BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Never Enough Champagne

oneof3k

High Wheeler
In the movie shoot pic I spied a Kona. HAHA. My 100 year old Aunt Nance says she doesn't trust anyone who doesn't pull a cork.

It is admirable that you have made this happen Ed, its all bout the details.

And probably to Kate as from what can be seen in the pics it is an all over the house project. I guess she spared you the going up and down the stairs and using the kitchen floor maybe HAHAHA
There are still a few of the Kona's left, but not many! And thx for the kind words JJ, I hope that someone else down the road might consider embossing too. At the least, it should give said person(s) a starting point. As to the stairs, I call it physical therapy and yes, the embossing project was all over the house. And still is! Kate, bless her heart, draws the line at (most) Scout activities!

Ok...I see now....tell that sa son of yours, when he builds his own correctly restored Scout , that you may listen to him then....!...but me, just dont pay me no mind...I was just curious more than anything..
Not sure if the kid would have much interest in a five-decades old Scout, but I'll let him know! He's definitely not shy about pointing out many of my faults, but that trait may have come from his old man.

800bman

High Wheeler
Quite the compliment C2. Whether home projects or field work (during my working days), I often had to figure out a way to cross the finish line without breaking the bank or purchasing tools used only for a couple of occasions. This is yet another reason why I like this Scout building stuff so much; it's generally easy physically but it requires a bit of mental prowess to succeed. Unless of course one has lots of experience, money, or a shop as big as one's house, of which I have neither!

So I've been laying low (or on my back) the past few weeks recovering from some medical procedures and pretty much being bored out of my mind. Hopefully by the end of the year I'll be able to become somewhat more functional. In the meantime....

I finished the heat embossed seat inserts/panels for Barb and the Lil Sh!t. Here's either the DS or PS backs and bottoms:

View attachment 183630

And the rear seat:

View attachment 183631

And for reference, a pic of one of my original back seats (that does indeed have welting incorporated into the covers Greg). Interesting that the fronts do not.

View attachment 183632

I'm sure glad I had a couple of CSs with original seats so I could duplicate the pattern.

As the finished inserts/panels have a tendency to curl at the edges, I had to McGyver :tt2: a temporary storage using what few available weights I had on hand.

View attachment 183633

Don't be concerned, the boxes were never filled with any product, rather they were left over from a movie shoot!

In the unlikely event anyone has an interest, I'll summarize how I embossed the panels.

Step 1: Sample product from one or more of the above boxes.

Step 2: Cut your vinyl into appropriate sized panels, glue some 1/4" sew foam onto the back, and mark the area one wishes to emboss (last step only required for those that are mentally challenged).

View attachment 183635

View attachment 183636

Step 3: Design and make an embossing mold to fit whatever pattern you wish to duplicate. For RCS and CS Scouts, 1-1/2" angle iron welded together works.

View attachment 183634

Step 4: Preheat oven, grill, nuclear reactor, etc. and apply a trace amount of peanut oil or other high temp substance to the mold edges to prevent the hot mold from sticking to the vinyl. Place mold into your heat source of choice.

Step 4: Make a working surface for the magic to happen. I used a 5/16" steel plate as the base. Place your vinyl insert onto the working surface.

Step 5: Take your mold out of your heat source and quickly place onto the top of the vinyl surface. (FYI, the angle iron I used turned out to be a wonderful heat sink and would thus rapidly dissipate the heat). Then I used a second 5/16" steel plate, followed by some additional weight. I found it critical that one use Toyota rotors first, followed by some Volvo rotors next. Not sure how your embossing would turn out if you used Chevy or other rotors!

View attachment 183637

Step 6: Continue to sample any liquid product that may still be available.

That's it in a nutshell. There are many variables that need to be considered such as the mold temperature, the amount of weight, and the duration of the pressing. Those variables depends on the vinyl, the area of the mold (or psi), and other factors. It's more art than science. At least it's not political.

Next up is to try and recreate some sun visor blanks so they can get upholstered at the same time as the seats do.

Have a great day, week, month, and what's left of the year!
I’m impressed.
Get it?
:dig:

J.J.

Lives in an IH Dealership
and someday, you will be driving yourself Kate off that mountain of yours in a brand new 80 !! ?? Maybe parts of that are too late HAHAHA

JJ in TN

oneof3k

High Wheeler
I’m impressed.
Get it?
:dig:
Oh yeah! I just hope that in 20 years I (or the seats) don't get depressed. Get it?
and someday, you will be driving yourself Kate off that mountain of yours in a brand new 80 !! ?? Maybe parts of that are too late HAHAHA
The only way I'll be driving this Scout off the mountain will be downhill. Someday.

Still no significant Scout work as of late, just a few little things here and there. I went up to Coonrod's a few days ago so see if I could secure a couple of old sun visors solely for the "guts" as I'm short two (I want to get the sun visors for all three CSs done at once).

IMG_5522.jpg

Talk about repurposing junk! Trying to locate stock Scout 80 sun visors are nearly impossible so I had to settle for some 800 visors. I did take the time to clean these two 800s up and one from an 80.

IMG_5531.jpg

IMG_5534.jpg

In the past I also freshened up the rear view mirror bracket and a sun visor clip.

IMG_4109.jpg

IMG_4364.jpg

Now, on a more important note, the reason Phil (Coonrod) was not open for the past few months was that he had major car issues on the way to Indiana, while there, and even on the way back to Colorado. But he's back now! He was in the process of acquiring a non Scout IH product which I just recently learned about when I got to his shop.

S II tailgate wheel3.jpg

I think he said this was a Korean war vintage firearm but don't quote me on that.

So the past year or so I've hinted that I might need to expand my IH knowledge. I'm not into old firearms but old Scouts... How about a Scout II? I haven't found the right vehicle yet, but given that some components are difficult to source in good/rust-free condition, I figured I would start my hoarding of parts with these guys.

S II tailgate wheel5.jpg

S II tailgate wheel6.jpg

I had to include this pic as my older-then-me jade plant is blooming nicer than ever before. And because most of our extra money seems to go to Scout-related items, Kate is forced to save her funds by bringing her geraniums inside for the winter.

x-mas.jpg

And the real reason for this post: to wish everyone a safe, healthy, and Happy Holiday season!

S II tailgate wheel4.jpg

Last edited:

Jeff Jamison

Dont let JJ see that blue steering wheel,he might drive out to you just to beg you for it.I searched for about a year for a visor for passenger side of my 80,then we sold it,my daughter was building it,but needed a daily driver.I will keep my eye out for a couple for you.

J.J.

Oh yeah! I just hope that in 20 years I (or the seats) don't get depressed. Get it?

The only way I'll be driving this Scout off the mountain will be downhill. Someday.

Still no significant Scout work as of late, just a few little things here and there. I went up to Coonrod's a few days ago so see if I could secure a couple of old sun visors solely for the "guts" as I'm short two (I want to get the sun visors for all three CSs done at once).

View attachment 183850

Talk about repurposing junk! Trying to locate stock Scout 80 sun visors are nearly impossible so I had to settle for some 800 visors. I did take the time to clean these two 800s up and one from an 80.

View attachment 183851

View attachment 183852

In the past I also freshened up the rear view mirror bracket and a sun visor clip.

View attachment 183853

View attachment 183854

Now, on a more important note, the reason Phil (Coonrod) was not open for the past few months was that he had major car issues on the way to Indiana, while there, and even on the way back to Colorado. But he's back now! He was in the process of acquiring a non Scout IH product which I just recently learned about when I got to his shop.

View attachment 183855

I think he said this was a Korean war vintage firearm but don't quote me on that.

So the past year or so I've hinted that I might need to expand my IH knowledge. I'm not into old firearms but old Scouts... How about a Scout II? I haven't found the right vehicle yet, but given that some components are difficult to source in good/rust-free condition, I figured I would start my hoarding of parts with these guys.

View attachment 183856

View attachment 183857

I had to include this pic as my older-then-me jade plant is blooming nicer than ever before. And because most of our extra money seems to go to Scout-related items, Kate is forced to save her funds by bringing her geraniums inside for the winter.

View attachment 183865

And the real reason for this post: to wish everyone a safe, healthy, and Happy Holiday season!

View attachment 183858

When I see all that beautiful blue stuff I just go weak. HAHA

and even though the content is wrong, can't help but hear (yes I hear voices in my head opps) Elvis signing Blue Christmas.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!! and a very SAFE Holidays for everyone !!!!!

JJ in TN

( am I being punked or cyber bullied??? HAHA)

Chris Cooper

High Wheeler

View attachment 183850

View attachment 183851

View attachment 183852

View attachment 183853

View attachment 183854

View attachment 183855

View attachment 183856

View attachment 183857

View attachment 183865

View attachment 183858
I remember Roger Mauro...long time ago.

Happy holidays!

oneof3k

High Wheeler
Dont let JJ see that blue steering wheel,he might drive out to you just to beg you for it.I searched for about a year for a visor for passenger side of my 80,then we sold it,my daughter was building it,but needed a daily driver.I will keep my eye out for a couple for you.
Here's the way I look at that steering wheel. If I hypothetically paid $10 for it, I should be able to hypothetically pawn it off on JJ for $50! On a non hypothetical note, he seems to be on a glacier blue collecting spree, so no matter what, I figure I'm going to supplement my retirement budget!
Ed I've probably got some 80 sun visors for you
Thx to both Jeff and Nick for looking out for me and my sun visors needs. It really means a lot that you two and many, many others have offered to help out. As has been said numerous times, this is a great community!

At this moment, I now have all the parts and pieces I need for five complete visors thanks to the two shot 800 visors I got at Coonrod's. (All I needed was the inner sheet metal that goes about the rod.) For whatever reason, Barb came with only a single visor so she will stay that way. However, the Lil Sh!t and Nancey each had two visors. Go figure.

IMG_5535.jpg

I doubt that anyone cares, but I did find it interesting that IH used 1/8" masonite/hardboard on the Scout 80 visors but further cheaped out on the 800s and used paper.

Because sun visor repair is considered "light duty" work in my book, I've been trying to get this project rolling. All five of my Scout 80 masonite/hardboard "forms" were either shot or MIA. Check out this beauty.

IMG_5544.jpg

I used this form as a template and made some new ones out of 1/4" masonite I had lying around.

IMG_5474.jpg

After some shaping and sanding, I cut a slot in the arm end for the sheet metal.

IMG_5547.jpg

And this is how they sit currently. I still need to figure out how to more permanently bond the masonite to the sheet metal (in addition to the contact cement I used). I certainly don't have any way to install the robust staples that came from the factory that can be seen in some of the above pics.

IMG_5550.jpg

Stay out of trouble and away from downtown Nashville. We can only hope that the virus takes out some of the wacked out people in our society.

mongocanfly

High Wheeler
I'm not sure on the Scout Ed , but the pass side visor was a option on my truck..mine only has one also..
And mine was masonite,,,or whatever they used, when I took it to the upholstery shop I told them I wanted a new board on it,,,it was/is all wavy...I took the whole thing so they'd have a pattern to go by..well all they did was wrap the old board...when I called him out on it , he said "no charge"...so I'll live with it for awhile..
I was thinking my air powered staple gun will shoot staples thru the board and the metal clips..then just bend the ends over...if it wont then maybe some brad style rivets

Jeff Jamison

I was thinking rivits also,and on the little metal/chrome clips on the visors,dont throw away as they seem to have stopped making the correct ones.

J.J.

Looking good on those visors my friend. IH doesn't have anything on your cottage skilzzzz HAHA

JJ in TN

oneof3k

High Wheeler
Happy New Years all. We can only hope for better times in 2021. This year's resolution is to finish Barb. Just not saying in which year!

I think I've milked the sun visor resto to the nth degree. Rivets were indeed the way to go. Now off to the upholstery guru.

IMG_5563.jpg

IMG_5565.jpg

I was tired of looking at the box of window felts I ordered several months ago so I took a stab at finding a new home for them. The rubber/squeegee half was straight forward (just snaps into the door). The felt part was a bit trickier but that too was doable with 1-1/2 hands. The felts came predrilled for four staples so one only had to drill the door edge metal and insert the staples. But it turned out that that was not enough mounting locations so I installed more staples between the first four.

Factory and new holes.

IMG_5553.jpg

Insert and hold staples.

IMG_5556.jpg

And then flatten those suckers.

IMG_5557.jpg

First attempt. You can see why I needed to add more staples!

IMG_5558.jpg

IMG_5552.jpg

Then it was door and wing window time. I took a look at what people have done to fancy up (i.e., paint) the door window trim. To me it looked like a lot of work to tape, sand, and then paint everything with the glass in place. So I took the windows apart which would also allow me to identify any issues that would need to be addressed. Thankfully nothing major found! The sides and top of the rubber seals were not distorted and were found to be highly flexible. The bottom seals (exposed to more of mother nature) were somewhat stiff but still useable.

IMG_5570.jpg

Now the wing windows were another story. It turns out that the original ones had seen a hard life the past 55 years; the PS rubber was too deteriorated for my liking and the DS window had a broken pivot pin (but good rubber). Both issues could be addressed but why make life hard? So I did what any normal person would do; try and rob some better ones. The wing windows on the Storage Shed were indeed better so I started removing them. Half way through I remembered that I inherited a set from a recent parts haul of mostly 800 parts. Turns out that those were in great shape with the rubbers in outstanding condition.

IMG_5562.jpg

Once again, I thought that trying to paint the frames with the glass and seals in place would be difficult at best, so I took those apart too.

IMG_5569.jpg

I guess I know what I'll be doing over the next few days! :cornfused:

Enjoy a long weekend and here's to a great 2021! :beer:

mongocanfly

High Wheeler
I've been wondering about whether to paint or powder coat my vent window frames..
I would have thought for sure you would break out the powder for yours ..
All looking good...

oneof3k

High Wheeler
I've been wondering about whether to paint or powder coat my vent window frames..
I would have thought for sure you would break out the powder for yours ..
All looking good...
While the decision to powder coat or paint the wing windows is still a few days off, I'm leaning to paint because:
1) Josh badmouths powder coating,
2) I can't fit the door window frames in my oven so those will have to be painted,
3) I'm planning to keep the rear (fourth side) rubber seals attached to the frames, and
4) Paint is already bought and paid for.

But honestly, I didn't even think about it!

mongocanfly

High Wheeler
Haha...4 reasons is better than 1 I guess....
One of the orig Columbus doors on the pass side, came from a 59 after the big wreck Dad had..the vent window frame looks to be stainless, could be chrome but it's in extremely good shape if its chrome..but I've only got the one..
The rest are-were painted....I'll probably wind up painting mine as well..

mongocanfly

High Wheeler
Could be Jeff..I know the stainless one came from a B120 donor truck...
I'd like to find another one for the driverside..but I'm not sure I could get the ss one I have outta the door without destroying it..