BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Modern" tire on lock-ring style rim

timpage

High Wheeler
Can the newer non-tube type tires, with a tube added, stand up to use on the old lockring style wheels? Have heard both ways BUT...

Thanks
Tim

timpage

High Wheeler
I guess a better way to word this question is can a Tubeless tire be mounted (useing a tube) on a lock-ring style wheel, and be safe to run? Have heard the bead area on tubeless tires is a bit thinner than the older tube style tires.

Tim

Barney

Farmall Cub
The answer is yes. I have used tubes in tubeless tires on several of my vehicles. They seem to maintain pressure longer than tubeless installations. The drawback to mounting any tire on a split rim is that most tire shops charge up to $28 to repair a flat, at least in my area. Several local shops completely refuse to work on split rims. All our local tire shops fix tubeless tires for free on any regular steel or aluminum rim.

Brian F

Farmall Cub
Yes it probably can be done. However I would suggest replacing them with one peice rims. There is a reason you don't see many of them anymore, and as Barney said many shops refuse to work on them. This is because they have a bad habit of exploding and killing people!

timscout1

High Wheeler
They will work with a tube but not tubeless since the rim is not designed to seal. JUST MAKE SURE YOU USE A RADIAL TUBE, A STANDARD TUBE WILL PINCH AND NOT WORK. I would also find later rims depending on what your bolt pattern is, there are lots that will work with little or no modification. :D

timpage

High Wheeler
Thanks all, that helps alot, though I see it has a few extra drawbacks I hadnt thought of. I am running the old 6 lug x 7.25" (I think thats right) pattern on my '68 1200C... so finding old used lock-ring wheels is a challange let alone getting one piece replacements (though I do know there are some companies that will convert these lock-ring/split rims to one piece, which is considerably beyond my budget from what Ive been able to find). Thanks for the info.

Thanks
Tim