, the other side required minor adjustment.
    10. Congratulate yourself! :beer:
    IMG_5620.jpg

IMG_5621.jpg

Window down....

IMG_5677.jpg

IMG_5675.jpg

IMG_5673.jpg

IMG_5669.jpg

Soooooooo, how do they operate? I've never owned a Scout before that didn't require two hands to lower and raise the windows until now! The DS is truly an index finger and thumb operation. The PS is a bit harder, but still easily done with one hand. I suspect the PS rear window channel felt is binding the window operation slightly, so that should improve with continued operation. Rattles? What rattles. I always thought that Scout windows were designed to have 1/2" of side-to-side play. The bottom line? Who needs power windows.

I don't think any single window part was responsible for the ease of operation, rather it was the sum of all parts. So don't cheap out by only throwing a bunch of grease on the regulator and expect smooth easy operation. Take the time and money to do it right. It makes Scout ownership sooooo much more pleasant!

Epilogue. While I try to support our LL dealers and especially Coonrod's, one can save a lot of green backs by purchasing parts such as regulator clips, window felt kits, etc. from alternate sources.

What's next on the to do list? TBD, but I will say that Kate was not at all impressed with the addition of some new furniture!

IMG_5685.jpg

Enjoy the weekend all!

800bman and Arkansas Dave like this.
  16. Jeff Jamison

Jeff Jamison Lives in an IH Dealership

Thats a great picture,shows alot of needed details.

17. mongocanfly

mongocanfly High Wheeler

I need to send you my doors and let you fix them..hana...looks great..!!