BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Scout Thread ~ Take 2

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Here's my personal Scout. For the past week or so I've been finishing it off, making little tweeks and so forth. Here's the stats:

Started with:
1979 Scout Traveller Plow truck. Ran OK but needed some serious help (think it sat too long). I converted it to a Terra.
345 w/ 4bbl. When warm it would run pretty good, but it sucked gas like there was no tomorrow. I installed a DUI last week and yesterday threw Rusty's ThermoQuad on it ~ Runs and starts immediately now, no need to wait for warm-up proceedures. It even passed smog without carb adjustments and on the first time! :D :cool:
Trans and T-case are stock: TF727 and a D20
the big changes are from the frame down ~ as you might have guessed. I went with a SkyJacker 2" Softride spring, Basic SOA, X-duty Shackles (stock length), Poly Bushings, and kept the newish shocks that were on it (fronts are Heckthorn rear are ruff country ~ I may have them mixed up). CV-Style Driveshafts front and back (the only way to go). Finally instead of a Z-Style DragLink, I went with full HySteer (gotta love that turning radius).
The axles were the next thing to be changed. Since I was going a little higher than normal, I used slightly wider axles. The front has a D44 from a 72's Travellal but we put 4.27s (open) and some new guts (Ball Joints, Wheel Bearings, etc.). From the spindles out are Scout II (stock stuff from original front axle) brakes and so forth.
The rear axle is out of a 79 'big' Bronco ~ so its a Ford 9" rear Axle. These are stronger than D44s (shafts, gears and housing). Rebuilt with 4.27, Detroit (full) locker, TSM Rear Disc Brake and new Shafts w/ Bearings and seals.
Tires are 36x12.50 SuperSwamper TSLs. I've currently looking for some replacements, as these ones are OLD and severely out of balance. I've changed them out to 37x12.50 MTRs

Heres some pictures:
terra1.jpg

terra2.jpg

terra3.jpg

terra4.jpg

Its a good Daily Driver! :D :eek: :cool:

EDIT: Oh, by the way FOR SALE! $5500 FIRM ~ See below for more modifications.

Last edited:

oscarthescout

Farmall Cub
Damian Grihalva said:
Its a good Daily Driver! :D :eek: :cool:

Its amazing what I consider a pretty tricked out trail truck (extreme as I would ever build a scout) another person considers a daily driver. :) :eek:
Looks great I want to build a similar scout someday as my trail only scout not my daily driver.

John in KC

Binder Driver
Where is the yellow top? I thought you would go with the white/yellow two tone :eek: !!!

Thanks,

John

It was good to see you :)

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
John in KC said:
Where is the yellow top? I thought you would go with the white/yellow two tone :eek: !!)
:eek: would be the word for the two-tone. The Yellow one is being saved. I heard my BIL is selling the Scout II I put new floors in ~ and I'm thinking a RumbleBee paint scheme would be best for that ~ and that yellow top would lend its 'talent' to that quite nicely. :D

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
oscarthescout said:
Its amazing what I consider a pretty tricked out trail truck (extreme as I would ever build a scout) another person considers a daily driver. :) :eek:
Looks great I want to build a similar scout someday as my trail only scout not my daily driver.
Well, if you were here, I'd let you drive it. Its first trip was a 30 mile trip down the freeway cruising at 70mph to my favorite paintball field. If I had better (ahem, newer) rubber then I could have done 80 without breaking a sweat.

I know some people try to give SOA rigs a bad-wrap for not being drivable, but when they're built right, they drive straighter than stock rigs.

The Heckthorne shocks are crap ~ too stiff, so I may change those, but other than that, she drives straight as an arrow.

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Ok ~ so the terra needs some help...well not really ~ BUT WORK WITH ME! ;)

New Mod list:
  • AFI TBI (Stage II) Status: On the way :cool:
  • Winch Bumper ~ Status: Needs built :(
  • Back-2-Basic Sliders ~ Status: Needs built :(
  • RC Rear Bumper w/ Frame ties (no Carrier) ~ Status: Got it! :D
  • 20% Tint on side and rear windows ~ Status: DONE :cool:
  • Reverse Shackle System ~ Status: Needs installed :(
  • 37x12.50 MTRs ~ Status: needs picked up and installed ( :eek: blizzard
  • yesterday will hold that off :( )
  • Rust repair ~ Status: on hold till I'm rewarded state lotto winings! (and I don't play :eek: )

Last edited:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Redneck Scout said:
Thats a very nice rig. Not to get off subject but what happened to Rusty?

Thank you. Rusty is on the back-burner ~ as they say. Frankly I was driving a 1990 Ford Bronco and it was killing me. I arranged the trade of this Terra for as part-payment for a job and decided to fix it up as a shop truck.. To put it bluntly, I wanted to drive a scout again, so I built the Terra for a DD ~ Rusty will be my wheeler, and I'm still working on it ~ I just needed something to keep my sanity. Know what I mean?

As far as Rusty is concerned, I have been working on it ~ just haven't been able to spend much $$ which slows things down quite a bit. The latest updates can be found at:
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?p=211536#post211536

Come to think of it, the additional lift of the RS kit, along with moving the front axle forward (on terra) really changed my front driveline length ~ a problem I couldn't overcome quickly so I had to cancel out of a wheelin' trip tomorrow. So instead of wheeling tomorrow I'm going in to work on MiniBuild #3 and little stuff on Rusty.

COscouts

Farmall Cub
Yea, this TERRA is pretty freakin cool!!!!!

I'm torn between SCOUT2's and some TERRA's. SCOUT2 is my pick over anything else INTERNATIONAL wise, but I have seen some well done TERRA's that look outstanding and come somewhat close to SCOUT2's in my opinion.

Thanks for the eyecandy!! :D

mbf80

Farmall Cub
Damian Grihalva said:
Here are some before pictures of the interior
terra6.jpg

terra5.jpg

soon to post pictures of the new 20% tinted windows and bed-lined interior.

That is a cool Scout. Btw - Where did you get that console?

Matt F.

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Bump!

Anyway, just wanted to give an update on the Terra. The Terra was traded to a guy in Idaho when I needed something bigger for our family. So I traded straigh across for the Travelette .

Mark, the new owner, then had me take it to Chris Keck for a complete rust repair (new floors, rockers, SSII inserts, etc). When Chris was done, we got it back and put our Traveller Cage in it and Mark drove it home to Boise. Like a freakin idiot I didn't take any pictures of it after the cage or body work. I've been hassling mark for updated pictures, but he's got the Terra under wraps until winter is over. Then it'll get a new paint job and then maybe I'll get some pictures.

So yeah, it drove, on the freeway, about 1000 miles ~ no problem. Another testimonial to a properly done SOA!

mmuthart

Farmall Cub
Damian Grihalva said:
Bump!

Anyway, just wanted to give an update on the Terra. The Terra was traded to a guy in Idaho when I needed something bigger for our family. So I traded straigh across for the Travelette .

Mark, the new owner, then had me take it to Chris Keck for a complete rust repair (new floors, rockers, SSII inserts, etc). When Chris was done, we got it back and put our Traveller Cage in it and Mark drove it home to Boise. Like a freakin idiot I didn't take any pictures of it after the cage or body work. I've been hassling mark for updated pictures, but he's got the Terra under wraps until winter is over. Then it'll get a new paint job and then maybe I'll get some pictures.

So yeah, it drove, on the freeway, about 1000 miles ~ no problem. Another testimonial to a properly done SOA!

It only got about 5 MPG (clogged exhaust) but yes it drove great! Just ask my wife, she drove it from Steamboat Springs to Boise with no doors and only a bikini top - what a woman!!

I've got all used/nice interior pieces waiting to go in, just need to splurge for the full rhino liner. I need to do some fender trimming before she's trail worthy. I'd like to have her Moab ready by next Fall. I can tell from the bit of fooling around I've done around Boise, that it's going to be a very capable trail rig. The extra wheel base is a huge plus.

I'll definitely post some pics. Damian when I feel there's something worth sharing. Hope the Travelette is treating you well!!

Mark

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
5 MPG? Wow, I got 8 at the worst and 10 after the DUI/Carb change (city). I knew the exhaust was going 'the way of all the earth' and it popped the muffler on the return trip from Keck's body work.

Your wife drove it back? Like 900-1000 miles back!?!? Dang man, quite a woman you got there. Most wives don't want to be seen in their hubby's scout...let along drive them (topless/doorless) over a long...ahem.... LONG distance. Man, I hope the radio worked! ~ oh wait, the doors and top are gone, no radio either.... Wow, she really took one for the team eh?

Glad you're impressed so far with the way the suspension/powertrain works. You stated you drove it, did you replace the exhaust yet. Can't wait to see the thing painted all pretty and stuff. Its going to be a sick rig, I'm sure you'll take 1st in some IH roundups for extreme class Super-Scout-Traveller class.

I can't tell you how much we want to see pictures of the way it sits now. Think of this as a progression thread, you see it the way I had it first, then the what I did, step by step, only makes sence not to skip steps you know ;)

Anyway, ya, the T-ette is still my DD for now. LIke you the first thing I needed to do was have the exhaust swapped out. Its got 2.5" Dual exhaust now with 3-chamber turbo mufflers. Didn't cost much ($300) but helped a ton. Needs a tune again. And I'm going to putting a Turbo deseil in it before too long. It was a great starting point, just need to keep it going.

Serious man, if you haven't already, get an exhaust job on that thing ~ Power and economy will come back to where it should be. I'd say 2.5" single tube w/ small glass-pack to a 2-chamber turbo ~ or go with a 3-chamber turbo and kill the glass-pack. Or duals w/ cross over with 2/3-chamber turbos. VROOM!

dsyes

Farmall Cub
Ok Mark, which side of town do you live on???? I'm pretty up on the majority of scouts in Boise, and I haven't seen Rusty driving around yet.

Dan

mmuthart

Farmall Cub
dsyes said:
Ok Mark, which side of town do you live on???? I'm pretty up on the majority of scouts in Boise, and I haven't seen Rusty driving around yet.

Hey Dan,

I'm in Eagle, but haven't driven the new rig around much at all. It's resting in the garage waiting for some funds to free up. Like Damian mentioned it's got Black SSII door inserts - doors and half cab are gone. As soon as the weather gets nice I'll take it in for that new exhaust that it needs so bad.

Contact me at mark.muthart@hp.com if you'd like. I'll go and try to figure out what you're driving around town.

Mark