BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Model 111 Chest Freezer - Does anyone know how to disassemble?

Binder TV

Cowboyj16

Farmall Cub
Hello!
I recently picked up a 1952 Model 111 Chest freezer that I'm looking to restore and customize into a Keezer for my brew room. We have a 1900's farm house on a farmette, so it's right at home. It took me a while to find one, and once I found it we barely got it out of the basement it was in. These suckers are heavy... I was expecting it to be heavier than my new ~15 cu ft GE freezer, but I wasn't expecting it to be 4x heavier. I'm now happy it wasn't the model 158 that was advertised (more on that in a bit). The main issue I have now: lack of information! I found a great thread a while ago on a Kelvinator restoration that I'd like to replicate (replace insulation with Foam, sand, re-paint, etc), but the Kelvinator seems much easier to disassemble (exposed fasteners and such). Does anyone know how to take the lid liner and/or the top mating surface of the chest part off without breaking them? Or links to any type of repair information? I'm terrified of breaking pieces, since there aren't exactly replacement parts for these. My other option is to try and find another one in bad shape, make it a sacrifice, and document for the good of all! I have a lead on a real model 158... but it's a couple hours away and also in a basement =\ Owner is skeptical on it being able to make it out in one piece, as there are some tight turns.
Here's the link to that Kelvinator build: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/vintage-kelvinator-freezer-restoration.157113/

My understanding is that my model 111 is non-functional, but I haven't had time yet to see if it's just a bad temp switch. It's actually in really good shape - I'll have to post pictures soon.

Two other questions:
- Is there a link to specs anywhere for this and sister models (158, 70, others)? Dimensions, weight, etc? Otherwise I can document what I have as best as I can.
- Does anyone know why there are 158 models with a 111 sticker inside the lid, and 111 models with a 158 sticker? Mine was listed for sale as a 158 because the sticker inside the lid says 158... but the casting around the thermometer says 111. The 158 I mentioned is the exact opposite. Maybe they were made on the same day and someone messed up which stickers went to which line? =)

scout2000

Lives in an IH Dealership
Wish I had some info to assist, but I don't.

Just wanted to say congratulations on your new freezer find, and welcome to Binder Planet.

Can you post some pictures of your new freezer please?

Greg R

Lives in an IH Dealership
Yes, we need pictures. As to making it in to a kegerator or keezer or something above freezing; I don't recommend it. Refrigeration motor compressors are matched to a specific load be it size or temperature range. Freezer compressors have larger displacements than refrigeration ones because the gas they pump is less dense at freezing temps. Now if you run a freezer compressor in medium +32* temps it will work it's guts out because the gas it's moving is more dense above freezing than below. It'll work, put it's straining and at this age for how long compared to staying a freezer for many years such as my IH freezer that's older than me. When the Klixon overload starts resetting multiple times to start the compressor, you're cooking the motor.

jeff campbell

Staff member
M
Hello!
I recently picked up a 1952 Model 111 Chest freezer that I'm looking to restore and customize into a Keezer for my brew room. We have a 1900's farm house on a farmette, so it's right at home. It took me a while to find one, and once I found it we barely got it out of the basement it was in. These suckers are heavy... I was expecting it to be heavier than my new ~15 cu ft GE freezer, but I wasn't expecting it to be 4x heavier. I'm now happy it wasn't the model 158 that was advertised (more on that in a bit). The main issue I have now: lack of information! I found a great thread a while ago on a Kelvinator restoration that I'd like to replicate (replace insulation with Foam, sand, re-paint, etc), but the Kelvinator seems much easier to disassemble (exposed fasteners and such). Does anyone know how to take the lid liner and/or the top mating surface of the chest part off without breaking them? Or links to any type of repair information? I'm terrified of breaking pieces, since there aren't exactly replacement parts for these. My other option is to try and find another one in bad shape, make it a sacrifice, and document for the good of all! I have a lead on a real model 158... but it's a couple hours away and also in a basement =\ Owner is skeptical on it being able to make it out in one piece, as there are some tight turns.
Here's the link to that Kelvinator build: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/vintage-kelvinator-freezer-restoration.157113/

My understanding is that my model 111 is non-functional, but I haven't had time yet to see if it's just a bad temp switch. It's actually in really good shape - I'll have to post pictures soon.

Two other questions:
- Is there a link to specs anywhere for this and sister models (158, 70, others)? Dimensions, weight, etc? Otherwise I can document what I have as best as I can.
- Does anyone know why there are 158 models with a 111 sticker inside the lid, and 111 models with a 158 sticker? Mine was listed for sale as a 158 because the sticker inside the lid says 158... but the casting around the thermometer says 111. The 158 I mentioned is the exact opposite. Maybe they were made on the same day and someone messed up which stickers went to which line? =)
Maybe both freezers used the same surround ?