BinderPlanet.com

Welcome to BinderPlanet.com the World's Premier IH Website.

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini-Build 11 ~ Steve L

Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
The hinge mechanism is a simple spring bushing in a tube being held between two halves of a shackle. Simple, rebuildable, strong.
mb11_945.jpg

The tire carrier itself is some 1.75" tube, bent in three spots, this will help enclose the spare for safe keeping.
mb11_946.jpg

We then used two straights to build the mount for the tire itself.
mb11_947.jpg

After things were tack-welded together, this is the open position.
mb11_948.jpg

As you can see, this will aid in lifting the tire into place, as well as provide steps for climbing into the back of the Scout.

The problem with mounting the wheel like this, is that you normally want it to face outward ~ for people to see ~ cause lets face it, the back side of wheels ~ even these Champion Wheel Beadlocks ~ isn't nearly as nice as the front. The problem is that the wheel mounting plate is too big for the face of the wheel...
mb11_949.jpg

Here's another view. The plate it just big enough that if we were to bolt it down, it'd scratch the polished surface pretty good.
mb11_950.jpg

So I marked a few cut lines in it, and prepared to trim the plate down to a more usable size.
mb11_951.jpg

After we made darn sure all was well, everything was welded up.
mb11_952.jpg

Picture from the side to show its basic orientation when closed.
mb11_953.jpg

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
To attach it to the cage, we are using the clamps noted before, and a bar on each side that will completely encase the tire.
mb11_954.jpg

Here's another view from straight back.
mb11_955.jpg

Here's the attachment to the tube clamp. As you might guess, these copes were a pain to get right.
mb11_956.jpg

But eventually they worked out well.
mb11_957.jpg

After the pieces were fitted and the tack welds done, we opened the carrier and made everything permanent.
mb11_958.jpg

This is the old 'dead spider' position as we let the tube cool
mb11_959.jpg

Meanwhile the hinge plates also got some welds.
mb11_960.jpg

heman

Farmall Cub
how will that work when you put the top on??? will it be in the way of the straps that come down to tention the top???

have you get it running yet??

when will it be done????

heman

Farmall Cub
yea me too. i talked to damian last friday he said he was going to post more pictures, i haven't seen anything ethier. he said it's almost done 3 month ago. still waiting on that too.

BigRigg

Y-Block King
yea me too. i talked to damian last friday he said he was going to post more pictures, i haven't seen anything ethier. he said it's almost done 3 month ago. still waiting on that too.

Heman,
Good things are worth waiting for.:D You will have one of the nicest scouts on the face of the planet when Damian finishes it up!:punk:

Damian,
Awesome. Just awesome. :rockon:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Well, yes, its taken quite some time. Not all my fault but that's not any of anyones concern. The last three months have been 'Peak' season at UPS (who I drive for full time) so that hasn't been much help. Since the new year ~ and considering they haven't hired drivers for over 3 years, means that I've been working pretty much non-stop on the truck. Especially when you consider that the snow-storms of last few weeks shut down chicago and about 30 other hubs on the east coast, so now we're getting hit with all that volume.

HOwever, Jim and I visited last weekend and things are looking EXTREMELY good. The extremely small amount of stuff left will be taken care of in the next couple weeks, and the hope is to have things finished off within a month.

Like Steve said, we talked last Friday and I've got a TON of pictures to post ~ and hope to soon.

heman

Farmall Cub
i hope so, would like to spend some time driving it with the kid before the next one goes to collage next year.

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Alright, the wrap-around bumper didn't seem enough, so we wanted to build up some side protection in case of trees, rocks, small buildings...whatever might try and vex Cringer. To do this, I got some decent 1" round tube and popped it in the old bender.
mb11_961.jpg

I wanted the bar to follow the fender opening, so a couple 120*ish degree bends where put in them.
mb11_962.jpg

But when we put them in place, it seemed like they were too 'flat' ~ and needed to be angled away from the bumper to make it look right.
mb11_963.jpg

So a couple bends were put where the tube will come off the bumper. This will pop the bars out a bit.
mb11_964.jpg

And so it did. Here you can see the bends bring the tube outwards as the stock body comes outwards.
mb11_965.jpg

Then, it was time to figure out a way to wrap around the body similar to the bumper. So we put a 45* angle down starting where the end-cap is.
mb11_966.jpg

A second bend was needed to keep things tight, but as anyone who has worked with a bender knows, there are some limitations. Benders can't normally bend corners right on top of each other...cleanly. So we actually made two peices and sleaved the tube together here.
mb11_967.jpg

With that, we started looking at places where we could 'land' the tube on the bumper. Close in means that the body line is followed pretty good.
mb11_968.jpg

But I liked the room and look that landing it on the corner of the bumper would give. Here's a side look.
mb11_969.jpg

Still, the tube hugs the body work REALLY well. About 1-2 finger widths all the way around.
mb11_970.jpg

Last edited:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Another view..(all welded up, no sanding).
mb11_971.jpg

Another bar was placed to match the angle of the back bar, this is to tie in some strength between the tube wrap-arounds.
mb11_972.jpg

From the side.
mb11_973.jpg

The bumper was removed as we did some paint work... While removed, I placed a shackle holder in the middle (where you'd expect a tow-hitch to be). So Yes, the bumper will have a anchor point on it.
mb11_974.jpg

Then it was time to get things to the muffler place. So I borrowed Old Sarge's trailer, and loaded up.
mb11_976.jpg

That is one sexy looking scout. You'd be quite amazed at how many people stare when your driving around with this beast on the trailer behind you. Old people, young people, boys, girls, men, women, and everyone in between. It almost gets embarrassing!

As I didn't get a good picture of the steering setup, I wanted to snap this one. Here you can see the ram attached, D-link, TieRod, Panhard/track-bar. Its almost dizzying with the links and such following all the 'stuff'. But I definitely like it.
mb11_975.jpg

Last edited:

Rascus

Farmall Cub
Looks good Damian, all done?

I passed you the other day along Markscheffel and constitution. Need to stop by the shop sometime.

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Looks good Damian, all done?
Its getting there. Definitely not fast enough, but there is amazingly FEW things left. I have more pictures I'll post later, but we have about a weeks worth of 'finish' up work to do before its ready to wheel. Right now, we're hammering out Sonny, then it'll be Cringer's turn.
I passed you the other day along Markscheffel and constitution. Need to stop by the shop sometime.
We're out of the old shop off Valley ~ and back at the house. With the amount of work I'm doing at UPS it didn't make sense to keep a shop space. So everything is at the house now.

heman

Farmall Cub
hey damian, whats been going on with the truck?? i called a couple times left my number on your pager but you don't call back. just left one today 4/2/2011 at 9;35 am. it's been 5 month since oct finish time. whats going on!!! why won't you call me back???

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Sorry about missing your call. My phone was in my wifes van, which is with my wife 'garage sale-ing' early Saturday morning. Which is why I didn't pick up, or call you back. I've sent you an email.

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Last we left off was getting Cringer to the exhaust and brake shop
mb11_977.jpg

Pulled into its own space, I couldn't help but take a few pictures of the beast awaiting some work.
mb11_978.jpg

Good stuff.
mb11_979.jpg

Here's one of my favorites.
mb11_980.jpg

Good stuff.
mb11_981.jpg

I guess it does look like its leaning, but I think its because I'm standing on the planter. The other shots are all at the same place and they don't look like there's a tilt to me.
mb11_982.jpg

Undercarriage shot from the back.
mb11_983.jpg

Here is an example of a driveshaft setup for CVs.
mb11_984.jpg

Notice there is no deflection (bend) in the lower joint where it connects to the pumpkin.

Exhaust ~ comes straight out of the manifold and through the hump in the oil pan.
mb11_985.jpg

Collects near the trans...
mb11_986.jpg

Last edited:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
Past the trans to the muffler next to the t-case.
mb11_987.jpg

Then straight out to the rear suspension where we bent it out to exit behind the tire.
mb11_988.jpg

Another shot of the 2.5" pipe.
mb11_989.jpg

Brakes were done too. We used custom lines from the chassis to the axle then 'T' them at the top of the truss.
mb11_990.jpg

Then they snake along the upper side of the axle to the wheels.
mb11_991.jpg

Where short braided lines connect to the calipers.
mb11_992.jpg

The front is similar but comes from the driver side...
mb11_993.jpg

T's off the axle
mb11_994.jpg

And the hard lines connect near the knuckles to short braided lines.
mb11_995.jpg

mb11_996.jpg

On really flexy suspensions we do the front lines this way to keep the brakes lines from binding, limiting or getting caught in the suspension or tires. Also keeps them HIGH and out of the way.

Last edited:

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
After that, Jim came to pick up the old beast and take it off to the shop for the small amount of finish work. I say small, but honestly, its the small stuff that can take the most time. However, since it was easy, I got a picture of the aluminum radiator.
mb11_997.jpg

With that, Cringer and its related parts were loaded up.
mb11_998.jpg

LOVE the look of the front end. Its freakin' sweet.
mb11_999.jpg

And we were set to go.
mb11_1000.jpg

THAT WAS THE 1000th picture in this thread.

Oh, and here's the rear bumper and tire carrier back from the powdercoater.
mb11_1001.jpg

And this one is the 1001st!

That is a record.

Last edited:

heman

Farmall Cub
Hey damion, just sent you email. Truck looks good,, why does it look like it's leaning to the left? Also, I noticed the steering ram is welded to the dif cover?
Is all the wiring done now? Is it running? Have you tried to top yet? When well it be finished???

Damian Grihalva

High Wheeler
We are now taking care of all the little things. For instance, there was no O2 sensor bung welded into the exhaust, so we're taking care of that. We've installed the bumper and tire carrier ~ which required a small amount of fab work. Right now, we're putting everything together. We started on the air system, now we're finishing it off and testing circuits. I hesitate to say 'how long' simply because I"m not sure. I had Jim look it over and make a list, but he's been helping a buddy with some carpentry skills so I haven't had a chance to go see the list and see how long it is. But as you can see by the last few pictures, he's now got it and its moving along.

To answer the questions. In one picture it does look like its leaning, but really, its not. But still, if it does ~ when we fit the shocks, we will correct that.

Second, no, we didn't try the top.

Wiring is mostly there, just need to finish and tidy things up.

Yes, the ram is on the diff cover. But this is not any regular diff cover. Its 3/8" plate ~ which about the same size as the stock Scout II axle tubes. It's plenty beefy, but that's not all. We used taper-head allen bolts to bolt it onto the diff. That means that the surface area is not limited to the bolts and whichever ONE or TWO bolts is the tightest, but the load from the steering is spread across ALL bolts and the surface area they combine have by the tapers. So its going to be fine.

Last edited:
2022 Arizona International Harvester Rendezvous
Friends of BinderPlanet Facebook Group