My 63 Scout 80 Build

Discussion in 'Hill Country Binders - Central TX' started by Tres03, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

Ok, due to the high pressure put upon me by Davis I now have to start this thread. Please be nice to me because I dont really have it all in order. Here is what has transpired over the last few years. "It's a slow build"

I bought the 63 scout as a rust free scout or so I thought. Not as rusty as some but still had rust. The pictures below show how it was when I bought it. It was a mess when I got it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It had a ford 289 V-8 in it when I got it. The 289 was in really really bad shape and needed a rebuild. So I yanked it out and put in a Ford 351w. I didnt like that combo so I put in a 6.2 Diesel V-8 with a TH400 auto and a 208 Transfercase. Its a J Code diesel so no emissions junk on it.

I then swapped out the stock axles that were spring over and put in Scout II dana 44's and stayed spring over.

I have also done a Hydroboost conversion and a Scout II powersteering gear box.
    Rewired the entire scout front to back.
    New diamond plate floorboards 1/8" thick.
    High Back Seats on Chevy Blazer seat pedestals.
    Full Size Chevy radiator with tranmission and engine oil cooler lines.
    Chevy Truck Steering column cut down to fit.
    4 Wheel Disc Brakes with all new steel brake lines.
    New rear drive shaft.
    36" tires Good Year military Oz wranglers.
    Pipe Front Bumper.
    Reverse Shackle.
    2.5" wide springs.
    Re-worker saddle fuel tank with added vent and fuel return line for the fuel injection.
    New Flush mount Chrome Diesel fuel filler.
    Scout 800 Dash "Still working on this" to fit with the folding windshield.

I'm also going to try my hand at rebuilding the powersteering gear box and I will post pictures of this as I go.

I will keep posting pictures through out the next few days until I get caught up on the build.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. neo

neo Farmall Cub

Re: My 63 Scout 800 Build

Nice! Looking forward to more posts!

On the PS box rebuild - I have a box I've been meaning to take to west tx offroad for a rebuild ($140). If there are others interested I would be willing to make the trip to take mine along with ya'lls up there.

One the other hand, if you gotz mad skillz to rebuild that box, maybe I could just have you do it :).

3. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

Re: My 63 Scout 800 Build

Neo,

I think I am definatly mad but the I fall short of the skills part. The rebuild kit cost 36.00 at rock auto. I will try this first. If it doesnt work out and I mess it up a bunch I will send mine with yours. I should know in a few days.

Here are some more picture of the 80 from when I got it. The seller also said it comes with the rare glove box delete option. hahahahha Which is a new dash panel covering the old to cover up all the hacking that was done to the orginal dash panel. Oh, and I slmost for to mention that the steering column that was in it was just the steering shaft. No outer part to it. Sweet huh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. db1115

db1115 High Wheeler

Awesome! I cant wait to see more. The before pics already look way better than Chris described it. :D

5. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

Now thats just mean. :gun_bandana:

Chris is a mean mean man. I knew he was smack talking about my junk. I am cutting him off of the cookies now.

I dont know if it looks better now or not. I think it looks about the same except I removed the top and doors. The top is trashed, there are holes all over it and some big dents. I am missing a driverside door handle and the doors are not in really good shape either. Maybe I can talk Chris into making me a set of the tube doors. Of course they wont look as good on my piece of junk as they do on his beautiful scout with Gold Emblems. :D

6. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

Davis, talking of Chris. Did you happen to see the new wheels he put on his scout? They are Super Fly Wheels man.

[​IMG]

7. ziggybock

ziggybock Farmall Cub

That's because it looked better before Tres started...:D:D:D

Peer pressure from Davis..... That is a dangerous line to walk. Next you will want to paint your truck gold and move into a trailer on cinder-blocks out in the piney woods....

Looking good Tres. Let me know when you try the rebuild on the PS, I might try to swing by and help out. A cookie fix couldn't hurt either.

Let's see some up to date pics!

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  8. db1115

db1115 High Wheeler

Wow! LMAO! I see no more ham samiches in your future. :chef:

9. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

Your a mean man Chris but it true, It just might have looked better before I started this whole thing.

Here is an update. The pictures are not very good. The camera was dead so I took the pictures with my wifes phone.

Here are pictures of the dash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If any one wants to see a certain picture let me know.

10. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

The dash of course is an 800 Dash going into an 80. Its pretty easy to do it. But you have to change some stuff around.

Here are a couple of other pictures. The first ones are of the Reverse Shackle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know these are really dark. If I have time I will shoot some others.

The reverse shackle is made up of 4" x 4" x 1/2" square tubing. Contectinf the two is 3" x 3" x 1/4 Square tubing. Its welded to the bottom of the frame all the way around. Then gusseted by 1/4" 3" x 3" that cut at a 45 degree angle. I am also going to plate the outside with a diamond to tie it to the frame a little more.

The springs are 2.5" wide YJ 2.5" lift springs with a ton of flex. I get over 5"s of droop on this spring.

11. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

The next pictures are dark but its of the Hydrobooste I put in from a full size diesel blazer. You guys have seen all of this before so I wont go into great detail about it unless you want me to.

Dana 44 axles running 4 wheel disc brakes. The rear disc brakes use a caddy caliper with emergency brake and a 2001 Dodge 1/2 tom front rotor. All new brake lines were bent with the help of some guy named Chris with gold wheels on his scout. And RandyZ was the man for when it came to bending and flaring the lines.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next under the hood shot is the radiator. This is a brand new raditator out of a 1997 Chevy 3500 pickup truck with a 7.4 vortec. It has the transmission cooler and engine oil cooler.

[​IMG]

12. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

Next up is a few single pictures.

First the fuel filler neck. This is a marine neck and since I am running a diesel it even says it on the outside of the filler neck.

[​IMG]

This is a couple of pictures of the floor. I cut our all of the old floor and seam welded in 1/8" diamond plate. The floors in this were rusted out and just wouldnt do. I had to cut into the fire wall a little when queezing in the diesel so I could set it back enough. I plated the opening too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

Here are a couple of engine pictures. One is an ok shot and the other is kinda dark.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here is how it sits right now. The dash is going out to paint so I had to strip it all out again but it was to a point where I drove it around the block before I did it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all for now. I will post more up when I get a chance. I will also do a full write up on the PS gear box rebuild and reseal if I dont mess it up.

14. db1115

db1115 High Wheeler

Dude! Looks like alot of work...very cool.

Chris, you have gold wheels now? Do they match your gold emblems? I knew you would come to the dark side eventually.

15. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

Thanks Davis, it is a lot of work but not nearly as much as what you have done and not nearly as nice. I have followed your build for a while now and it is sweet.

Chris though has the coolest gold wheels. I think he needs to do his tube doors in gold to match.

[​IMG]

16. ziggybock

ziggybock Farmall Cub

I think the really dark pictures turned out the best:innocent:

The dash is really coming along nice. Did you decide what gauges you were going to use yet?

Are you going to run just the two saddle tanks or are you still planning on installing a third gas tank? How are you planning on running the fuel lines if you install a third tank? Switch?

Keep it up, it is really turning out great. I am going to have to steal the fuel neck gig, that really looks sharp.:punk:

17. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

The dark pictures did turn out the best. It hides all the bad looking stuff like my welds. :yes:

I have not decided on the guages but what I am leaning towards is the VDO Cockpit Royal guages. I am also thinging about doing a custom guage panel. I seem to have misplaced the ont for this dash and I dont want to rob the one off of the other scout at the ranch. I have a guy I know who can make one for me so I may just go custom after that. I got the idea from D & C but I went to their site and it doesnt seem that they offer it any more so I guess I will just have to make it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am staying with the saddle tanks for now but when it comes time to put the big tank in between the fuel rails I am going to run an additional fuel switch that way I can switch from either front to back and side to side all with only 2 switches. One switch will control side to side and the other will control front to back. Front being the saddle tanks and back will be the big tank. I am going to run all chevy sending units in all three tanks so they will all match. Makes it easier I think.

I love the fuel neck. It wasnt the way I wanted to go originally but it did turn out slick. I made an elbow out of exaust pipe so it goes from the neck to rubber then to the elbow back to rubber then into the tank. It came out clean. The vent comes out of the top of the tank and I added a fuel return line to the top of the tank too for the fuel injection.

[​IMG]

If you need more pictures of anything or want to see something specific let me know. I am going to be installing the shock towers this weekend on the front and I just might rip into the PS Gear box this weekend too.

I bought shock towers for 34.00 a pair from lowrange off road. They shipped them pretty quick and the cost is about half of some other dealers. The sell parts for suzuki and geos. But it seems everyone uses the ford shock towers. Here is the link. The next cheapest was an IH Vendor for about 42.00.

You know, 8 bucks buys a bunch of cookie dough which keeps the HCB boys happy. :clap:

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/index.php/ford-style-upper-front-shock-towers.html?___store=default

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  18. db1115

db1115 High Wheeler

Youre going diesel?

Contact Damian...he had a few of them left last month and sold me one at a discounted price. :punk:

19. Tres03

Tres03 Binder Driver

They make a gas one for Chris. I think he should get it. Say bye bye to the 2 piece stock junk. I have the regular boat cap for mine so it takes a special key to open it. Now someone cant steal my fuel.

[​IMG]

Is Damien still doing business? I thought he was only doing cages once in awhile? I will contact him to see if I can cut a deal vs. having it built here. Did you get the guages with it or just the panel?

20. db1115

db1115 High Wheeler

He's still doin a few things and has some left over inventory. I only got the dash and glove box panel. I have a set of autometer guages to go in mine.